Are there any Americans using this service and the eOS?

lol

I live in the USA! I know quite a bit about phones.

AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM
Verizon and Sprint were CDMA

You are a dream come true!!!
Tell me which make and model I should purchase.

You have the answer here :

How did I miss that?

Thanks piero.

Remember, /e/ compatible phones are listed here.

You mean « officially supported »
I share others list

GSI /Device support (Project Treble)

2 Likes

Putting this here as it seems US/CAN customers can now order pre-installed phones.

2 Likes

Excited they’re now shipping to the US! I bought the Galaxy S9 and received it yesterday. I tried using it on my current plan (Cricket, which is on the AT&T network, which is GSM) and it does not work. They told me the device is not supported because they are phasing out 3G. I’m not sure how the two are related, but just a heads up if anyone is in the same boat. Crossing my fingers T mobile will work since that appears to be the only other GSM network in the US…

I’m using a Galaxy S9 SM-G960F D/S purchased on Swappa. I did the conversion to /e/ myself following postings of SusieQ. Switched to T-Mobile on Feb15 because no work on Verizon. No problems so far with T-M. Verizon is also phasing out 3G.

Hello @dsand and welcome. I am using a S9 on the AT&T network via the RedPocket Mobile MVNO without any issues whatsoever. If you’re going to check them out, it’s the “GSMA” plan. Hope that helps and good luck.

@SuzieQ’s postings on loading /e/OS on Samsung devices should be stickies.

1 Like

Hey @mcmd. Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll check that out because I prefer the prepaid route. It seems companies that are on the same network don’t actually ‘work’ the same, so it’s good to hear you’ve had success with RedPocket.

1 Like

You’re welcome! I tested their service for 2 months with the $10/mo plan to verify that all was well before springing for an annual plan. I have both my S6 and S9 on their platform- no issues with 4G LTE at all.

Keep in mind that /e/OS currently doesn’t support VOLTE or WiFi calling at this time, even if the cell provider does (which AT&T via RedPocket does). This functionality is expected in /e/OS version 0.16.

Good luck to you.

1 Like

The S9 is an LTE (4G) phone and very much still supported on the ATT network.

I just had a similar experience with ATT. I transferred the sim from an S7 into an S9 (both running /e/). After the transfer I was able to make several calls successfully on the S9. Suddenly I got a text saying the phone would not work, and to call 611 to get an upgrade. Sure enough the only number I could dial was 611.

At first the rep insisted the phone was not supported so I politely asked to speak to a supervisor. After a few minutes on hold, it turns out she was not aware of (or willing to admit) the fact she had the ability to override this flag. After another minute she activated the phone and it’s working again.

My fellow Americans, how are we finding the /e/ experience so far?

Do your photos sync at all? I.e. between phone and cloud…that’s basically the only thing that doesn’t work for me.

With /e/ on my S9 the only things syncing are contacts and e.email.

I’m in the U.S. and I’ve been using /e/ on a Nexus 6P since the middle of last year. My carrier is T-Mobile.

My wants are minimal: phone calls, texts, occasional web browsing (with Firefox), take pictures & copy them to my laptop, play music. I can do all of those things, with some minor limitations.

The biggest problem I have is that it won’t do VoLTE (voice over the LTE data connection). That leaves me with marginal voice service at home, I live in a rural area with a weak cell signal. Data works well - I regularly tether my laptop for internet access.

If I remember correctly, syncing photos needs a change in settings to sync files. There’s no fine control of this - it’s all files, or no files. Since I have 128 GB of storage in my phone and can manually copy files to my laptop, I’ve never bothered to turn this on. I could fill my /e/ account storage limit and still have a lot of room on the phone.

The only setting I know of is in Accounts->Account Sync. Is there another? Maybe on the web/cloud page?

Here is where I go:
Settings>Accounts>“owner”@e.email>Account sync
I have all on except SMS.
I don’t know of another.

Hey @mcmd, just wanted to say thanks again. I was able to get the phone up and working with the GSMA plan from RedPocket. Haven’t had issues with calls, texts, or accessing the internet yet. The only extra step I had to take was setting the APN manually, which took all of 30 sec.

I would certainly suggest the same for others who ordered the pre-installed S9 from Europe. I don’t have a strong technological background, so I appreciate being able to plug in a SIM card and basically be good to go. Will definitely be learning more as I use /e/ over the next few weeks here.