Are there any Americans using this service and the eOS?

T-Mobile is used by the mobile communications subsidiaries of the German telecommunications company Deutsche Telekom AG they have month to month for about 68$ and is very good, I travel back and forth to Germany and Europe from US, and have no problem.

Samsung SM-G960F Galaxy S9 works excellent! …so far I’ve been testing and have not run into any issues, really nice! Running version 10. First discover international European based company’s. The US has no interest in consumer privacy, so I build these phones myself for a few of my friends ordering Samsung Exynos chips set phones is not hard you can get them on swappa.com and maybe elsewhere. I don’t use Amazon. Sadly US will not have rebuilt phones in fores sable future from Europe but I believe legislation and consumer advocacy may change that.

Stay away from ATT and Verizon, study their security and breach history the personality of a ISP and how they handle security and ( what privacy they offer is their footprint and behavior) . None are perfect of course, its a lot more then just apps and convenience. Privacy and security first. :slight_smile: :+1:

I have a Motorola X4 with Lineage so I would like to try to load e on that.

Cheers!

1 Like

What is GSM and GSM Arena. These are terms unfamiliar with in the States.
Also for tweaking which Linux flavor does one need for /e/? Mint? Ubuntu?

Linux is not a requirement, but you could use it if you like. I can’t help you there because I don’t use Linux anymore.

If you’re using Windows, you might only need to use a couple of command lines, kind of like using DOS. If you want more help you can send me a private message instead if you like.

The major carriers use(d) different technologies which is something to consider. T-Mobile and AT&T are GSM, Verizon and Sprint are/were CDMA.
My beloved LG G3 (I really liked that phone, went through four of them) had a bunch of variants for each network. I had the TMO version, my friend had the Sprint version. Same on the outside, completely different network protocol inside.

That’s also something to look out for when searching the used market. You wouldn’t want to buy something for your AT&T based network and find out it only works with Sprint or Verizon’s network.

1 Like

You don’t use Linux… now I’m curious as to why.

Both GSM and GSM Arena are known in the US among more techy people.

GSM’s evil US cousin is CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) and is used by Sprint and Verizon. It’s supposed to be sunsetting (taken down) soon, if not already in favor of GSM.

This is interesting and like you to elaborate more on this. We in the USA do not about these matters as you boys do. It has become very corrupt with Big Tech, Media, and Washington, DC.

Is GSM AT&T and T Mobile?

I do run LInux Mint on a dual boot but Cornfarmer says he no longer does.

Appreciate your responses.

lol

I live in the USA! I know quite a bit about phones.

AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM
Verizon and Sprint were CDMA

You are a dream come true!!!
Tell me which make and model I should purchase.

You have the answer here :

How did I miss that?

Thanks piero.

Remember, /e/ compatible phones are listed here.

You mean « officially supported »
I share others list

GSI /Device support (Project Treble)

2 Likes

Putting this here as it seems US/CAN customers can now order pre-installed phones.

2 Likes

Excited they’re now shipping to the US! I bought the Galaxy S9 and received it yesterday. I tried using it on my current plan (Cricket, which is on the AT&T network, which is GSM) and it does not work. They told me the device is not supported because they are phasing out 3G. I’m not sure how the two are related, but just a heads up if anyone is in the same boat. Crossing my fingers T mobile will work since that appears to be the only other GSM network in the US…

I’m using a Galaxy S9 SM-G960F D/S purchased on Swappa. I did the conversion to /e/ myself following postings of SusieQ. Switched to T-Mobile on Feb15 because no work on Verizon. No problems so far with T-M. Verizon is also phasing out 3G.

Hello @dsand and welcome. I am using a S9 on the AT&T network via the RedPocket Mobile MVNO without any issues whatsoever. If you’re going to check them out, it’s the “GSMA” plan. Hope that helps and good luck.

@SuzieQ’s postings on loading /e/OS on Samsung devices should be stickies.

1 Like

Hey @mcmd. Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll check that out because I prefer the prepaid route. It seems companies that are on the same network don’t actually ‘work’ the same, so it’s good to hear you’ve had success with RedPocket.

1 Like