Asus Zenfone 4 Selfie Pro - ZD552KL

Hello, I have a Asus Zenfone 4 Selfie Pro and I would like to intsall /e/OS :grin: , it currently runs on Android Nougat version 7.7.1. Here you can find all the necessary information about the device :
h ttps://www.asus.com/supportonly/ASUS%20ZenFone%204%20Selfie%20Pro%20(ZD552KL)/HelpDesk_Download/
It is currently running on Android and some people have managed to run LinageOS 14.1 but currently it is no longer maintained :confused:
XDA link : h ttps://forum.xda-developers.com/f/asus-zenfone-4-selfie-selfie-pro-roms-kernels-r.6881/
TWRP seems to work : https://twrp.me/asus/asuszenfone4selfiepro.html
On Github I have found this :
h ttps://github.com/shakalaca/android_kernel_asus_zd552kl
h ttps://github.com/2003Frost/android_device_asus_Z01M
h ttps://github.com/2003Frost/android_device_asus_Z01M-testing

Thanking you in advance for your reply

Cordially
Codex_Leicester

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

one could probably make a nougat build - though nougat is getting dropped in /e/, not sure what is the last build tag that is possible to build for “n” … somebody knows?

see the current development-update

For Pie, Oreo and Nougat the official /e/OS support draws to a close

service clicks…

…have you submitted an “issue” (= build request) like this to involve GH’s device trees maintaner(s) too ?

@Codex_Leicester: could you please re-format this request to look like this one ?

If building /e/ yourself at nougat the most recent tag I found in a quick search is v0.21.2-nougat ¡ Tags ¡ e / os / releases ¡ GitLab

@forart.it My goal is to make my Zenfone 4 Selfie Pro compatible and to allow other people who have it to be able to install /e/OS

~~
The Asus ZenFone 4 Selfie Pro is a smartphone from Asus released in 2017. It has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 SoC, a 5.5" screen and a 24+5 megapixel dual front sensor.

https://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/ed6c4500

Basic Spec Sheet
CPU Eight-core 2.02 GHz ARM Cortex-A53
Chipset Qualcomm Adreno 625 MSM8953
GPU Qualcomm Adreno 506
Memory 4 GB
Shipped Android Version Android 7.1.1 Nougat
Storage 64 GB
MicroSD microSDHC & microSD
Battery Li-Polymer 3000 mAh, removable (I don’t know why it detected with CPU-Z or Device info HW that my battery is Li-on)
Dimensions 74.83 x 154.02 x 6.85 mm (2.91 x 6.06 x 0,24 inches)
Display 5.5" LCD, 1080 x 1920 pixels, 16:9 (~403 ppi density) ( :warning: it’s not AMOLED)
Rear Camera 16 M, Led Flash
Front Camera 24M Duo Pixel&5M (12MP normal selfie mode and 24MP DuoPixel selfie mode), LED Flash

Device picture

asus-zenfone-4-selfie-pro-zd552kl

Resources

• h ttps://github.com/shakalaca/android_kernel_asus_zd552kl
  • h ttps://github.com/2003Frost/android_device_asus_Z01M
  • h ttps://github.com/2003Frost/android_device_asus_Z01M-testing
  • TWRP link : h ttps://twrp.me/asus/asuszenfone4selfiepro.html
  • XDA link : h ttps://forum.xda-developers.com/f/asus-zenfone-4-selfie-selfie-pro-roms-kernels-r.6881/
  • Asus link : h ttps://www.asus.com/supportonly/ASUS%20ZenFone%204%20Selfie%20Pro%20(ZD552KL)/HelpDesk_Download/

…do you wanna build it yourself ?

If so, have you checked \e\ build guide(s) ?

https://doc.e.foundation/support-topics/build-e

We also suggest you to open a 3ad @ XDA to involve other users (and, of course, promote \e\ too)…

Hi, if you can build it that would be great because I tried to install it myself but the “Extracting private blobs” step is difficult, and I have trouble with docker.

Extracting private blobs

use a repository for the blobs if this bothers you (“-e INCLUDE_PROPRIETARY=true”) - depending on your bandwidth it’s more straightforward. I laid out the options at Failed build for bramble - #5 by tcecyk

The env var is not a default… it’s not suggested in the official doc link at step 5 - but in the repository of the docker image it is explained.

Making this old nougat build work is not easy, good luck! - as @aibd suggested, use the latest vaild nougat branch or build tag

Well, this could help too:
https://github.com/PabloCastellano/extract-dtb

Anyway we’ve asked for a preconfigured wizard-driven (v)notebook to build \e\ for any device in this 3ad:

Hope “someone” will be inspired by.

@forart.it you’re mixing up “blobs” - a dtb is different to what is done by a extract-files.sh script - that’s for proprietary libraries and firmware files. dtb is really for hardware addressing by the kernel. When a manufacturer doesn’t publish the kernel source (bad bad bad) you can do discovery of the kernel image and reconstruct the dts file it got compiled from.

What a extract script for the thread device Z01M would fetch is these libs+files: android_device_asus_Z01M-testing/proprietary-files.txt at 9c06e061a067f5c8aeffe26f1eb0491201efdbea ¡ 2003Frost/android_device_asus_Z01M-testing ¡ GitHub

@Codex_Leicester I’d need to dig in this device, if it’s possible to reuse a common device repo that’s carried by muppets (I guess) - so that INCLUDE_PROPRIETARY would’ve an effect. The Z10M-testing repo got forked from has the script that includes the .txt. You’d need to meet the conditions to extract them or look around if you can find a repo that has them and put it into your local_manifest → it will be offered at the device/<codename> path for the build process to pick up

1 Like

Can we go back to the work of 2003 Frost who managed to build for LineageOs for create a /e/OS version ?

h ttps://github.com/2003Frost/android_device_asus_Z01M-testing

2003Frost, Davi Santos is open about his telegram channel on his overview page 2003Frost (Davi Santos) ¡ GitHub, you might ask him which is more suitable. You might also be able to find out if there was any reason he did not move up Android versions. Sometimes also checking if any other forks carried on any further.

But this is one of the device trees you identified in your OP, was it not?

I just sent him a message, the device is identical to mine but the battery needs to be rechecked. What is OP ? :sweat_smile:

Hi @Codex_Leicester may I congratulate you on covering all the basics in your OP = opening post – I know how it is hard when you have done the research and find that you cannot use hyperlinks as a very new user. I am sure you will face some challenges with this older device, but I wish you luck in your learning experience! :sunny:

1 Like

I got a response from 2003 Frost here it is:

"Hi there. Development stopped because my device broke down and would cost way too much to fix it, so I moved on to other projects.

I’m not sure but I think it’s possible to build /e/ but you’ll probably have to modify the tree to fix any compiling errors though. And since our kernel is broken, like in lineage os, not much will be working even if build is sucessfull. Also, ASUS striked my vendor repo so you’ll have to manually extract vendor files from your device.
At the time we only managed to compile a lineage version that boots but isn’t funcional. There is still a lot of work to be done."

1 Like

For the moment I downloaded a zip of e-1.3 and I do this steps :
I mounted the system.img file and the vendor.img and product.img

Just posted some vendor extractor scripts in my “build automation” 3ad: