Asus Zenfone 6 zip image installs to inactive slot b

When I try to install e on my ZenFone6 it keeps trying to install it to the inactive slot b - both when trying to sideload and if I push the file to the sdcard and I try from there.
If I try to switch slot then I get into a bootloop with no recovery - even if the twrp installer show in the log that it installs to both slots.
Can anyone help?

I’ve tried using the recovery image from /e/, but when I try to sideload the /e/ system image then I get the following output:

adb sideload e-0.17-q-20210529117214-dev-I01WD.zip 
serving: 'e-0.17-q-20210529117214-dev-I01WD.zip'  (~47%)    adb: failed to read command: Success

On the phone it reads: Step 1/2
Step 2/2
Finished

But it is not a viable flash and it just boots to fastboot and I have to go through the loop of installing twrp all over again.

I’ve ended up on reflashing the original (newest) Asus firmware onto the phone - since I need a functioning phone.

BTW: I tried to flash the previous version of /e/ 0.16 - but it gives the same error about inactive slot b.

I know this is late, but maybe you are still interested or someone is.

I’ve had the same issue and it took me a while. it is quite a simple fix in the end:

Upgrade to Android 10 before installing

There is a linked article* in the general instruction (that don’t mention this), and even the article is quite round about, though the info is in there. It really is just that one point, upgrade to android 10 before installing.
Then it is smooth sailing.

The fone (pun intended) is great for the price and so is e, soo many kudos to all the developers that make this magic work.