Backup FP3 to upgrade to android 10/Q

This setting, as it says there, only allows the bootloader to be unlocked.
If you boot into Fastboot Mode, does it say there “Device state: unlocked”?
(Edit: You said you didn’t relock it when installing, though, I’ve just read again.)

Nope it says (in red): Device locked :roll_eyes:
I really thought the device was unlocked… :man_shrugging:

I also think a clean install would be really nice but the inconvenience to install every app again and also tune the settings of every app again gives me some headache. I suppose it could work to install twrp without wiping all the data and to back up the user data. My question is now whether it would also work to write the user data into the phone after a clean fresh update and thereby having all the apps and settings restored. It seems you have to do a factory reset anyway so may I ask you to “quickly” try it?

I’m in the process of setting up my stuff already.
It’s not as if I have limitless fun doing this, but I see it as an opportunity for phone hygiene, I’m always prepared to do it, I waited until I had some time for this, and now I’m just getting it done.

2 Likes

Fair enough :slight_smile:
Maybe someone else feels brave during the next days :smiley:
As soon as I have some free time I will also try it myself but this might not happen for the next week unfortunately :confused:

My main concern is that I don’t have a spare device in case it should go haywire updating the device, I also don’t have a lot of spare time.
Downloading and installing the apps isn’t that much of an issue as I don’t have that many apps. Personal data is also ok, and that can be copied from the device to my pc.
The MS Authenticator app for MFA however is a bit of a PITA

I uploaded some linux scripts here. They backup apps and data, although it does not work for every app, it should make it less painful. Some apps don’t work after restoring i.e. banking apps, some do work. The script names should be self explanatory.

5 Likes

Will these commands also work under windows?

Don’t know, maybe using the WIndows sub system read here

1 Like

I highly recommend TWRP for backups on FP3. But be careful, there are many ways you can shoot yourself in the foot! See my post at Backups, bootloader, root

just to be sure: I left /e/ since a few weeks, but on a NON root lineageos 17.1 I was able to start a root shell via adb and had access (w/o encryption) to the whole data partition. Wouldn’t this be possible in /e/ too?
Give it a try:
adb root
adb shell

seems to work fine (on windows 10 Pro N)

so if I copy this folder to my desktop pc I have a full backup which can be placed back on an upgraded FP3 ? And with upgrade I mean Android Q :slight_smile:

Ok So here is another documentation on how to back up the phone for the case that something goes wrong. However, I don’t think that someone has successfully tried to restore the Userdata after an upgrade to Q. YET.

I went for a clean install of Q last night.
not yet fully finished but I can work again :slight_smile:
I’ve also installed TWRP so when configured I can take a first backup of my device.

Overall I’m not yet convinced to advice an upgrade to Q on a FP3.
It’s a lot slower than Pie and I also have some issues with my 2nd SIM (which is brand new).
On Pie the coverage was okay for this SIM, on Q I have a weaker signal (as in No Connection) in rooms where there was a signal on Pie…
Also Exposure Notifications seems not to be available (and this was one of the reasons for upgrading to Q, besides the new camera modules, which I will install tonight).

In general or somewhere in particular (some App or UI element)?
I can’t confirm in general, my phone feels like before in this regard.

It seems to me my battery life improved noticably, but will have to check more.

:man_facepalming:
I’ll just have to wait a bit

In general.
Rebooting the phone takes now a lot more time. Fairphone boot screen takes up to twice the time it used to on Pie and the /e/ logon screen even up to 3 times…
It really feels like all apps are slower in opening and closing. I already disabled animations and that improved it a bit.
All apps are working fine though.

Did you make any progress in finding a solution for upgrading to Android Q while keeping your userdata?

Nope, … unfortunately not

Yes, this absolutely works on FP3 in both Pie and Q. I’ve used it to transfer most of my data.

I’ve typed up some scripts here: https://gitlab.com/pkerling/adbrootbackup/ maybe it’ll help someone.

4 Likes