Best deGoogled and most sustainable Murena Fairphone 4 is now available in the USA

This day has come!

Murena has just launched the sales of the Murena Fairphone 4 in the USA!

We are truly proud of this collaboration with Fairphone to bring together privacy and sustainability in one phone.

We are happy that more people in our community in the USA will enjoy /e/OS tools helping you to control your data while using all your favourite apps.

The device is recommended for use with T-Mobile and MVNOs based on the T-Mobile network in the US.

The device is exclusively available at https://murena.com/shop/

We are looking forward to hearing your feedbacks!

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

22 Likes

A good step, congratulations! I really hope Murena will be rewarded for taking the risk of fully taking the Fairphone overseas :+1:

Now first question: The specifications currently indicate it ships with /e/OS Android 11 – is that correct? From what I see there’s /e/OS Android 12 (S) stable available already.

7 Likes

Hardware-wise it’s the same as the FP4s that get sold in Europe or do some components differ in order to have it working in the US?

1 Like

Starting to make “headlines:” https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/07/fairphone-is-coming-to-america/

3 Likes

This is wonderful news! Thanks so much for all the hard work.

2 Likes

How about de-Googling the whole world? Do we really need Google? The task is simple. Don’t use it.

7 Likes

@am2 :+1:
…starting with every website that has chosen to infest itself with Google spyware/analytics/recaptcha/maps, etc., at our expense.

2 Likes

It will be A12 or /e/OS S

4 Likes

The hardware is the same as in the EU

4 Likes

What will happen to users if T-Mobile decide as other USA carriers to switch to voLTE ?

2 Likes

Great news. Well done again for that :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you mean T-mobile USA, they’ve been on VoLTE for a couple of years now. Their 3G network has been phased out, leaving only 2G, 4G, and 5G.

T-mobile is also the least restrictive of the three major U.S. carriers when it comes to bring-your-own-phone, as long as the device has been certified by the OEM for VoLTE on the T-mobile USA network.

That goes for any MVNO that operates on the T-mobile network, as well.

1 Like

I’m extremely interested in the Fairphone 4! I am on a family plan with Verizon though, does anyone know if the fairphone 4 is compatible with Verizon yet?

Not.

According to the FAQ on the Murena Fairphone4 product page.

1 Like

Congratulations Murena, for being the first to bring Fairphone to the USA! I had previously ordered a refurb Pixel from Murena but I just put in a cancel request and will order the Fairphone instead since I was lusting after it since it was introduced in Europe.

1 Like

Most unlocked bring-your-own phones on the market are generally for both T-Mobile and AT&T. I have done BYO taking eBay phones into AT&T stores for many years now. Is there any reason FP4 specifically says only T-Mobile?

The announcement says they recommend it, I guess because T-Mobile due to their origin are the provider most closely resembling mobile network providers in Europe compatibility-wise, for which the phone was originally designed.

You might want to have a read here or ask for Fairphone 4 AT&T experiences … https://forum.fairphone.com/t/fairphone-owners-in-the-usa-fp2-fp3-fp4/5083/279

It could be that the OEM (Fairphone) has not had the phone certified with AT&T for AT&T’s “brand” of VoLTE/HD Calling, or hasn’t done so yet.

Since all the U.S. carriers retired 3G in favor of 4G/VoLTE calling (and since AT&T no longer has a 2G network, either), VoLTE-capable (and -certified per carrier) devices are now required for activation and continued use, or so I’ve read. AT&T maintains an “authorized devices list” (viewable on their website) that contains relatively few certified devices… and the Fairphone4 is not currently on it.

{Edit: I’m far from being an expert on this, though, so maybe a developer can confirm or comment.}

I agree that in the past, as long as bands on the device matched up fairly well with the bands that AT&T (or T-mobile, for that matter) used, then it was easy to BYOP. I think those days are gone.

T-mobile USA has always been very accepting of most devices made around the world, and it might be related to what @AnotherElk suggested above.

MVNOs also have to adhere to the conditions set by the underlying major carrier whose infrastructure they operate on.

1 Like

Murena Fairphone 4 has had VoLTE and VoWifi support in the USA since the end of last year.

See my post from December 20, 2022: Fairphone 4 supports 4G calling (VoLTE) in USA with /e/OS 1.6

No. Verizon is a very controlling company and will likely never allow a deGoogled phone (or Linux phone, like Librem 5 or PinePhone) on their phone network. They declined the offer by Apple to be the first carrier to support the original iPhone because Apple would not agree to pre-install Verizon apps (malware) on the iPhone. The only reason Verizon later supported the iPhone is because it was a massive success when it launched with AT&T.

Another thing to note is that the Fairphone 4 lacks support for half of the main cellular bands used by Verizon 4G LTE (B13 and B66). So it would not have a good connection to the Verizon network anyway.

It is true that the device needs to be on the AT&T authorized devices list to be able to activate a new SIM on their network, but it might be possible to use a SIM that has already been activated with an approved device. It might also be necessary to contact AT&T to have them manually approve your Fairphone 4.

As mentioned above, T-Mobile is more welcoming to new devices using their network compared to AT&T and Verizon.

Also, the Fairphone 4 supports all of the main cellular bands used by T-Mobile 4G LTE in the USA (B2, B4, B12, and B71) and supports T-Mobile Mid-band and Low-band 5G (n41 and n71). In contrast, the Fairphone 4 lacks support for one of the main cellular bands used by AT&T 4G LTE (B17) and lacks support for half of the main cellular bands used by Verizon 4G LTE (B13 and B66). Though it does support Mid-band and Low-band 5G for AT&T and Verizon (n77 and n5), T-Mobile is widely seen as the industry leader in 5G roll-out in the United States.

From Murena Fairphone 4 page:

4G supported bands | B1 / B2 / B3 / B4 / B5 / B7 / B8 / B12 / B18 / B19 / B20 / B28 / B32 / B38 / B40 / B41 / B71

5G supported bands | n1 / n3 / n5 / n7 / n8 / n20 / n28 / n38 / n41 / n71 / n77 / n78

*Main bands for USA carriers are marked in bold.

From PhoneArena page explaining 4G LTE bands:

АТ&T | B2, B4, B5, B12, B14, B17, B29, B30, B66
Verizon Wireless | B2, B4, B5, B13, B46, B48, B66
T-Mobile | B2, B4, B5, B12, B66, B71
Sprint | B25, B26, B41

*Main band for each carrier is marked in bold.

*Edited to match syle used above.

From PhoneArena page explaining 5G bands:

mmWave spectrum 5G bands:
n260 band (based on 37GHz to 40GHz frequencies) — used by Verizon Wireless, AT&T, T-Mobile
n261 (27.5GHz to 28.35GHz) — used by Verizon Wireless, AT&T, T-Mobile

Mid-band 5G spectrum:
n77 (3700MHz) — mid-band used by AT&T and Verizon
n41 (2500MHz) — used by new T-Mobile (formerly used by Sprint)

Low-band 5G spectrum:
n71 (600MHz) — used extensively by T-Mobile
n5 (850MHz) — used by AT&T and Verizon
n2 (1900MHz) — used by Verizon

I’ll end this comment by saying that I am very happy this phone is finally available for sale in the USA market! To my knowledge, this is the first and only deGoogled phone that can be purchased in the USA directly from an OEM or OEM partner. This is huge! Americans without the skills, patience, or desire to deGoogle a phone themselves (most Americans) can now buy an Android phone that is free from Google malware!

Thank you to the e Foundation for making this happen!

11 Likes

I’ve read comments in some forums that AT&T has sometimes blocked calls for customers who have done that, and says via an automated message that they need to switch to an approved device. Maybe it will work, though.

I’ve heard this might work, too.

But…

…there’s that.