BlissLauncher randomly rearranges ALL my apps alphabetically

I am reporting an unpleasant incident that happened to me : out of nowhere, as I unlock my screen, I discovered that all my apps are put in alphabetical order. They were even split into 6 different screen panels and I dont have this many apps. What happens is that a screen-panel is created for each type of webapps (firefox-webaps, Bromite-webapps, Pluma-webapps) where they are regrouped.

I reorganized one by one every single app in the fashion that i liked, and god it’s long when multi-selection isnt possible… only to see this incident happen again one week later ! And it happened again few days later.
Three times in one month, it’s becoming drastically annoying. Has anyone experienced it ? I cant find a report of something similar.

2 Likes

It also happens sometimes (but fortunately not 3 times in a month) to me that all icons are more or less randomly rearranged. i’ve the impression this happens when Bliss Launcher or phone has crashed (or at least after a restart, normally not when just unlocking).
Normally when this happens also the quick launch icons (at the bottom of the screen) get “lost” and are somwhere on the “desktop”.
I’m also not aware of a created ticket for that problem (and have never opened one - it’s difficult to collect information anyway because of the sporadic nature of this problem).

Once before users were advised to try this.

Setting > Apps & notification > See all apps > BlissLauncher > Storage > Clear storage and Clear Cache

Meet the Bliss Launcher -/e/OS’ default launcher

indeed, I created the topic among other things to collect experiences who might pass under the radar. Perhaps someone will share a way to backup an image of the icons set ?

@aibd wait, shouldnt this erase all he Collections I’ve made ?

1 Like

Use another launcher and most of your problems are solved.

1 Like

Well, that’s an alternative. But using Bliss and creating Gitlab reports may help to improve Bliss…

1 Like

Maybe yes, if it is improveable.

Well, just always look on the bright side of life…

1 Like

You are correct, clear storage would loose your “organisation” but clear cache should have no effect.

I seem to remember that there is a known way within Bliss to reset the icons to “original” but I still cannot find the reference (I had guessed that maybe I had seen it in the linked introduction).

There may be some action triggering this that you might find by studying other reports (though I am afraid most of the links below are from the anti Bliss faction :slight_smile: )

Bliss launcher crashes

This behaviour is just wild… never have i heard of it anywhere. I can anticipate a lot of “just install another launcher” (hello @kisman172 ) comments, but if /e/ doesnt want to cut momentum on new users, it should not have such a disappointing and unstable HomeScreen. This is just THE interface for every basic user they’d like to seduce.

@ff2u well, call me stupid if u want, but I signed up here e / apps / BlissLauncher · GitLab and there is just nowhere to open an issue where I look… I might have gotten in the wrong corner.
Edit : nevermind, found out the Issues section ^ ^"

2 Likes

Bliss launcher should give a Iphone experience :wink:
With all the disappointing and unstable features :smiley:

I searched if gitlab already has it as an issue when you posted your question, it’s not there yet so please file it as a bug. The person maintaining blisslauncher is capable, with time the most frustrating bugs should be ironed out so thank you for filing a bug. If you can reproduce and attach logcat it usually shows where to fix.

I experienced the reset icon-grouping too at some point, I think when I played with the weatherwidget / service, but do not remember how to reproduce.

1 Like

Just did. Random reset of ALL icons order. Happening several times (#4286) · Issues · e / Backlog · GitLab
About the logcat, Im afraid I dont know how/where to extract it. It also happened quite some days ago, dont remember which day…

I switched just now to Omega and I feel it might do the trick. Fairly more “empowering”. I reckon that I wont switch back.
Solving this bug would still be useful, especially if /e/ sticks to Bliss

3 Likes

I expect you know, but now you have a second launcher if you check Settings > Apps and notifications > Default apps, your Home app will now appear there (if you ever felt like going back).

BTW, /e/ is not rooted without you doing it yourself. Here is a logcat how to:

https://doc.e.foundation/support-topics/create-a-log.html

https://doc.e.foundation/support-topics

1 Like

When you figure out how this happened, please let me know.
It drives me crazy that my apps aren’t sorted alphabetically by default.

Thank you very much for the information. I have been using Omega for a while now and i dont regret at tall the move, apart from the Bliss built-in weather widget that I cant find anywhere else. The others I tried werent as satisfying.

I was thinking about the unlocking of the bootloader I had to perform in order to install /e/. I think I never came to lock it back and I recall reading it to be some unsafe thing to leave on your daily driver.

HellsBells I would for sure, but as I am no longer using Bliss, it might be very unlikely that I can reproduce it…

The topic might as well be closed now I imagine.

Most devices do not support re-locking of bootloader. Unless it mentions how to relock in the installation instructions for your device do not relock. It may cause problems.

This also happens to me. All the icons (but folders) from the first screen and the bottom bar are moved to the last screen and ordered alphabetically.
I already reordered them 3 times, now I’m just leaving it this way… hoping this bug will be soon solved

I have a Fairphone 3 running /e/OS 0.20

as @Kiud filed this as bug at BlissLauncher randomly rearranges ALL my apps alphabetically - #13 by Kiud do you see any similarities? do you set homescreen links out of any browsers and if yes, which ones? I’d be happy to recreate conditions for reproduction and snatch a logcat of a crash

Just in Bliss exist not in others