Can I control what backs up/syncs to Murena account

Thank you. See screenshots. There doesn’t seem to be any granular configuration there, it’s either all on or all off. And if all off, it says you will have to sync manually. Which would be tedious for Calendar and Contacts!

Tap on your Murena account. There you get a more detailed list of options.

Thank you! I missed that! :confused:

Presumably ‘Picures and Videos’ includes music, since online it just says ‘Files’. Will experiment further, but marking as solved.

Greetings.
Now after one year with a Fairphone 3 and e/os I am still missing this very option.
Unlike described in the following post:

There is no such option /checkbox for me.
I missed this already in the beginning in April 2021.
I even reflashed my phone in June but I was still missing it. Idk why I left it this way, because I hate when my files get sync without my knowledge.
I saw this by accident last year and gave up after some days.
Now with version 1.0 I have a never-ending notification that rings every 30 minutes and isn’t removable.

You could try to delete this account. This should give you time to cleanup your cloud space using the web interface. Then you could recreate the account on the device, hopefully now with configurable data options.

Did you find a solution ? I have the same problem (no options, no checkbox) and it annoys the heck out of me.
Thanks

Yes.

If you have turned autosync off, as shown in red on screenshot (1) (which you may have done because you don’t want it to sync), then as shown in screenshot (2) you won’t have any toggle options.

(Screenshot (2) corresponds to @Thunfischsalat screenshot in German on June 9th above).

But if you turn autosync back on, as shown in red on screenshot (3), then you will also get the toggle options back as shown in screenshot (4), so you can make granular adjustments. This is what you want, I think.

5 Likes

Thanks! It worked fine.
Can’t believe it was that easy…

Yes, but you can’t switch off Music synchronization independent from Pictures and Videos, as currently wanted in the other thread. That’s idiotic.

1 Like

I agree. I had originally expected to be able to choose which folders to back up. It seems to me also that “Pictures and Videos” is actively misleading as it seems to refer to home folders more generally.

I have used Tasker in conjunction with SMSBackup+ to successfully automate backing up text messages to the Murena account. So I suspect there is a hack there there that you could use Tasker to automate syncing the folders you want to sync. Though I haven’t tried.

Bumbing this thread because today I noticed the same behavior and find it quite disappointing you cannot select which folder to synchronize… I want to sync the Documents folder but not the Music one (which is too huge for the 1Go plan) but it seems there is no granularity in the selection of specific folders.

Hope the devs may change this.

1 Like

For that level of granularity, you need to use the NextCloud Sync client app from F-Droid or App Lounge. Turn off documents sync in the /e/ account, and set NextCloud sync up how you like it

1 Like

I can confirm this is the way to go. It’s not that hard.

On your phone, install Nextcloud from F-Droid. Scroll down to find the stable app - the Nextcloud dev app updates several times a week and quickly becomes annoying.

On your computer, log into your Murena Cloud instance and navigate to Settings from the user icon (circle on the top-right), then Security from the menu on the left.

Scroll all the way down to Devices and Settings. At the bottom, click the blue button: “Create new app password.”

Scroll down a bit more and click the “Show QR code” text.

On your phone, open the Nextcloud app and tap the QR code symbol.

Scan the code on your computer screen, wait about five seconds and, bingo!

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips with the Nextcloud App @petefoth and @Danceswithcats , it saved my day ! I’ve struggling for a very long time with this issue…
I definitely thinks this should a matter addressed by the devs. It’s really weird that it is possible to setup very easily a lot of data from apps landed with the OS (like Address books, Calendar, Mail, Pictures and videos, etc.) and not the data from other apps also landed with the OS (like Music, or also Reccordings). As an experienced user, I find it very confusing.

Maybe a tutorial in the wiki would be a good start

1 Like

You’re most welcome, @Au.be

I think I understand the logic of the automatic connection: Murena is an attempt to make “cloud” storage and other online features a seamless part of your phone’s functioning. It is certainly very smooth and integrates beautifully into the /e/OS version of Android.

With a new phone, with no photos on it yet, that is fine. Your system will set up, and you can choose to expand your storage as you go. However, I had imported my existing Nextcloud setup into my Fairphone when I bought it. Within an hour, I had flooded the free allowance.

The choices you question are mostly sensible to me. Address books, calendars, notes and tasks are what I consider the core functions of an online storage service. For each of them, without synchronization across multiple devices, they are, to me, useless. I might as well revert to a Filofax.

I understand the urge to sync music, but music is problematic for a “cloud” storage company, as it is open to vast quantities of redundant data and to massive amounts of streaming. Nextcloud is not really built to provide a streaming service, although it has apps for that, but you are into a completely different level of storage and bandwidth demand if you activate it. There’s also the issue of legal scrutiny. I fully understand why Murena would want to charge for that scale of usage.

I’ve closed down my home Nextcloud server and am trying to learn enough to have a multiple function server which will host Nextcloud and a website and a music streaming service. Despite the promises of easy deployment made by the websites of various software communities (I’m looking at Yunohost, but there are other server frameworks such as OMV and just containerization things like Docker), you cannot really home host without a broad understanding of networking, storage and permissions, database commands and a fairly solid expertise in the Linux command line.

So, while I learn more and experiment, I have moved my core online stuff to Murenacloud, and I am very happy with it. I’ve paid for a year of 20GB and am careful to keep an eye on it. Really, though, if I didn’t want to have a home server for other purposes, I would be tempted to buy one of the larger Murena packages and do away with the idea of a home Nextcloud server. A hundred or so euros per annum is not that much to pay for 1TB on a synchronised online server that is hosted within the GDPR legal framework by an organization dedicated to protecting privacy. My home Nextcloud storage never got beyond 750GB, and it needed a good clean out to get rid of out-of-date stuff anyway. I’m finding 20GB meet my needs fine.

All this is a very long-winded way of saying that I agree that the fine-tuning of the sync function could be better developed and more accessible, but I understand what Murena are doing with it and wouldn’t want to criticize them too strongly. The main market for their sort of service isn’t IT hobbyists, but people who wish to escape Google. As for the idea of a tutorial, @smu44 has linked to one above, I see, which is good of them.

I must just add that the discussion beneath the tutorial is also very informative. Anyone who does use the tutorial should note the revisions in this comment.

1 Like

Edit, thanks to comments below from @petefoth and @smu44, will also hide stuff from everyday apps like Music and Gallery so is not suitable on “everyday folders”.

Any folder containing an empty .nomedia file will not be synced.

This file can almost always be found / generated with the Files app. Use the search facility of Files to search for .nomedia in the Internal storage of the device.

Select one > 3 dot menu top right > Copy to … and select the folder you want to exclude from sync.

You might create a My_Stuff folder, put a .nomedia file there, then move files in.

I don’t think I have tested what happens if you put a .nomedia file into an already populated folder for instance Music. Edit, it is a bad idea as your Music may well be hidden from your Music player.

2 Likes

But won’t the use of .nomedia stop e.g. media player / viewer apps from seeing the files in that directory and sub-directories?

1 Like

I do understand that certain “scanners” will fail to see the contents of a “nomedia folder” but I just tested with Music app with .nomedia in /Bluetooth folder, plays an .mp3
and Gallery with .nomedia in /DCIM/OpenCamera, images open and can be scrolled fast – so I think no problems. Edit, following a reboot some files were invisible to Music and Gallery. All are visible to Files app.

It may be worth checking if a user was planning to use say a more complex photo display app which attempted aggregating images is some special way, perhaps.

Just try to reboot your device :wink:
As far as I know (and my knowledge may need a little refresh with recent Android :wink: ):

• many apps relies on Android MediaProvider, including eDrive
  • the MediaProvider database is probably populated on filesystem events, at least for sure on boot

=> that’s to say: at next MediaProvider database refresh, your folder may be excluded and then invisible to Music app, as well as eDrive.

Unfortunately, I’m not aware of an easy solution here. Maybe renaming the folder with a leading dot could do the trick with eDrive, but it may also affect MediaProvider and other apps as well.

Another option when using .nomeda files could be to use apps that don’t rely on MediaProvider, like the excellent foobar2000 for audio (please read https://www.foobar2000.org/temp/MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE.txt).

added for reference (quite old): Music app not detecting newly added music files - #12 by smu44

1 Like