Cannot get the easy installer to work on Ubuntu latest version

try to load installer but nothing happens all permissions are correct

Hi @nige welcome to the /e/ forum

A little short of information !

Guessing – you took this step ?

Something wrong at this stage ?

Hi aibd. Yes i have the app easy installer on my desktop along with the e icon. when i click to launch it nothing at all happens. i tried installing it uninstalled it and tried again. it says all permissions are OK. it just fails to launch.
thanks.

snap run easy-installer

Perhaps assume the icon does not work. Can't find Installer in Mint 20.

The return reads : error: cannot find current revision for snap easy: readlink /snap/easy/current: no such file or directory

Maybe you could include a trace of the full install process (if you have to try again, but footnote [2] first) in case there is some fault there. The first thing that comes to mind is

snap install easy-installer --channel=latest/beta

Edit this page https://snapcraft.io/install/easy-installer/ubuntu

now says

sudo snap install easy-installer --beta

I do not have snap installed, but I think there is a clue here

revision for snap easy: readlink /snap/easy/current: no such file or directory

I would expect no easy we are using easy-installer

[2] Further edit Perhaps the output of

snap list

would be useful if easy-installer is still failing.

When i try to install it now with any of those commands it tells me it is already installed and is in the snap list.

So is the output of
snap run easy-installer
still exactly the same ?

Just seen the foot of the screenshot … see
snap warnings
Is this relevant ?

The Snap warnings is something to do with the latest update on Brave Browser. The Output of snap run easy-installer is now this … X Error: BadAlloc
Request Major code 146 ()
Request Minor code 7
Error Serial #39
Current Serial #40
I have no idea what this means.

I have just tried uninstalling again and reinstalling through Terminal and same output.

I found this snap issue: https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/some-snap-apps-no-longer-starting-up-on-amd-laptop/26403.

Also https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy/issues/2597.

Do these hardware comments seem a match with your machine ?

You might test this AppImage Problems installing /e/ OS on a Fairphone 4 (using the Easy Installer in Linux Debian) - #2 by Ingo_FP_Angel

Yes These are similar issues… Unfortunately I don’t have the required Skills to understand them. :upside_down_face:

Do you get more output before the “X Error: BadAlloc” line? If yes, could you please post them here as well?

This was all the output i got.
X Error: BadAlloc
Request Major code 146 ()
Request Minor code 7
Error Serial #39
Current Serial #40

I have the same error, any idea how to fix this?

When I researched this it seemed to be a hardware problem for Snap with certain machines, as Post #11

Do these hardware comments seem a match with your machine ?

If hardware related, it looks an issue rather deep in Snap, but maybe things moved on for Snap since those links from Sept 2023, I haven’t checked again.

Now I am running Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. Would it help to switch to 23.10?

This topic was automatically closed after 180 days. New replies are no longer allowed.