Can't access to medias after update to Q on FP2

• /e/ version: e-0.15-q-20210312105636-dev-FP2
  • Device model(s): Fairphone FP2

After installing e-0.15-q-20210312105636-dev-FP2.zip following the procedure described in https://doc.e.foundation/devices/FP2/upgrade, strange things happen when I try to access my medias.
I have images on my main storage and on my sdcard. If I open the gallery, there is nothing.
If I open the storage menu in parameters, there is a warning icon for my sdcard (update: I made some cleaning accessing the sdcard from my pc with the phone in recovery mode, and the warning icon doesn’t show now, I suppose it was just indicating the sdcard was close to full). If unmount it, and mount it I get

04-04 12:13:10.063  3156  3156 D StorageNotification:     path=/storage/FF8E-181C internalPath=/mnt/media_rw/FF8E-181C 
04-04 12:13:10.082 27494 27494 D MtpService: onStorageStateChanged /storage/FF8E-181C unmounted -> checking
04-04 12:13:13.754  3156  3156 D StorageNotification:     path=/storage/FF8E-181C internalPath=/mnt/media_rw/FF8E-181C 
04-04 12:13:13.768   427 16605 D installd: Found storage mount /data/media at /mnt/runtime/default/emulated
04-04 12:13:13.768   427 16605 D installd: Found storage mount /mnt/media_rw/FF8E-181C at /mnt/runtime/default/FF8E-181C
04-04 12:13:13.769 27494 27494 D MtpService: onStorageStateChanged /storage/FF8E-181C checking -> mounted
04-04 12:13:13.769 27494 27494 V MtpService: Adding MTP storage:/storage/FF8E-181C
04-04 12:13:13.887 27494 27742 I MediaProvider: Begin Intent { act=android.intent.action.MEDIA_MOUNTED dat=file:///storage/FF8E-181C flg=0x5000010 cmp=com.android.providers.media/.MediaService (has extras) }
04-04 12:13:13.887 26864 26864 V StorageReceiver: StorageReceiver: Intent { act=android.intent.action.MEDIA_MOUNTED dat=file:///storage/FF8E-181C flg=0x5000010 cmp=foundation.e.mail/.service.StorageReceiver (has extras) }
04-04 12:13:13.888 26864 26864 I StorageManager: storage path "/storage/FF8E-181C" mounted readOnly=true
04-04 12:13:16.009 27494 27742 I MediaProvider: End Intent { act=android.intent.action.MEDIA_MOUNTED dat=file:///storage/FF8E-181C flg=0x5000010 cmp=com.android.providers.media/.MediaService (has extras) }

In the storage menu in parameters, if I click on the internal storage, I see that photos and videos use 2Go, when I click on it, I see Gallery (36,86ko) and Images (1,96go). If I click on Images it opens the gallery app, and it says that there is no photo.

If I open the camera app, and configure the photos to be saved on my sdcard, I get no error message. I can take a picture, but if I tap the photo taken in the circle botton right of the screen in camera app, it tries to open the photo but can’t do it and comes back to the camera mode.

If I open the files app everything in my FP2 is greyed.

FX file manager has no access to nothing.

In the log pasted above, I see “readOnly=true” that can be the problem? Why is is read only?

Someone knows what happens ?

Hi, I discovered something interesting, which is a good news and a bad one at the same time: it is a storage access granting problem. For instance, if FX does not access to any storage, I uninstall it and install it again, and when I launch it, it asks permission to have access to the storage. I grant access and it works normally. I did the same procedure with all my installed apps that had problems to access storage.

So it is a good news because it is a simple way to solve the issue.

The problem is that for /e/ OS preinstalled apps, I have no solution. I can’t remove the apps, and when I remove the storage access of these apps in parameters, the apps do not ask permission for storage access. So I’m stuck. Can’t use /e/ OS native apps that need access to storage.

Gallery app : no photos.
Phone app : calls not registered in history.
Mail app : can’t save attached files
SMS app : can’t send or receive messages

1 Like

For what it’s worth … you can, in a way.
But because it’s a little different than with the other Apps I don’t know whether that helps with the issue. And I didn’t encounter this issue when upgrading my Fairphone 2 to Q.

Thanks for you answer. More than uninstalling default apps, I need to reset their permissions, or unsintall an install them again so that maybe the app asks for the permissions.
I don’t understand why I have problems when upgrading my FP2 to Q. You followed the instructions given here https://doc.e.foundation/devices/FP2/upgrade? You did it from linux? Doing a “sudo adb sideload” or “adb sideload”?

Yes, although I didn’t format data this time around after this here …

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/e-q-is-out-for-fp2/69555/7?u=anotherelk

… because the Fairphone 2 is not my daily driver phone and I was curious. Worked out fine for me, too, and I could still format data if I had trouble and was suspecting this shortcut to play a role.

Windows.
On Linux sudo shouldn’t alter how the command works, just make sure that it works at all.

You think formatting data and install 0.15 Q again would maybe resolve my problems?
btw, what are the implications of formatting data? Loosing all installed apps and their config/params?

Possibly. It’s an option to try at least.

You would lose all your user data in Internal Storage along with all Apps you installed and their data and settings.

Okay thanks for your answer.

Do you know an app or any other mean to save at least the list of installed apps and their settings ? (so I can quickly reinstall everything and have everything work without configuring everything again: mail accounts, davx config, folder syncing with nextcloud, …)

No, sorry. I don’t use that much Apps, I just do all that from scratch if I have to.

Do you know an app or any other mean to save at least the list of installed apps and their settings?

Via adb shell pm.. and fdroidcl you can script this if you also source alot from Fdroid. Can give you a guide. But for configs… when will Seedvault integration land?

The problem is that for /e/ OS preinstalled apps, I have no solution

If you want to use the default Gallery App to access the sdcard, you can follow @AnotherElk suggestion and use:

adb shell "pm path com.android.gallery3d" 
adb pull /system/product/priv-app/Gallery2/Gallery2.apk
adb shell "pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.gallery3d"
adb push Gallery2.apk /sdcard

… and install via File Browser. Simplemobiletools Gallery is an alternative.

And thanks for checking it out, I too would like to use the external sdcard with a default install :slight_smile:

1 Like

… so I noticed, the reinstalled Gallery2 will take more time than Simple-Gallery to pick up the newly stored Photos on the the sdcard. Would need to debug the cause - probably Gallery2 depending on MediaScanner, while Simple might index the Folders on every access

1 Like

I finally reinstalled the os performing a data wipe. I had to reinstall and reconfigure all my apps, but now everything is ok.

1 Like

did you run into the MediaScanner not being triggered (backlog#2555) for sdcard changes, or do you not use the standard Gallery2 app?

1 Like