Citymapper gets randomly stuck

Hello,

I have purchased a FP5 with /e/os 1.15 installed.
I have faced a weird issue concerning the app Citymapper.

Sometimes (let’s say 1 out of 20 times) the app will launch correctly but the rest of the time it will launch and then gets stuck on the loading splash screen.
Another weird thing I have witnessed is I recieve notifications from the app, meaning that it kinda works in a way, but I can not get to it, either on clicking the app’s icon or clicking the notification.

I have generated a log for this if needed and a radio log too.

Is this the right place to ask for this kind of help?

Thanks

NB :

• I know about Citymapper’s Exodus score.
  • I do not want to use another app, and with all the love I have for FOSS apps, Magic Earth sucks. I am temporarily using Google Maps as an incomplete alternative which is not better.
  • I have tried running it with and without the advanced privacy and it changes absolutely nothing.
2 Likes

Hi,

I’ve been using /e/ for 3 years first on the Samsung S9 now on FP5 and citymapper is the only app I’ve had blocking issues with (on both devices). Even when it starts it has frequent glitches and crashes.

It’s a shame because it’s a fantastic app with no decent alternatives. It’s not a deal breaker for me, but I understand how it can be for some people.

Not super helpful sorry, but at least you know it’s not specific to you or the fairphone!

if you can export a “logcat” from that timeframe it will very likely give a hint what’s the reason. In higher Android versions on-device logcat readers need an adb grant to work properly.

adb shell pm grant com.f0x1d.logfox android.permission.READ_LOGS
  1. https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.f0x1d.logfox/
  2. go to filters and enter into the “package name” filter “com.citymapper.app.release
  3. bottom menu bar, 3rd button “recordings” → start recording
  4. provoke error in app
  5. export / share recording log by selecting the option

Edit: created a screenshot walkthrough at [HOWTO] log app errors with LogFox on-device to create bugreports

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.