[CUSTOM BUILD] Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact `lilac` - 'E-Upstream'

Here is a new custom build for lilac

It has grown out of my ‘proof-of-concept’ work on this feature request:

It is labelled ‘CUSTOM-UPSTREAM-lilac.zip’ and it is a custom build of /e/OS, with most of /e/'s forked apps replaced by the upstream projects from which they are forked.

It is aimed at users who - like me - want the functionality of /e/OS, but prefer to use up-to-date versions of the standard apps, and are not bothered about /e/'s ‘consistent UI’.

This table lists which apps replace the /e/ apps and components

/e/OS Component Alternative
Account Manager Davx5, ICSx5
Apps F-Droid & Privileged Extension, Aurora Store & Services
Browser Fennec
Bliss Launcher Trebuchet,
Calendar Etar
Camera Open Camera (and Sony stock Camera app)
eDrive NextCloud sync client
Mail K-9 Mail
Message QKSMS
Notes NextCloud Notes
Tasks Open Tasks

The following apps are not changed

• Phone / Dialer
  • Magic Earth

The following apps / components are removed entirely

• eSmsSync: I don’t know what eSmsSync is supposed to do. QKSMS supports backup of SMS and MMS messages.
  • eSpeakTTS: if they need it, users can install it from F-Droid.
  • OpenKeychain: if they need it, users can install it from F-Droid.
  • Weather

The ROM also includes FFUpdater, in case users wish to install a different browser

I have dirty flashed this on my ‘daily driver’ device, over my earlier custom build (which includes both Omega and Lawnchair launchers). Apart from the strangeness described below, it seems to just work :smile: As always though, if you are going to try it, I strongly suggest that you backup your existing setup.

The strangeness:

1. In a fresh install, Setup Wizard shows the Setup /e/ Account screen, but it does nothing since Account Manager is gone. To stop it appearing I would need to fork the Setup Wizard app, and I really can’t be bothered :smile:

2. In a dirty flash,

• Lawnchair is not present, and you will need to install it from Aurora Store. So, if you are planning to dirty flash, and you use Lawnchair, then backup your Home settings to SD card before you flash.
  • Previously configured DAVx5 accounts are gone, and will need to be added.

How I made the ROM

1. I use @steadfasterX’s projects
  • android_vendor_e for my build environment

• android_vendor_extendrom to configure the content of the ROM

Both projects have excellent documentation: follow the 'README.md` instructions and you won’t go far wrong

1. My manifest can be found here. The interesting bits are
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>
    <!-- Remotes 
    ##################################################### -->
    <!-- github/sfX-Android -->
    <remote name="sfX" fetch="https://github.com/sfX-Android/" />

<!-- SONY Xperia XZ1 Compact (lilac)-->
    <!-- Get the lilac device tree from my e repo-->
  <project name="petefoth/android_device_sony_lilac" path="device/sony/lilac" remote="e" />
    <!-- Get the other device  & kernel trees from e repos-->
  <project name="e/devices/android_kernel_sony_msm8998" path="kernel/sony/msm8998" remote="e"  />
  <project name="e/devices/android_device_sony_yoshino-common" path="device/sony/yoshino-common" remote="e" />

<!-- Proprietary blobs for lilac -->
    <project name="petefoth/vendor_sony_lilac" path="vendor/sony/lilac" remote="e" />

<!-- /e/ vendor repo
    <project path="vendor/e" name="steadfasterX/android_vendor_e" remote="e" revision="v1-q" /> 

<!-- vendor extendrom 
    <!-- sFx's   -->
    <project path="vendor/extendrom" name="android_vendor_extendrom" remote="sfX" revision="main" /> 

</manifest>
  1. My vendorsetup.sh for lilac is here. The bits that define the content of this build are
########### UPSTREAM custom build ###########
export EOS_RELEASE_TYPE=CUSTOM-UPSTREAM
export EXTENDROM_PACKAGES="noEOSlauncher noEOSBlissIconPack noEOSAccountManager noEOSeDrive noEOSNotes noEOSESmsSync noEOSappstore noEOSMessage noEOSPdfViewer noEOSLibreOfficeViewer noEOSCamera noEOSeSpeakTTS noEOSMail noEOSCalendar  noEOSTasks noEOSBrowser noEOSOpenKeychain noEOSOpenWeatherMapWeatherProvider F-Droid F-DroidPrivilegedExtension_pb  AuroraStore AuroraServices ICSx5 DAVx5 NextCloud K9-Mail-latest Fennec QKSMS Etar OpenTasks MicrogGmsCore  FFUpdater OpenCamera NextCloudNotes"

When I was experimenting with this build, I tried - with some degree of success - the following configurations to make different “editions”. However, they don’t interest me as much as this “E-Upstream” build, so I have not taken them any further

######
# Packages for E-NoCloud edition
export EXTENDROM_PACKAGES="noEOSAccountManager noEOSeDrive noEOSNotes noEOSESmsSync"

######
# Packages for E-CORE edition - maybe more to be removed
# Not sure about Bromite Webview
export EXTENDROM_PACKAGES="noEOSAccountManager noEOSeDrive noEOSNotes noEOSESmsSync noEOSappstore Omega F-Droid F-DroidPrivilegedExtension_pb noEOSMail noEOSCalendar noEOSMessage noEOSPdfViewer noEOSLibreOfficeViewer noEOSCamera noEOSeSpeakTTS noEOScom.google.android.maps.jar noEOSMozillaNlpBackend noEOSDroidGuard noEOSOpenKeychain noEOSBrowserWebView noEOSBrowser noEOSPwaPlayer noEOSMagicEarth noEOSTasks"

As always, I am very happy to receive any feedback. Have fun!

2 Likes

It was intended to synchronize with /e/ Cloud, but the NextCloud app was never activated.

1 Like

It probably won’t be missed then :slight_smile:

EDIT: Removed link to the broken build

Here’s a new version built from the v0.23-q tag

LINK REMOVED

Release notes for v0-23-q

Any feedback on this will be very welcome.

Here is a working version, built from the v0.23.7-q tag

The release notes are still at

I would be very interested to know if anyone other than me is using this build, so please let me know either here or by private message - thanks.

I will no longer be making unofficial or custom builds of /e/OS, as I am now building and using custom builds of LineageOS for microG on my devices, including my XZ1 Compact. Please see this post for more information: