Custom built rom not booting

Hi there,

I have succesfully built the /e/ os rom for the Motorola Moto One Action (troika) and it is supported by lineageos. However, when after I flash the zip file and reboot the phone, it just stays at the motorola splash screen forever. I know this is not a Lineage issue as Lineage boots completly fine. Can anyone help? I would really appreciate it.

What was … (the ROM) on the device immediately previously?

Well I just flashed the lineage rom for my device to check if it boots up properly.

Just a thought, did your Lineage have Gapps? This would introduce “something” to you data partition which might have a similar effect - fail to boot.

Did you already read this Help needed (Unofficial build for kccat6)?

Edit, So you could (anyway) delete system, data, Dalvik/ART and cache before your ROM, as well as Dalvik/ART and cache after?

You can try to launch an adb logcat with device off, then power it on.

Also, there may be “pre boot logs”, but their existence and location may depend on your kernel, build options, etc.
Try to reboot in TWRP and digging into /proc, /sys/fs/pstore, etc.

Just a thought, did your Lineage have Gapps? This would introduce
“something” to you data partition which might have a similar effect -
fail to boot.

@aibd: Nope, of course not… and even if it had, that seems not to
affekt the contained boot.img, as gapps & Co. seem to go to
system.new.dat.br.

Idea is to strictly minimize Google’s impact on the running system -
just as in /e/, but that one looks better :wink:

Hi, @Hangglider sorry if I misdirected my message, but I don’t think I did. I was just putting some ideas out there for @KevinKraze.

@smu44: already had tried the logcat without success. I suspected that the crash/reboot occured too early for getting able to log (in fact, I don’t know the facets of the mechanism very well, only the existence).
Regarding the /proc and /sys/…, are you sure, as both are pseudo-filesystems provided by the kernel, so they are of course in nirvana when the kernel restarts? But nevertheless, they may provide symlinks to more persistent ressources…

@aibd: last message deleted - did read with only half an eye and had a similar look to another message - so just mislead…
@KevinKraze: Just in case the problem is related to what I experienced on kccat6, could you try what I did in Help needed (Unofficial build for kccat6) - #6 by Hangglider (replace the boot.img in the zip with the one from lineage)? Would be interesting to know, that would indicate that /e/'s boot is somehow modified from what lineage does…

1 Like

I will try this later today.

Is it normal that the phone won’t even bootloop? It just stays at the motorola splash screen forever which is an issue that I have never encountered.

Don’t know, just had Samsung phones (with exception of a Nokia from a friend, but that doesn’t work at all), and didn’t have the problem…