Default Instant Messaging app in /e/OS: time to remove Telegram and Signal

My mistake.
Haven’t tried the encryption feature.
Had just tried sending and receiving messages to/from another mail address and it displayed fine in the app.

I’m not sure I see the point. An OS should have by default only what is necessary (i.e. a browser, an appstore, a mail client, a camera, a calendar, sms, etc). But every user has very specifics needs in terms of IM. The problem with IM apps is that you don’t really choose them. If your family & colleagues use Whatsapp, you will have to use it to keep in touch, and a preinstalled Telegram would be kind of bloatware. So any preinstalled IM app would be useless for many users.
For my part I use Signal, and tried to convince my family to use it so that I can get rid of Whatsapp. They accepted, but now they have Signal installed only to talk with me, and Whatsapp and Messenger to talk to other people…
As for DeltaChat, it looks OK, but it’s not universal at all, it’s only one more alternative. If you have contacts who don’t use it, they won’t understand why you send them an email instead of contacting them with their favourite IM app.
Preinstalled apps that can be removed is a very complex thing (and what happens if an unexperienced user like mom & dad uninstalls the browser and the appstore ?). Why not keeping it simple ? The bare minimum, and then you go to the appstore and download what you need. If people are not happy with the browser or the email app, they can disable them and replace them by whatever they want. I don’t see the problem, it’s quite normal when you configure a new phone.

6 Likes

I agree with those who say it’s difficult to choose an IM application to pre-install on the OS.
Personally, I use the QKSMS fork for SMS, it has everything that is necessary for this kind of use, and Telegram and Whatsapp for IM.
I have tried many times to convert my family and friends to Signal and Telegram, but few of them have followed me and I don’t know for how long. I don’t use Facebook messanger and I’m almost the only one in the family. I also tried to explain to them the issues of personal data and privacy, but each time I am seen as the family’s fool.

I can switch to Delta Chat, but my contacts who don’t use it will find it strange to receive my IM as an email because they use little or no email communication.

I think it is important to give the end user the choice to choose which applications to install or not or to offer him a panel of privacy-friendly applications when he is installing one of these applications.

2 Likes

I agrree :wink:
But DC seems to be on the right track and the main reason for choosing DC is the decentralized server structure that you can select and use.

I’m so frustrated by this that I almost wish it would happen :black_joker:

2 Likes

I am charmed by this idea too, but I think it does not make sense:
In this case /e/ should propose a comprehensive list of messengers including the less desirable options (such as WhatsApp). So, most people might opt for the well known apps such as WhatsApp. But technically less savvy people might be will be overwhelmed with the options at the moment of installation.

So I think /e/ should either use the opportunity to promote (just) one of the better options by preinstalling it (there are good arguments for each of the three - Signal, Telegram, Delta Chat) or simply leave out messengers as standard apps.

Personally, I tend rather to the last option (no messenger at all), but to use the AppStore to actively promote Signal, Telegram and Delta Chat.

3 Likes

What are the actual reasons against Matrix/Riot?

In my limited experience with it I’d say the concept of everything being a room takes some getting used to. Maybe if I knew anyone else who was using it then I’d learn to use it properly but it seems like a very different paradigm to anything else I’ve seen.

I agree with Julien on point to “recommended App”, where such recommendation must be trusted.

I will prefere /e/OS build up in Linux-style with:

• just a “kernel” of apps to have the system running at the base;
    +groups of apps to be [also] installed as a bundle for specific goals, keeping any of the as a single app to be installed.
    At /e/-ignition time user my choose which bundle to ask for installation or none.

For communication apps, in my opinion it’s not an option to have:
    a) multiplatform support: not just a phone apps but desktop also;
    b) 100% FOSS for apps is not an option: if a server-component exists, it must be FOSS.

About a):

• deltaChat (never tried) runs on Linux as an AppImage.
  • https://jami.net/ may be also an option for instant communication area.

It needs some work. I’ve never been able to get it to run without crashing.

In my opinion, if /e/ wants to grow quickly and be used quickly, simplicity must be the goal. The simplicity allows a reliable and usable system “out of the box”, even by a total neophyte.

Personally I use signal even for sms, but I do not necessarily recommend it to neophytes. However, it is through the neophyte segment that success will be achieved.

In my opinion, it would be appropriate to aim for a basic package “call, sms/mms, mail, photo, notes, calendar etc.”. For the other Apps and to continue in the philosophy of /e/, “highlights” could be made via Apps.

Similarly, we could imagine, at the time of installation, to propose the installation of additional applications or simply to present these applications and let the user install them via Apps.

4 Likes

Signal for privacy andere security

1 Like

I haven’t tried delta chat but in theory it’s my favourite option. But if it doesn’t work in all cases and isn’t “instant” then unfortunately it’s not ready to be pre installed.

1 Like

My disappointment exactly, this is why I can’t use it for everything!

I’m using Matrix, XMPP, and DC ,
with minor limitations, each works its own way.
But I never used WA, Signal or Telegram because of centralized sever structur and using device contacts and tracking.

3 Likes

hey Gael, my view on this: I tried Deltachat but it’s not so attractive because no one else uses it (the whole “then they receive an email” thing does not work well, because then it’s better to send an email:). What i need from this app is an IM app. Therefore, i use Telegram for work a lot and Signal personally. I like the UI of Telegram a lot better, especially the desktop app of Signal is terrible, but Telegram has had a lot more funding, so perhaps that is understandable. I like em both a lot, but i have the same objection as you: you are bound to them and have to convince others to join. Therefore, I have become a Matrix fan. The other option is XMPP, but i really like Matrix because they make a big effort to make bridges to other platforms (https://matrix.org/docs/projects/bridges/) , like XMPP, Whatsapp, Telegram, even sms. I tried the Telegram bridge and it works flawlessly.
My thoughts for /e/: i think Signal, Telegram and Matrix (eg Riot) are all good options. Matrix has my preference, but is also the least-known, but it would be good to support them!

3 Likes

additional advantages of Matrix: it syncs flawlessly across all platforms (so far I’ve tried the web app, the desktop app and the Android app) + their manifesto is a lot like /e/'s https://about.riot.im/why-riot :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I also think Matrix might be one good way to explore. It has reached 1.0 level and is not difficult to use. I guess every concept needs a little bit getting used to.

Maybe to start with just set up some /e/ chat rooms there and see how it works ?

I think there is an advantage to have at least one standard messaging app. Everyone using /e/ already uses it and so you can definitely contact those.

I appreciate in the very moment you might think this are not that many people, but if you see how many people just use Google messenger or iMessenger then this is definitely a growth opportunity.

2 Likes

On the subject of more than one messenger app pre-installed I think we are talking a few MB, so I actually don’t see the point of some people who want to install everything them self except for the wish for purism. I think a good compromise is better than purism for many user.

Maybe in future to have a preconfigured and pure version to choose from can be one compromise, but as that requires effort I would suggest to first concentrate on a solution that works out of the box without requiring too much tech knowledge.

There are in every OS some apps that you personally don’t need but are used by others. As long as that does not take too much space or is a security risk you can just plug them all into a folder and ignore them…

my 2c

+1 for setting up /e/ rooms on Matrix. :+1:

1 Like