[Device Roadmap] Android 9 (Pie) & 10 (Q) : Test builds to upgrade currently supported devices

Need to discuss what this bare essential set of apps should be. Then add them to the build infra. Then have a build script like
If device name = A , B then apps to be installed = 1,2,3, 10 else apps to be installed = all …something along those lines.

1 Like

Or have two builds: ‘Full’ and ‘Light’. For devices with enough space, users can choose either. For devices with less space, only the ‘Light’ version is available.

So your build script is

1. Build ‘Light’ version.
  2. If device has space, build ‘Full’ version

And the “James Bond” version!!

1 Like

ah OK i misunderstood, i thought these were official now. Do these builds get OTA updates? Or do we need to update manually?

I installed it and it is running really smoothly as always, Samsung Galaxy A3 (2016) (a3xelte).

Looking at making the next build for these devices OTA.

2 Likes

James bond? Is that a version with cool spying gadgets inside? :slight_smile:

No :yum: It will be more a version “advanced users in term of privacy” : no need for MicroG, no need for an access to non-free apps (the Apps installer), etc. But I don’t know at all what this mysterious version will have in it (or won’t have).

1 Like

I once again throw the Samsung Galaxy S4mini into the ring for an update, there are official lineage os 16.0 existing and perfectly working :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Actually LineageOS supports this phone but only on Nougat, so you will have to wait, if an unofficial LineageOS build exists on Pie as you said, un unofficial /e/ build should come in less than 2 months.
(Or you can build it yourself since you have the skills)

Thank you Jannes!!! :blush:

1 Like

No the official sources exist for lineage 16.0, there only is no one to build it at lineage sources :slight_smile:

Will add it to the list and share a test build ASAP

1 Like

Then if the sources work perfectly and fulfill LineageOS rules, why isn’t it officially supported ?
You can see here that it’s not a version we can officially build for. The fact it’s on LineageOS github doesn’t mean it’s officially supported.

But of course nothing prevents somebody to create a test build using this source, and it can work very well, but I think that it just doesn’t fulfill all LineageOS criteria and that’s why it’s on their github but not officially supported.

(According to what I know)

I really am not sure why it isn t official, there is arco maintaining the device tree, which is the one on lineage sources and also the one which i build the unofficial pi/e/ build for the device :slight_smile:

That’s great @manoj!

:slight_smile: see here for example :
Request for comment: highly secure /e/ profile - #17 by GaelDuval

@Manoj Test build flashed to OP3T with twrp-3.3.1-1-oneplus3.img already present on device as the recovery for previous /e/ version, no stock ROM required, working impressively well!

Flashed on Sony Xperia XA2 which was running versions of /e/ in each slot. Wiped/formatted with twrp-3.3.1-6-pioneer.img, no stock ROM required, working great.
Note: About a month ago flashed a stock Android 8.0 ROM. Looking forward to see how an OTA will perform on this one.

2 Likes

Thanks @chrisrg have added the details you shared in the table above.
Planning to build a device based install guide. Right now we have a generic guide on the same model as what exists on the Lineage wiki
A ‘one size fits all’ install documentation approach does not seem to be working .
These inputs will help us create / update the documentation and make it more helpful to users…

1 Like

Installed the Pie build on the Redmi 3S land . I do not have a SIM on this device so not able to test the calls. Rest it works well.
Steps are as under

Remember to remove any pins / screen locks or fingerprint in the Security & location before rebooting to start the flash process.

The way I did this was after removing the screen lock from my PC with adb enabled I type

adb devices 

to check if the device is detected and the USB cable is ok :slight_smile:
next

adb reboot bootloader

I know this can be done by holding the buttons but this is an old phone and has its own set of problems

on the Fastboot screen - here you see a bunny wearing a military hat …not sure why… anyway back to the topic…
Again I check if the device is being detected

fastboot devices

This should show you device being detected with some weird numbers
Now we proceed to temporarily flash the TWRP image which I did by typing

fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-1-land.img

wait for a couple of seconds

check the below screenshot for all these steps

Once the TWRP screen showed up on the phone I followed these steps.

1. Wipe button
  2. Format data if encrypted
  3. Advanced wipe button
  4. Dalvik cache + System + data
  5. Swipe to wipe
  6. Back 3 times to come to Main screen
    7.On PC terminal
$ adb push e-0.9-p-2020070861903-test-land.zip /sdcard/

This will show a message like this
e-0.9-p-2020070861903-test-land.zip: 1 file pushed. 30.2 MB/s (848387279 bytes in 26.806s)
and the screen would look something like this
land-e-installation-small

1. In TWRP - tap install button Select the zip file you just pushed

2. Keep Zip signature verification unchecked

10 . Swipe to confirm flash
11. Wait and watch a blue lines cross the screen :slight_smile:
12. Wait 5 min …may be less screen will flash a lot of messages …the last would be …done
13. Reboot system
14. Mi logo shows up
15. The gif of the bouncing ball under the e logo will appear
16. Wait for 5 minutes for the main screen and complete the rest of the configuration.

4 Likes