[Device Roadmap] Android 9 (Pie) & 10 (Q) : The plan

Cant agree with you more on the small screen vs big screen argument. The 4 -4.5 in screens were what you can use and manipulate easily with one hand. Was checking the newer models recently and most of them are 6in + That would be like carrying a laptop in your pocket.

3 Likes

@manoj if /e/ is still thinking about collaborations with phone manufacturers on new phones with /e/, perhaps this could be a good niche market for /e/ to provide a unique phone for!

There are some active discussions going on with a Europe based manufacturer. Lets see how it works out. I also agree we should push for small or medium screen devices. Guess manufacturers look at trends set by major players in the market who all like the big screen variants.

6 Likes

To add to this, I just walked by a Samsung store, the very smallest they had was 5.9 inch!

Yes, it was a long long long time ago, when we could find some good 4.5 phones, like S5 Mini, Z3 Compact, etc

If Apple keeps on selling “little” smartphones like iPhone SE and iPhone SE 2020, there must be a (little) place for compact smartphones.

And I wrote “little” twice in a sentence… :frowning:

1 Like

Is there anywhere a statistic similar to https://www.lineageoslog.com/statistics?

Might be helpful to decide what phone to buy next.

1 Like

Will check if it can be enabled for all. Most of the devices in the ‘To be discontinued’ list almost zero downloads over months.

Does the “download” statistic includes when we do the OTA?
If yes, at some point this statistic may guide you to the wrong way, let’s take the Nexus 5 which didn’t receive any update since March. So no download since then. However if you guise can see the ping which actually checks the availability of a new update on the server, maybe this is a more accurate statistic to see how popular is the device.

The last time we got statistics it was on the ping.

/e/ OS OTA update servers are getting pinged by more than 2,000 running smartphones each day

2 Likes

I’m happy that the Moto G 2015 will be upgraded. One of the reasons why I support /e/ is sustainability and the support of older devices.

2 Likes

That’s all the same with my OnePlus 3T. I’m looking forward to the official pie upgrade.

Are any of these phones compatible in the US?

Yes
ahooa2020
, I am in California and I am using the Moto G7. Good budget phone. Works great with /e/.

I’m really surprised that many (even quite dated) Motos received OFFICIAL build of Lineage 17.1 (= Android 10/Q):

Hi @Anonyme,

Thank you for the link, that’s actually quite a helpful list. I was already aware of the support status of Moto G3 within LineageOS, but I wanted to know what /e/'s position on this phone is, not what LineageOS’s position is. I think that @Manoj has since updated the list in the OP to indicate that a device will be updated to 9 or Q, but when? I’m not asking for it to be tomorrow, or next week, but there must be some sort of timeline or plan, isn’t there?

In general, I know that /e/ is still dependent on LOS but saying “Look at the LineageOS support” isn’t a very confidence inspiring statement considering that /e/ is a proper organisation which sells devices and services whereas LineageOS is not. When is /e/ going to break free of LOS? Surely /e/ can now develop directly from AOSP and not depend on LOS? Or is LOS only used for non-flagship devices where /e/ can’t justify the investment and LOS are already doing it?

Cheers :slightly_smiling_face:

For Android 10, it will depend on the issues the dev team will face. To have an idea, I would say October for the testing phase (but it can change).
For Pie, testing builds are already available and the official support will depend on the number of tester for a device and if there is an issue with it or not.

For now, we still rely on LineageOS (it’s not a shame) because it already exists and it works well on a lot of devices. Furthermore it has some built-in privacy features, like Privacy Guard.
There are more important things to do than leave LineageOS. I don’t have more precision about what is planned about this.

I’m dumbfounded by the lack of GSI support… I have a non-supported device (pixel3a) that could work great with a GSI. I’ve tried some community member built custom GSI and while they work, there are issues (that don’t seem to be related to the fact that they’re GSI builds). Is there a technical reason for /e/ not to be pushing GSI? It seems very, very puzzling that /e/ is working on dozens of device specific builds and not a GSI…

1 Like

I would much prefer a device-specific build to a GSI. A GSI cannot take advantage of some of the features of my device (e.g. the dedicated camera button on my Sony Xperia devices. GSI is always going to be ‘second best’ compared to a device specific build. /e/ should provide one, and as far as I know they are planning to, but getting good quality device specific seems to be - correctly in my view - the higher priority.

I’m not sure that what you state is true. I don’t see why the code in the vendor partition couldn’t support the dedicated button and launch the appropriate actions when you press it. I understand that in your case this doesn’t work, so it may be a moot distinction for you, but not in principle. Reading some of your GSI threads (thanks for posting!) it may have to do with the fact that there’s no proper/official Android 10 vendor implementation available if I understand correctly. So it seems to me that:

• if proper binary/proprietary/… blobs are available then a custom build can be stable and make all special functions of the device available
  • if a proper vendor partition is available then a GSI build can be equivalent in functionality to a good custom build
  • if neither is available then… YMMV!

NB: I’m not trying to dismiss your concern, I’m trying to understand how all this stuff works…

Fair points. As you say, my views are shaped by my experiences so far, and the GSIs I have used are still ‘work in progress’. It would be great if GSIs were able to make use of device-specific functionality.