E development moto G (2013) falcon

Last build is 11/2019. Is /e/ dev dead for the MotoG falcon phone ? At least some internals need update like microg, maps-magic earth cannot load maps, apps Store - a lot of apps fail to (down)load or install (!) Same app downloaded from apk website is installable.

/e/ nougat 7.1.2 base seem running usable on the phone, the Bliss launcher sometimes crashes, update not available on apps store, the out of box experience after migration is not
good, a lot of “personalisation” nessesary.

PS: was able to replace the GmsCore.apk with update from github webpage /microg/GmsCore/releases/download/v0.2.19.211515/com.google.android.gms-211515038.apk

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like

We do have an issue with devices which do not have dedicated ROM Maintainers or are on older versions of the OS. The falcon has a space limitation which also makes the ROM building difficult. Pl do let us know if there are other working custom ROM’s in newer OS versions for this device and we may be able to add those device trees to restart building for this device.

Thank you. The device is old, but we all have nowadays a bunch of old still working devices on stock that want (cry for) a second life…(as dedicated car phone, car or bicycle navi…)
Some are more popular than others. More recent OS seem to big for this hardware, may not make sense to put much work on it, just some default apps (microG,bliss) need some update to be useful, not the complete nougat 7.1.2 base.

PS: Since TWRP update of GmsCore.apk apps using exposure notification are installable without failure.

1 Like

I’m not quite sure what it is that I am doing wrong with this or what the error message means? Is there a different version of twrp that would be worth trying?
The output on the moto g says ‘Mismatched partition size (recovery)’

PS C:\src\Android\platform-tools> ./fastboot reboot
Rebooting OKAY [ 0.000s]
Finished. Total time: 0.004s
PS C:\src\Android\platform-tools> ./fastboot flash recovery C:\src\eProject\twrp-3.5.0_9-0-falcon.img
(bootloader) has-slot:recovery: not found
(bootloader) is-logical:recovery: not found
Sending ‘recovery’ (9624 KB) OKAY [ 0.337s]
Writing ‘recovery’ (bootloader) Preflash validation failed
FAILED (remote: ‘’)
fastboot: error: Command failed
PS C:\src\Android\platform-tools> ./fastboot flash recovery C:\src\eProject\twrp-3.3.1-0-falcon.img
Sending ‘recovery’ (9612 KB) OKAY [ 0.349s]

https://community.e.foundation/t/moto-g-1-falcon-twrp-img-unknown-error/33382?u=p1000

I’m not quite sure what it is that I am doing wrong with this or what the error message means? Is there a different version of twrp that would be worth trying?
The output on the moto g says ‘Mismatched partition size (recovery)’
What device information would I need to change in the script to use Easy Installer? : Contribute to the Easy Installer

PS C:\src\Android\platform-tools> ./fastboot reboot
Rebooting OKAY [ 0.000s]
Finished. Total time: 0.004s
PS C:\src\Android\platform-tools> ./fastboot flash recovery C:\src\eProject\twrp-3.5.0_9-0-falcon.img
Sending ‘recovery’ (9624 KB) OKAY [ 0.337s]
PS C:\src\Android\platform-tools> ./fastboot flash recovery C:\src\eProject\twrp-3.3.1-0-falcon.img
Sending ‘recovery’ (9612 KB) OKAY [ 0.349s]

https://doc.e.foundation/devices/falcon/install

@P1000 did you give the boot-to-twrp method a try?

Booting to twrp to do the sideload will suffice, no permanent flash necessary.

Thank you for the reply. Sorry I didn’t get the message come through but yes in the end I did manage to get it to work. /e/ image ROM download I think the most recent update is Android N? How would I go about building a more uptodate version? Is there documentation for customizing the new builds for older devices I can read through and work out do you know? Thank you very much, @P1000

I think the most recent update is Android N?

yes, lineage 14.1 based

How would I go about building a more uptodate version?

Not trivial but you can always try - check if people posting more current unofficial falcon lineage builds at xda offer their build trees or any instructions/hints and take the modifications to your build.

As a normal user it’s easier to run a maintained device (either by lineage or /e/) - falcon is unmaintained.

Is there documentation for customizing the new builds for older devices I can read through and work out do you know?

the respective build docs for the device.