How to install unreleased version of MicroG GmsCore

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem, even if it doesn’t directly have anything to do with /e/:

The current released version of MicroG is v0.2.8.17785

However, there have been 4 commits since that release including a Fix, that I am desperate to receive…
In Issue 863 exactly my problem is described and they provide an apk to download and try a newer version, but I just don’t know how to work around the checks to get it installed on top of my current MicroG GmsCore Version.

Has anyone done this before and may be able to help me out?
I tried to find a microg specific forum, but was unable to find one, so I thought I’d give it a shot here.

Thanks in advance!

On several of my microG-based ROMs I found I needed to manually replace microG when it was not possible to update via normal means (like when I was using modded builds during their “down period” or get signature mismatches).

It’s a simple matter of replacement while in TWRP. Copy the new microG apk to /system/priv-app/GmsCore/ directory. Copy/save/backup GmsCore.apk if desired, then delete it. Rename new microG apk to GmsCore.apk. Give it permission 644 (rw-r-r).

EDIT: Oops, forgot to mention. On A/B system-as-root devices the path would be /system/system/priv-app/GmsCore/.

On my ROMs I also had to make sure there were no updates in /data/app/ but that’s not an issue on /e/.
Maybe wipe dalvik and cache for good measure. Reboot into ROM. Check app permissions, just in case, then run microG Settings. See if all is still good, checkboxes and all that.

8 Likes

So awesome! It worked and I can finally log into the app that I need so much :smile:

Thanks a lot for your help!

2 Likes

Thank you for description. I tried this, but I stock on e Logo. Maybe it is, that I use unofficial built pie for my S7? What about the other Microg files? Is it maybe important to replace them too?

I have to warn too, I tried this recently with GmsCore 2.13 and got stuck in a boot loop :frowning:
I need the newer version of MicroG, does anyone have updated instructions? Do I need to install other MicroG components too like GsfCore?

1 Like

The /system folder shows empty to me, and if I do a find for GsmCore it returns empty, is there anything I am missing?
Maybe I should root the device? There’s a root option under Developer Options where I can set it to ADB Only or Disabled, and setting it doesn’t seems to really make anything…

I forgot to mount the partition on TWRP, sorry! :wink: