/e/ fp3+ - fastboot only & device locked

Hi everyone,

I got an /e/ fp3+ just a week ago, all mostly fine until I tried to adb sideload magisk.
Now the device boots only in fastboot mode, and shows the device state as locked.
It previously booted in recovery with a /e/ error screen, “cant load android system / maybe corrupted / you may need to factory reset” but not anymore.

Here are samples from fastboot commands:

$ fastboot -v flashing get_unlock_ability
(bootloader) 	get_unlock_ability: 0
OKAY [  0.016s]

$ sudo fastboot -v flashing unlock_critical
(bootloader) 	Device already : unlocked!
OKAY [  0.019s]

$ sudo fastboot -v flashing unlock
FAILED (remote: 'oem unlock is not allowed')
fastboot: error: Command failed

and flashing an image obviously doesnt work.

so it looks quite bad, and if anyone has any suggestion how to recover the device (ideally the user data too), well, I’ll be more than glad…

edit:
I can get to the recovery screen sometimes, although it’s just the “Can’t load Android system” message.
Then the device is visible in adb, but unauthorized (which might or might not related to an issue I had previously, in which I needed to re-authorize my computer every time I plugged it)

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

I think a few weeks ago, I was in the same situation.
I found this in the Fairphone Forum.
https://forum.fairphone.com/t/device-stuck-in-fastboot-mode-after-oem-re-locking/57428/4

Please try this:
fastboot oem 8901_unlock

hey, thanks!

the command is unknown, too bad…

I got lucky and managed to get a functional recovery boot by switching slots and just performed a factory reset. too bad for my data, there wasnt much anyway.

1 Like

Hey @mkmns,
What was your endresult? I’m trying to get magisk and locked bootloader working. Did you achieve this?
Greetings!

hey

no, I dropped the idea of putting magisk, for now at least.

cheers

1 Like

The magisk installation have to modify /boot partition, it is impossible on a locked bootloader device.

Perhaps it will work after you relock your bootloader after the magisk installation. Not sure, you have to try.