/e/ OS "easy" installer: how to help it support multiple devices!

The /e/OS “easy” installer is soon to be available for a wide range of phones: Samsung Galaxy S6, S7, S7 Edge, S9 and S9 Plus (all Exynos based models).

This is the place to discuss how to have the easy installer support more devices.

Resources:

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

14 Likes

Is it as easy for you to add new devices as to add the commands to be executed, (the same ones in the /e/ devices doc) and then the device is added?
If so I would recommend adding all of them.
Isn’t that what the installer does? Just basically use the Terminal, and add a graphical interface (that I must say looks pretty sweet, nice job! :grin: :laughing:) and download the files?
In that case it should be pretty easy.

Please correct me if I don’t understand it correctly!

Is the Fairphone 3 scheduled ?

1 Like

The source code will be released on Gitlab. Once there users with development expereince can add devices as required and share with the community.

3 Likes

Looking forward to Sony Xperia XA2 being added to the easy installer :slight_smile:

Keep up with the good work

If i am correct, the instructions to enable “developer mode” and “enable adb” are “hardcoded”. My device Leeco S2 has stock android 6, so there are some differences. The scripts to flash recovery, /e/ etc. are all configurable. I think it is necessary to make the first instructions (developer/adb) configurable too, to give users the best possible user experience. For the device dependent scripts i suggest to use a pre-fix. For example the oem_unlock.sh becomes le_s2_ww_oem-unlock.sh for Leeco s2.

hereby a request for the Samsung Galaxy A3 (2016) A3xelte

nice tool. but … I’m sorry, when I’m seeing the map on the https://snapcraft.io/easy-installer I feel bad, it’s a no go .

Why are you collecting data about the location of the user?. Every collected data is a bad thing and shouldn’t be done be e.foundation.

This is the place to discuss how to have the easy installer support more devices.

Sorry @andrelam but in announcement it is written:
Discuss this project on the dedicated discussion thread at: /e/ OS “easy” installer: how to help it support multiple devices!

That’s why I have posted it here.

If the map only symbolically represents regions, that would be okay for me. However, if every download is registered and reads live as a location into the map, maybe the IP of the downloader is saved, then I am of the same opinion as the previous speaker.

3/4 of the “Home Office” users and “Mom and Dad” use a Wind°ws host machine. But the /e/asy installer requires Linux 64-bit at the moment.

@harvey186

I think the tracking is done by Ubuntu’s snap server and not e foundation. All snap packages have this tracking.

We can still use a VPN.

1 Like

Every system has its Achilles heel. There’s no such thing as 100% certainty for me. The rest of the uncertainty I can live with.

Irritations

Irritations can be concealed without having to erase them.

Fisrt step to freedom divorce from Microsoft Windobe OS, done for years, Next step to freedom : divorce from Ubuntu/AmazonOS !

Fisrt step to freedom divorce from Microsoft Windobe OS,
done for years, life is easier with LinuxOS
@Archje and others windobe nostalgics, try KDE first !
Next step to freedom : divorce from Ubuntu/AmazonOS !

Fisrt step to freedom divorce from Microsoft Windobe OS,
done for years, life is easier with LinuxOS also for home office users also for mum & dad.
Next step to freedom : divorce from Ubuntu/AmazonOS !

Fisrt step to numeric freedom, divorce from Microsoft Windobe OS,
done for years, life is easier with LinuxOS also for home office users also for mum & dad.
Second step to numeric freedom, divorce from Gogol information thief, we are doing it.
Next step to numeric freedom : divorce from Ubuntu/AmazonOS ! A commercial OS based on open source…

Last step to numeric freedom : world wide web interconnected network destruction

Please forgive my irritation, this message will disappear in a few hours to keep the thread clean.

Let me answer some questions based on my experience with the snap store.

The metrics are based on how many devices check for updates to the snap. The region information is an approximation based on the timezone of the device. Afaik, IP addresses are not recorded.

The publisher can choose to turn off the public display of the metrics in the listing page, though the publisher will always be able to see the metrics themselves.

At the moment, there does not seem to be a way to opt out of the metrics, but I haven’t seen many people ask for it, so it might just be due to a lack of request for it. The snapcraft devs are very responsive on https://forum.snapcraft.io, so if you care about opting out, it might be useful to respectfully engage with them there.

Though it’s important to keep in mind that this kind of data is collected by most package repositories. The snap store is one of the few that actually shows these metrics publicly.

7 Likes

Firstly you are right this is the place where you can ask questions about the easy-installer
Secondly the data collection is not a requirement from /e/ it is more a request from the snap side. @galgalesh has given a nice explanation of why the details are required so no need for a further clarification.

1 Like

yes, thx, I have seen. But the question still is, why is e.foundation using such spying tools. And it seems that I’m not the only one who is that meaning. I telegram group it’s also been criticized

Hi all.
Sorry if my question seems stupid but how can I be aware when a new smartphone will be added in the supported devices list ?
For now, I see that some Samsung are.
I have received a new “from the box” Fairphone 3 yesterday. Never switched on yet :smile:
I am not a developper and in place of using command lines to install /e/OS on it, I feel more secure to use the easy-installer :stuck_out_tongue:
I have installed the snap on my kubuntu 20.04. It starts great.
Updates will be automatic when new devices will be available to install with easy-installer ?

Your work is great ! Thanks a lot for all you do about /e/ :hugs:

The source code is available. So users who want to can still build it from source if they so want.

1 Like

People who can build it don’t need an easy installer. Can you create another thread about adding devices, this topic is not about adding devices anymore.

5 Likes

I started one here /e/ OS “easy” installer: development thread about adding new devices where I want to add the FP3.

6 Likes