/e/OS on laptops, PinePhone

A laptop /e/OS is interesting but my I’d prefer to stick with mobile devices for now since most of us are looking for alternatives to Android/iPhone. That said, I’m fully onboard on bringing /e/ to PinePhone as well!

2 Likes

So why would I use eelo instead of some Linux distro on my laptop.

We will share details of what comes with the /e/OS once it is released. That being said it is always for you to decide what you want to use on your laptop.

2 Likes

Take my Olimex Teres A64 laptop kit for example, only distro that seems to run ok without any major drawbacks is Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS, Teres edition (what it comes packaged with). So the possibility of /e/ as an option for it would be great and get more life out of it. As it’s a great little DIY laptop kit.

Well that depends on what u have tried on ur laptop. If u need small non demanding Linux distro’s there r several options. Maybe u have tried them I don’t know, but check this link for a couple of options:

https://opensource.com/article/19/6/linux-distros-to-try?utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=weekly&sc_cid=701f20000012yZ6AAI

This is interesting to read your comments. So, why an Android-based OS for a laptop instead of a Linux distribution?

There is a simple reason for that: although Linux distributions are great, they often miss something useful: application support.

One thing I remember when doing Mandrake Linux, is, we tried to convince people that they could use Gimp instead of Photoshop, or KDEnlive instead of Premiere. This kind of things. And this did not succeed, because, obviously, graphists are using Photoshop, and video editors are using Premiere and similar professionnal applications.

It was the same story with Firefox OS: the lack of supported applications killed the project.

That’s the reason I think using Android as a base, for phones, but also for other devices like tablets and laptops is the way to go if you are seeking acceptation from a large number of users, individuals, professionnals, industry customers.

Another reason, is that probably, we can eventually start to offer a kind of integration of /e/OS accross various devices like smartphone and PC, to retrieve the same environment and data on your phone and your desktop PC or laptop.

13 Likes

Ps I’m buying the Pinebook the second it becomes available with /e/!

1 Like

I love this idea. I’m a mainstream user, not an it expert, and I’ve tried Linux, but to be honest it’s complicated for a non-expert. The idea of having an /e/ laptop version, that is as easy to use as a Chrome book, sounds great to me. + it would allow for use of all apps in the Android ecosystem + for a streamlined experience between my /e/ phone and laptop. Great idea!!!

4 Likes

Hmm, that is interesting. I must say that I have not thought of that. This could be the missing link between privacy VS usability.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions, Trouble is my Olimex (as well as Pinebook) has a ARM processor so that really limits supported options. So far I’ve tried Xubuntu 18.04 LTS, Armbian: upstream Debian edition & Armbian: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS-based. All of which would have some sort of sound or wireless connectivity issue at the very least.

An interesting idea that may be a good idea, but I must confess I am skeptical for a couple of reasons.
Personally I am not interested in using any Android flavor on a laptop. With a physical keyboard and no touch screen I want a more general purpose OS with a multitasking desktop and apps not optimized for touch. Using Android feels like wearing handcuffs. Maybe I am missing something.
My other concern is diluting the core mission of /e/. If /e/ can be ported to Pine without diluting developer effort on phones, that is great. I became a supporter 2 years ago to bring privacy to phones and that objective is not yet realized. I fear the project may lose focus if it branches too much. Still waiting for version 1.0 and for Pie to officially come to my device.

Overall the project and it’s people are great! This is meant to be helpful, not critical.

7 Likes

I agree that a consistent environment between mobile and laptop devices with the ability to run all the apps in the app store on a laptop is a good idea. I appreciate the desire to keep up to date with new devices but I wish there were more support for older devices, particularly the older Samsung GTP5?00 7/10 inch tablets (espresso3g,espressowifi). After replacing the bloated Samsung distribution with something else and unable to go back my GTP5100 is now stuck on KitKat and still tied into Google. So far I have only installed e/OS on a Sony Xperia Z5 that I bought 2nd hand expressly for that purpose and I suspect that people will want to install it on older devices to try it out rather than replace the distribution on a new device. So supporting older devices will breath new life into them and allow people to try e/OS on an old device that they might otherwise throw away.

4 Likes

Perhaps for after the pine :slight_smile: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/08/samsungs-new-galaxy-book-s-laptop-is-built-around-qualcomms-snapdragon-8cx/

1 Like

/e/ for the PinePhone would be great

1 Like

@Rik’s idea with Galaxy Book S is good and obvious, but the price difference between PineBook and Galaxy Book S is enormous.

A new Galaxy Book S and a still reletiv unknown /e/ OS should not be easy to sell. Maybe later, when the price drop has started or when there are used devices …

no, i do not share this opinion.

typical mobile apps are so much inferior regarding their actual capabilities and usually crammed with trackers and other spy mechanism, so that i would never see them as an attractive alternative to real linux desktop applications even on this kind of rather weak arm64 devices.

3 Likes

I agree there.
If /e/ becomes a new Linux distro, then ok. If it’s just am effort to push the portability of mobile apps onto a laptop… Why? :man_shrugging:t2:

Any sneak peaks yet @GaelDuval?

1 Like

On Pine forum there is an image: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=7954

Is this build officially supported by /e/?
How long till it reaches EOL?

Hi @Nastja at present we are in the initial stages of porting /e/ for Pine laptop and later PinePhones. We should have more details on questions like official support, EOL soon. We will be updating on the progress.

2 Likes