Email your bank to start accepting /e/!

Hello everyone, I recently wanted to switch bank accounts, and therefore sent the following email to all banks in the Netherlands. Maybe if you do this too with the banks in your own country, we can all create change in this area! The banks I spoke to indicated that this was the first time they heard it, so maybe if they get more messages, they’ll change their minds!
Rik
ps bank apps are the only apps that frequently pose a problem for /e/ users, because they use Google security certificates and do not allow installation without those certificates.

For banks you are currently banking with

Hello,

I bank with your bank, however, I am now considering switching to another bank. The reason for this is that your app is not available in the app store of the phone I use. I’m just using Android, but a new form of Android, where everything by Google has been taken out of the phone of to better protect the privacy of users (it is “ungoogled”). See www.e.foundation . All my normal apps are available in the app store (spotify, whatsapp, telegram, news apps, Uber, etcetc), except yours. Do you know why this is? If your app isn’t available there, I think I’ll switch to another bank, which I’d rather not do!

Kind regards,

–YOUR NAME–

Ps I understood from the makers of this new phone that many bank apps are not yet available in this app store for security reasons, that banks sometimes use Google certificates to ensure security. But actually, that creates a monopoly for Google phones! It means that better, more privacy-enabled phones like the one I use cannot use bank apps. Surely that cannot be the intention, to assist in a market monopoly like that! Moreover, this Android OS is much safer than Google! I switched to it because Google steals my data, but this OS does not!

For banks that you are NOT currently banking with:

Hello,

I’m considering banking with you, but your app is not available in the app store of the phone I’m using. I’m just using Android, but a new form of Android, where everything by Google has been taken out of the phone of to better protect the privacy of users (it is “ungoogled”). See www.e.foundation . All my normal apps are available in the app store (spotify, whatsapp, telegram, news apps, Uber, etcetc), except yours. Do you know why this is? If your app isn’t available there, I won’t be able to open a bank account with you, because being able to do banking on my phone is important to me!

Kind regards,

–YOUR NAME–

Ps I understood from the makers of this new phone that many bank apps are not yet available in this app store for security reasons, that banks sometimes use Google certificates to ensure security. But actually, that creates a monopoly for Google phones! It means that better, more privacy-enabled phones like the one I use cannot use bank apps. Surely that cannot be the intention, to assist in a market monopoly like that! Moreover, this Android OS is much safer than Google! I switched to it because Google steals my data, but this OS does not!

15 Likes

@Rik I believe all apps in the /e/ App Store are curated by the /e/ staff, and are cloned from the Google app store upon request. Have you tried the “Request app” feature from within the /e/ App store? You can find this feature in the App Store settings. I have had several apps added using this feature.

Actually for certains bank apps the issue isn’t to find it, but to use it without passing Google SafetyNet.

1 Like

Hi yes I tried this, with the banking apps the problem does not lie with /e/ but with the banks and their requirement for Google certificates!

Could you elaborate on the “Google certificate” you are referring to? I’m not sure I understand where a Google certificate comes into play. Do you have some documentation regarding this certificate requirement?

MicroG was passing SafetyNet but this year Google changed the way it works and MicroG can’t make your phone pass SafetyNet anymore.

5 Likes

great thanks @Anonyme . From this article:

“It’s tough to find an up-to-date list of apps that don’t work when a device is rooted. However, RootCloak provides several lists. These lists may be out-of-date, but they’re the best ones we can find. Many are banking and other mobile wallet apps, which block access on rooted phones in an attempt to protect your banking information from being captured by other apps. Apps for video streaming services may also refuse to function on a rooted device as a sort of DRM measure, attempting to prevent you from recording a protected video stream.”

1 Like

Yes indeed.
For instance, i have installed com.cm_prod.bad wich is a french bank (called “Crédit Mutuel”) application. And unfortunately something goes wrong and i can’t use it: when i try to get a notification (that means that i clic on the item ‘Notifications’ in the ‘My profil’ menu of the application) i receive a " can’t connect to server" error and i really need to get them because they are used for double factor authentification. I guess it’s something to do with google, but i can’t be sure… If someone knows how to get rid of theses errors, he/she is welcome.

1 Like

Only the bank can. Email/call them using the message above!! Translation is easy via Deepl

Do you have a VPN ? (Or an adblocker ?) If yes deactivate it/them.

no, i purchased my /e/-phone with eelo preinstalled to e.foundation and a have not modified anything. thank you for your advice though.

1 Like

Very good to push banks to support privacy friendly app stores. Also ask for free opensource software, then banking apps could also come in the F-Droid store.

The Triodos app version 2.16.1 does not depend on Google. (not even gapps)
I downloaded it via Aurora before Google killed their anonymous accounts, so I lost the auto updates. Latest version is now 2.18.2
Need to find an auto update solution, don’t like my banking app to be outdated.

1 Like

Have you submitted this app for the /e/ app store? If it works on /e/ then perhaps they can add it to the /e/ app store and auto update it there for you!

Someone already requested it, but its not available yet.
(Why can’t I add a ‘+1’ to the request?)

Most Dutch Bank apps have been requested months and months ago and still not a single 1 is in the apps store…

Hi @Eelo these apps that you requested are they available on FDroid

@GaelDuval @Manoj I remember we talked about this on Telegram, i thougt Gaël explained the reason for not adding them was banks don’t allow this right?

Many banks have tied up their apps with Google user authentication. Accepting a different means of identifying users will mean updating their apps and systems…

Some dutch bank apps work without gmail authentication, but are still not in /e/ Apps. This is because banks don’t legally allow this according the conversation in July. Don’t know if that is still the /e/ point of view? I think it’s importand to be clear about this.

1 Like

Some banks do not allow to publish their apps outside the Google store. This is the reason that they are not in the /e/ Apps store.