eRecovery Testing!

It’s a nice idea and I will test it, but …
why a e-recovery now ??
Not is really finished,

• eOS itself still in beta and ‘old’ android version
  • apps store not working most time
  • easy installer not ready
    and now the next thing.

All the time new things, I think the resources are better invest in a final eOS in actual version. That’s what all waiting for.

5 Likes

The old versions are being updated , Apps store has issues and developers are looking into it, Easy installer is open to the community and from the post here devices are being added
All these small changes go into the final eOS .
What is the point if we go with a final version with a lineage recovery still attached to it…

2 Likes

From what I understood, also Windows support of the easy installer is quite advanced :slight_smile:
Lots of people requested that IIRC.

And my personal impression: when the installer was initially released there were a couple of obstacles that made it not-so-straightforward to add new devices.
Now that almost a handful are added beyond the initial Samsung models (ok, partly work in progress), the ultimate goal seems to be rather near: adding new devices just means adding config files and testing that it works.

1 Like

Yes, ‘undersatble’ but security patchs (from gg) come via LOS via AOSP… Independence is a long, long way. TWRP works fine and isn’t a ‘every day use’ tool, for common e.users.

Perhaps not a hurry…

2 Likes

How is TWRP and Android 10 coming along? As far as I know TWRP doesn’t support my pixel3a qith Android 10 and I believe that’s the case for other pixel devices as well.

We should be releasing the first batch of alpha builds for /e/Q with eRecovery this week.

The first set of /e/OS recovery builds are available for download and testing …Pl check the table above
Should work on Q, Pie and Oreo ROM’s .
Please share your feedback on this thread.

hee Manoj, question: if this eRecovery is meant to be better than TWRP in that it works for all devices, why are there separate downloads for each device…?

2 Likes

Recovery installed fine on oneplus3T. Haven’t tested other than booting into it, navigating around it a bit and rebooting system.

1 Like

That’s a good question. I have ask myself to.

1 Like

This is a misunderstanding, I think.

It doesn’t mean the same file can be used for every device. It means /e/ plan to build the eRecovery for each device supported by /e/.

As I understand it, this is supposed to be better than TWRP in that it will be readily and officially available for each device supported by /e/, and /e/ would be able to control what’s in it and maintain it, which they can’t do with TWRP, as TWRP is its own project with its own list of supported devices.

5 Likes

eRecovery is working on a FP2 (at least booting into it and navigating around + rebooting system from there).

2 Likes

There are device specific files required to build each of these recoveries. A One-recovery-fits-all would be a great next step though. Will check with the team if that is possible and update.
Also @AnotherElk’s response explains it well and also covers the reason why we created the recovery in the first place …as it gives us more grass root level control over how the /e/ ROM gets flashed on a device.

5 Likes

ah OK so there is a technical reason also to do this, not only a user ease argument. That’s good to know.

Hi @Manoj, is there yet any documentation ?
( what are the features, how the interface looks like and how it is arranged with menus ?)

Thanks

1 Like

Not yet. Once the recovery is stable and tested on a couple of devices we will share a documentation on our site. At present we are collecting the feedback and making improvements where necessary.

1 Like

Performed factory reset on oneplus3T this morning which worked fine to return my slightly personalised alpha build to a fresh state.

1 Like

When will it be available for Oneplus5T?

One question: could checksum files be made available to check integrity?

Or maybe they are there, just not with the name I’d expect, e.g. https://images.ecloud.global/dev/FP2/recovery-e-0.11-q-2020090772203-dev-FP2.img.sha256sum (the corresponding .img exists)

Does the eRecovery contain commands similar to twrp that’s used in the easy-installer?

There, for example things like adb shell twrp wipe cache are used and I wonder if that can be done as easily in the eRecovery.