Fairphone 3 FP3 support on /e/

@Manoj, I checked the Lineage OS website and for now only Fairphone 2 is supported

1 Like

Don’t forget to request Fairphone themselves as THEY asked the community which OS they want on their phone and they didn’t respect the choice of the community

2 Likes

https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032971751-Operating-systems-OS-for-the-Fairphone-3

It is possible to install alternative operating systems such as Ubuntu on our Fairphone 3 (Ubuntu, Lineage) when they will be made available.

We are working towards making available:

• a factory image (OTA) for download and manual flash
  • the Linux kernel sources (according to GPL) so alternative operating systems can develop a Fairphone version of their system based on this. As parts of this kernel are owned by third parties, we need their permission first
  • software versions once they pass our beta-testing
  • any other software upgrades.

It is certainly possible, and more and more people are concerned about having a fair OS installed in their phones. Have you considered internally to reach out to Fairphone and seat to have talks about it? I honestly do not see a better parternship!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the links and the details. As @Julien mentioned there was a survey on Fairphone’s website where users were asked as to which OS they would prefer on the phone. /e/ did score well in that survey but there was no follow up after that to the best of my knowledge.
Agree that a tie up with FP if possible would be great. Will check on this and get back.

1 Like

Do you have a link to that poll? I found 3 different posts for the FP1, FP2 and FP3 but the latest one is already 1 year old. Also these were made by community members in their forums, not officially by the company so while is interesting to see what the user base thinks, has nothing to do with the direction the company is taking.

1 Like

I believe this is the link to the poll
On the possibility of a tie up between /e/ and FP there should be some updates next month (dec) …hopefully.

4 Likes

Yep, that’s the one that I’ve found to be most recent. It’s good to see /e/ is in well regarded there, I really look forward to 2020 and all the upcoming news for this project!

1 Like

Hope so too, that FP2 finally gets an official over-the-air upgrade to Oreo or even Pie.

1 Like

+1 for FP3 - have one, will update the firmware as soon as possible

2 Likes

I would definitely buy a FP 3 with /e/ if it was available when my phone will die.

4 Likes

+1 for Fairphone 3! I already have one with the native Android but I would love to switch to /e/!

3 Likes

And another +1, already have FP3 and have just disabled as much Google as possible for now and installed F-Droid, etc, but really wanting Lineage or e and microG. Previously had /e/ on FP2.

2 Likes

The FP3 source code has been released today. So I suppose the Lineage porting geniuses are already working on a Lineage port. The result of that work can probably be a start point for FP3 support on /e/…

8 Likes

+1 for the Fairphone 3
hope Fairphone releasing the kernel source code will speed up the development :slight_smile:

3 Likes

let’s all vote on this poll!! amazing that they are listening to their users this way.

1 Like

The vote is over, @Rik, it dates from late 2018, and it appears they are not listening at the end.

+1 combining ethical OS and ethical hardware

1 Like

@cedricoola and @Manoj haha OK i think we should still vote and bring it to the attention of Fairphone!

+1
FP is already promoting possible availability of e.foundation as alternative OS.

2 Likes

Where? Link?

1 Like