Fairphone 3 - Incoming calls appear as 'Unknown'

/e/OS Version: e_FP3-userdebug 10 QQ3a.
200805.001 eng.root.
dev-keys, stable release

Mobile SIM provider : Virgin

I have a Fairphone 3 and for the last 6 months (or more), calls coming in from the outside appear as ‘Unknown’ rather than resolving with all the contacts that I have in my phone.

I am using a Nextcloud setup got get my contacts. My phone contacts app is poplulated with many names and numbers, however when someone calls me, the incoming call screen displays as ‘Unknown’ caller.

When I put the same SIM into my Nexus 5X phone (also running /e/os ) , the callers names appears for those same external calls.

Is anyone else experiencing this?, is it a bug? or is there anything I can try?

Many thanks for your time,

While I cannot provide a definite fix, you might want to add which /e/OS version you are on (Settings > About phone or Settings > System update is where you can find out). And perhaps you can add what cell network/provider you are using.

1 Like

Thanks for this update, I’ve added this information to the post above.

1 Like

Ive made a small bit of progress with this issue. It is discussed in this article from the Fairphone 3 people.

1 Like

Currently on version 1.6-20221129238947 and still experiencing the same issue. Disappointing if the only known solutions are to turn off 4G and Wifi-Calling.

For what it’s worth, I don’t have this issue with a Telekom SIM card, VoLTE on, Wi-Fi Calling off (don’t need it), on 1.6-s-20221201239247-dev-FP3 … [HOWTO] Give complete /e/OS version info easily for support, answers, comparison etc.

Edit: I just enabled Wi-Fi Calling and called the phone from a different phone … still no issue (and it was indeed announced as a Wi-Fi call).

So, data points:

User Issue? /e/OS version Network VoLTE WiFi Calling
@awc ? ???-q-2022???-stable-FP3 Virgin ? ?
@awc no issue ???-?-???-???-bullhead Virgin ? ?
@crc issue 1.6-r-20221129238947-stable-FP3 ? ? ?
@AnotherElk no issue 1.6-s-20221201239247-dev-FP3 Telekom on on

We might have to work on the question marks.

Ok so just wanted to give a quick update. I’ve since turned off Wifi Calling and the issue persists.

My current version is 1.8.1-20230204257076-FP3. My provider is Honest who uses the Three network.