Fairphone - FP2 - FP2 - Documentation Suggestions

Please add your suggestions to improve the documentation for the Fairphone - FP2 - FP2 here …

I guess the following section is general and not device specific:

Tip: Installing a custom recovery or unlocking the bootloader will erase all data on your device! Take a backup of your data before proceeding!!

This is not true for the FP2. Flashing TWRP doesn’t erase data. And the FP2 comes unlocked by default and the bootloader cannot be locked (by accident which then would require a later unlock).

3 Likes

Thanks Ingo will make the correction in the documentation specific to the FP2

2 Likes

I just upgraded from Pie 0.13 to Q 0.14 successfully. For me it run as easy as a normal Pie version upgrade. Here was my very simple procedure all on FP2 :

1. Download the build
  2. move the .zip to the SD card
  3. stop the phone
  4. Press poweroff button and volume up to start in recovery mode
  5. Backup the system to the SD card
  6. Click install and swipe
  7. Wait ~5min
  8. The phone restarts and you have android 10
  9. All apps and data are still there!

Prerequisites:

• TWRP 3.2.3.0 tested
  • No adb fastboot required
  • SD card with >4GB free
  • Battery level >50% and/or phone plugged.
1 Like

I have just installed /e/ to my FP2 following the guide.
One thing gave me a bit of a headache: After sucessfully (according to terminal output) flashing TWRP you have to reboot to recovery (step 5).

At this point a accidentally booted to system and lost TWRP. Booting to recovery now showed only the lying android, exclamation sign and “no command”, as if nothing had been flashed.

After some googling I found that if you boot to system right after flashing the recovery image, TWRP is overwritten/deleted/whatever so you must make sure to boot to recovery right away to keep it on the device.

To be sure, just use the manual method described as an alternative: press and hold power+volume up and you’re save :slight_smile:

I see here

that two files are present.

I do not understand, from the tutorial page, what is the use of the “recovery*.img” file ?

Self anwer

I spend hours to find out how to flash TWRP. Flashing was ok but then on each reboot I had the previous android recovery (sibon). It’s because just after flashing you need to reboot in recovery mode, but at this step you are in bootloader mode, without fastboot reboot-recovery command available (“fastboot reboot” set the normal boot process which erase the fresh flashed recovery).

So in “Installing a custom recovery”, after the step “5. Now reboot into recovery to verify the installation” it should be added "Be carefull, rebooting in normal mode can replace your recovery rom with the previous one, the first boot after flashing TWRP need to be in recovery mode : “turn off the phone then turn it up with volumeUp+power”, do not use the “fastboot reboot” command.

Using fastboot reboot is totally fine, but you have to keep Vol + pressed while the phone reboots.
So pressing the button is the important part either way to boot into recovery.

2 Likes

After sideloading the /e/ os zip package and tapping on reboot inside twrp the fairphone for some reason booted into the old os (android).
I have tried this with the 0.16 and the 0.14 release of /e/ without success.

I bought myself a FP2 with stock ROM and my intention is to go through the directions both aiming at flashing /e/ and finding what is missing in the directions themselves.

Am I supposed to write here every step I will find obscure or incomplete, or rather to detail the entire process in another thread ?

FP2 will be my 6th /e/ flashed device after 4 Samsungs and a Motorola.

I’m not in a hurry. I mean I have my S8 with /e/ perfectly suiting my needs, so I will be happy to be helpful on FP2 directions.

For example: in the directions page

the sentence

** Enable USB debugging on your device. You can find the instructions [here] **

should read

** Enable USB debugging on your device. You can find the instructions [here] but it’s not necessary to perform OEM Unlock *

as described here by our FP Angel Ingo (thanks: you are a precious resource !)

On page https://doc.e.foundation/devices/FP2/ is offered the possibility to install or upgrade the ROM but apparently the two options lead to the same url

install https://images.ecloud.global/dev/FP2/
upgrade https://images.ecloud.global/dev/FP2/

Is that expected ?

Moreover, on both pages is written that

Caution: Before following these instructions please ensure that the device is on the latest Android firmware.
For example to install to /e/ Q the Android firmware should be Android 10 and for /e/ Pie it should be Android 9

My FP2 is currently under stock Android 9, but as far as I can understand from
https://doc.e.foundation/build-status,
the zip files named
e-0.16-q-20210424112062-dev-FP2.zip
are relative to Q build (Android 10)

Again, is that correct or I badly miss something VERY obvious ?