Fairphone - FP3 - FP3+ Documentation Suggestions

In Failed update, why (q0.17, FP3) the original poster said something about TWRP being mentioned in the install instructions.

After having a look I indeed found

TWRP

• Errors while running TWRP version 3.4.x.x or above - Try downloading and using a previous TWRP version… below 3.4.x.x
  • In TWRP if this error shows up failed to mount /preload - Try in TWRP wipe screen in advanced menu select preload and swipe to wipe
  • /cache/recovery/xxx -> no such file or directory error while flashing a ROM - On PC run adb shell in the console now create a folder called recovery for e.g. here the devicecode name is violet “violet :/cache# mkdir recovery”

in an expandable section called “To find some troubleshooting tips… click here”.

I assume that’s part of a template included in all/most docs?
Not sure if it applies to the FP3.

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing this out @Ingo_FP_Angel …let me figure out a way to selectively disable this in the template for some devices

2 Likes

I asked myself the naive question

Why is flashing the FP3 stock-rom advisable to get updated firmware, when /vendor blobs are installed via /e/ anyway?

and thought I best document the answer here, which partitions Fairphones FP3_flashall is writing to (via fastboot flash + _a / _b scheme).

If /e/ or Lineage is on a specific buildstring, best get the stock rom restore zip of the same version string (as A.0101 in https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/devices/android_device_fairphone_FP3/-/commit/2f9774da148d3ac94975cc0eb6028eff02def01c)

(!) removed the A/B targeting suffixes to diff it easily, these are not direct fastboot flash instructions

/e/ instructions:

system system.img
boot boot.img
vendor vendor.img
dtbo dtbo.img
vbmeta vbmeta.img

Stock ROM - run strings FP3_flashall to get all of them in the A/B partition targeting

system system.img
boot boot.img
vendor vendor.img
dtbo dtbo.img
vbmeta vbmeta.img

userdata userdata.img # skip until here obviously

product product.img
mdtp mdtp.img
splash splash.img

modem NON-HLOS.bin # mounted to /vendor/firmware_mnt/
dsp adspso.bin # mounted to /vendor/dsp/
sbl1 sbl1.mbn
rpm rpm.mbn
tz tz.mbn # qualcomm tee zone
devcfg devcfg.mbn
aboot emmc_appsboot.mbn
lksecapp lksecapp.mbn
cmnlib cmnlib_30.mbn
cmnlib64 cmnlib64_30.mbn
keymaster km4.mbn # probably skip this, not sure if it can hold keys already in use

In theory one can skip flashing all and only flash accompanying partitions… (checking FP3_flashall though if there is a change between versions).

Edit: see this method for an example.

As there is firmware outside the /e/ images, if errors arise it’s hard to compare the devices if all you have are getprops build/vendor finterprints.

I am referring to this instructions: /e/ OS Version Upgrade

I have a Fairphone 3+ with pre-installed /e/ OS. I received messages that updates are available for 0.21 (22.01.22) and 0.22 (28.02.2022). I understand that these must be installed manually, but cannot work with the information provided on the page referred to above.

In particular, I cannot relate the /e/OS reference displayed on my phones´ “Systemupdates” (0.21-2022012215…) with the exact build to be downloaded.

Also, I cannot separate descriptions for Windows and Linux users.

The upgrade documents are not correct. We are working on improving the install and upgrade guides. Disabling the upgrade guide for the FP3 while this is rework is in progress

2 Likes

I just tried today this guide, the post #1, and it worked fine for my FP3.

The docs still mention /e/ Recovery, but the download page only provides an install image, and no recovery image… I guess something is broken here.

2 Likes

The FP3 install file includes the recovery file. Follow the steps in the guide to install the recovery as part of the process. No need to separately download and install it. The reference to the recovery needs to be removed from the guide.

3 Likes

Bonjour,
Mon fp3+ ,avec la version 1.1 marche très bien ,pour ce que j’ai testé, à savoir applounge qui ne plante plus et camera. Je vous toens au courant plus tard pour le reste.
Une suggestion: un raccourci sur le bureau vers le cloud et la communauté. Mais peut être que c’est déjà possible et que je n’ai pas compris comment faire.
Autre suggestion: que l’on puosse créer dds dossiers d’appli sur bliss.
Merci pour votre super boulot. Bel été à tous.

1 Like

@Manoj the installer guide is completely useless at the moment. The only zip file I could find to download is the official system.zip : https://images.ecloud.global/dev/FP3

then the guide asks me to

1. Unzip the archive
  2. Confirm that extracted directory contains following content:
    • bin-linux-x86 directory - which contains linux tools including fastboot and adb
    • bin-msys directory - which contains Windows tools including fastboot and adb
    • img files - The img files that are to be flashed onto the device.
    • flash_FP3_factory.sh - The installer script.

but it DOESN’T. it just contains the img files, nothing else.

is it really me??

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting this @hirntot …let me check with the team and get back with an update

1 Like

Same problem with IMG-e-1.1-r-…
Does anybody found a work-around?

In the guide for FP4 there are commands like
fastboot flash bluetooth_a bluetooth.img
fastboot flash bluetooth_b bluetooth.img
fastboot flash devcfg_a devcfg.img
fastboot flash devcfg_b devcfg.img

That could be adjusted to the img files present in the FP3 zip.

Isnt that what the flash script does anyway?

Thanks in advance!
(Sorry for insisting, but older stable release is no option for me.)

1 Like

The FP3 releases themselves are fine up to now, content-wise nothing changed compared to prior releases, it was always just image files.
It’s the install guide that’s broken currently.

@Manoj: Is there a timeline for the fixing of the install guide? Or will future releases match the current install guide?

In the meantime, Wayback Machine to the rescue …

https://web.archive.org/web/20220413173954/https://doc.e.foundation/devices/FP3/install

1 Like

ok, this is bad. It was supposed to be added to the v1.4 build and seems to have missed. Have passed on to the build team to resolve. Will update.

2 Likes

We will push a v1.4.1 specifically for the FP3 with the correct set of files, hopefully by early next week.

2 Likes

Hello, the title won’t be ‘’ Fairphone FP3 - FP3+’’?

1 Like

:slight_smile: changed as required

3 Likes

Hi Manoj, can you estimate, when the 1.4.1 will come?

1 Like

I have not got an update as yet on this. Will check again on Monday and get back

1 Like