[FEATURE PROPOSAL] Building GSI Image

So… You build it successfully but you can’t use the image, am I right ?

Can you tell me how did you do ? Or send me your image ?

On what phone are you testing ? Do you think this can work on a OEM-Treble-Enabled phone ? Can I have a try ? (Too many questions)

Thanks for confirming the errors we also ran into. The GSI scripts as they are on the Github do not work…at lest not for building the /e/ GSI.

I did the patches by hand, and where they’ve failed i tweaked the code by hand by looking into the patch and compare with the code to be patched. I commented out all the Xiaomi problems because i was going to test on Sony XA2 just to see if it worked. So sharing would not make sense, because it wont work.

If you’re using Phh’s patches, please check the releases page on GitHub, latest version is broken and won’t boot on any devices except Samsung’s. So you need to use an older version, and if you used a git clone command you’ve downloaded the broken release.

I’ve published a GSI version here

I’ve answered you on phh treble but you were not there anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

How do you make this ? You’ve downloaded lineage sources and you’ve added e apps or you’ve used e repo to create the GSI ?
Answered me where ? IRC ?

I used /e/ repo, I will publish a full tutorial on Monday
Instead of using PHH scripts I used the ones from AndyYan
At first, a month ago, I’ve adapted them on my github account but the one from Andy are better
Link:

Yes it was on IRC :smiley:

2 Likes

But why that’s a “minimal” version ? Can you build a complete version ?
But otherwise that’s awesome !
I’ll try it today or tomorrow

Also, your GSI is for ARM, ARM64 or Binder64 ?
EDIT : ARM64, I’ll try to build it myself cause my phone is ARM

Arm64

Minimal because not enough room on /system !
But it’s okay you will have all you need. I haven’t tested it lot so tell me if anything is missing

Well, my phone is ARM and aonly. I’ll wait for your tutorial to build it myself.

I’ve read Andy’s instructions but I don’t understand anything ! Can you make a simplified tutorial or build it for me ?

I’m a little confused. If we now have a e-GSI-pie rom. It should fit to ALL arm64 / a divices which are treble ready, or not ??

So e.foundation only needs to build GSI roms for each cpu (arm / arm64 / a and a/b). I can’t beleave that

Check my snippet : if your phone is ARM64 AND Aonly it will work (or at least it will boot and be usable).

https://gitlab.e.foundation/snippets/107

And yes, the foundation will only need to build one image for each architecture but there can be some bugs cause treble is not fully supported by all hardware, for example on my cactus, the wifi hotspot and VoLTE are not working with treble without patch (I don’t care for VoLTE cause my carrier does not support it) BUT you can only install GSI on devices shipped with Oreo or Pie or more recent and you can’t build a GSI for older version than Oreo (so if the GSI is the only official way of installation, Nougat branch will be obsolete)

You can check if your hardware is fully supported by checking on phh’s wiki.

Yes I will write one,

I’m building you an arm32

1 Like

Thanks, but I don’t know how OTA works, do you think we can receive OTA update when flashing this GSI (who’s an unofficial build) ?

No you won’t have OTA but I will publish new versions and you should be able to flash them without wiping

1 Like

OK, as you can see, my device should be ready for treble (after some hacks)

But device isn’t booting with this GSI. Boot is stopping on ‘jumping E’

So, GSI is NOT generic :frowning:

@harvey186, a device is tagged “Treble-Enabled” when it can run Google’s official AOSP GSI. So your device can run it but it can’t run some other roms, it’s random and depending of the hack you applied and of what device you use.
Like you’ve said before :

It’s a generic image that work on all devices that the manufacturer as made Treble-Enabled by default and without need to apply any hack (ALL phones SHIPPED (not upgraded) with Oreo or more recent need to be OEM-Treble-Enabled to have right to have Google Apps installed on it.)

It’s as generic as possible

@AerisOne
Here is the arm version

https://ovh.phie.ovh/e/e-v1-20190824-UNOFFICIAL-treble_arm_aeN.img.zip

1 Like

which one are you using ? Can you try this lineage

https://sourceforge.net/projects/andyyan-gsi/files/

Thanks for the ARM version, I’ll flash it when I’ll get access to my pc (cause on cactus we need to flash directly from fastboot and can’t flash from TWRP cause MIUI prevent TWRP from running by replacing it by MIUI Recovery at each boot and by encrypting data partition with a proprietary and different encrypting method than stock android, I hope I could use it when the GSI will be flashed.)