This week we have an action packed set of updates
selectiverollout of v0.16 will be starting from today.
- Note: The weather app has been removed from the list of default Applications on /e/OS.
- Selective as the build has failed on some devices. Sharing below the list of devices on which it failed.
The OS and gitlab pipeline where you can track this build are listed below
The devicecodes are given below the OS version.
To check your devicecode type the device name in our Smartphone Selector
- The build failed on these devices. These devices will continue on the last working build they currently have.
- Devices not listed here should get the v0.16
- List of issues resolved in v0.16 can be found here
Reason for build failure is varied primarily as these devices lack dedicated ROM Maintainers and we lack resources to invest to debug further.
This does not mean we have abandoned these devices. We will allocate resources to work on these issue once they are free from their other tasks.
Dropped from support list
- Samsung s4 jfltexx
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge zeroltexx
- Samsung Galaxy S6 zerofltexx
In the last couple of weeks we dropped these devices from our Officially Supported Devices List
The reasons were primarily
- Unstable builds
- No dedicated ROM Maintainers
- Lack of disk space especially in the case of the jfltexx
It was observed that some of these dropped devices are now available as unofficial builds on the forum. It would be great if one of the unofficial device maintainers volunteers to become the ROM Maintainer for these devices. That way we can get them back on the official list.
Making testing easier
- We are working on a plan to make the process of testing /e/ builds easier.
- This would mean a simple switch in the Developer Options will change the build type to test builds.
Advantages are more users can test out the /e/ builds without having to go through a formal process of joining as a tester.
Switch to test or normal build does not require a format / deletion of installed apps / loss of user data.
Still working on getting this process right and will share more in the days to come.
Coming soon on /e/
- OTA OS upgrade As promised some time back the team is working on making it possible to OTA upgrade the OS for all devices. Hope to test this code soon.
GSI - we have revived work on getting an /e/ GSI out. As you may recall we had done some work on this a couple of months back. The efforts are being renewed.
That being said a GSI will only give a new user a glimpse of how /e/ works.
It may not be a full fledged or all features working version of /e/OS.
Also it is not a one GSI serves any devices option.
There will have to be some modifications done for individual devices.
Last but not the least no OTA upgrades for the GSI.
Not exactly an option for the non technical user
Teracube - We are working on getting /e/ on Teracube devices. As some of you may have read teracube forums have reported development work being done around this.
No dates set as yet for this release.
Adding VoLTE support We are working on adding VoLTE support on devices starting with the s9 (exynos) . Calling out for folks with strong development skills to assist in the efforts . Write with details to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have or know someone with the skills.
eCloud sync error Facing sync issues on eCloud ? Log out and log in with your /e/ mail ID and password. There is a change made by the team this week, which prevents logging in with non /e/ credentials.
Thread will be updated during the week