[FEATURE PROPOSAL] Building GSI Image

@harvey186 ,

I just checked the XDA discussions on capricorn, the outdated vendor image seems to be an issue not only for you…
If you have a vendor partition in TWRP, you could try as well focusing directly on Pie (no clue if that works), following the instructions here. It seems they have a vendor file for flashing. Put on the Pie version from the article and in case it works, wipe /Dalvik Cache, /System, /Data, /Cache and flash /e/ GSI version.

P.S. For Mido I did not need at all Fastboot, I did everything via TWRP.

thx, but I’m working with that vendor.img :frowning:

I’m doing also everything via TWRP

have tried 100times. won’t boot

the ‘normal’ pie version of e is working on capricorn. Do you know a way, to generate a vendor.img from that ?
I have tried to backup vendor and vendor image via twrp and restore it, but than it only boots in bootloader

No I don’t, sorry.
But what about putting a query to XDA?

Have tried several weeks ago. get no answer there. That’s the bad on XDA, noone answers

that’s the result of e-pie-GSI
gsi

1 Like

Which phone is this?

xiaomi Mi5s capricorn

Thanks. I guess we would eventually need a list of device name = /e/ GSI works / does not work.

Why is there “Yesss!” on the top left corner on the notification bar ?

I’ll reinstall Windows and unbrick m’y phone as soon as I can, I think Monday or Tuesday, I’ll test the GSI.

Probably yes. For now the list here might serve as a guideline: https://www.xda-developers.com/list-android-devices-project-treble-support/
The list of newly appearing devices is probably continuously increasing, but the list of unofficially supported devices (factory pre-treble devices) from the link above might be a good guideline for older devices.

Thanks @ralxx for sharing the XDA list. Once we have a few more devices tested and /e/ GSI’s built we will put out an /e/ list.

It’s the network provider :smiley:

Mine is on that list, but only works with oreo gsi

I think we can use @Phie’s tutorial to build an oreo GSI instead of only a Pie image.
Waiting for the tutorial to be published, tomorrow ?

But that would be a step back. The 'normal ’ e-pie is working without any issue

There is some phones who are treble-enabled but only works with Oreo.
Also there is two types of GSI Images :

• Android GSI :
    For devices launching with Android 9. This GSI can run only on devices running Android 9 and higher.

• Legacy GSI :
    For devices launching with Android 8.0 or Android 8.1. This GSI can run only on devices running Android 8.x.

It seems thats Oreo phones needs another type of GSI than other phones but I’ve not read the entire page.

https://source.android.com/setup/build/gsi

Google GSI, yes, but /e/ GSI should contain compatibility layers for Oreo and Pie