Feedback for v1.11

• Vendor name: Fairphone
  • Device name: FP4
  • Device code name: FP4
  • Version of /e/OS or Stock which existed previously: 1.10-s-20230412278810-stable-FP4
  • Device not rooted

No update available after refreshing several times in update view

1 Like
  • Vendor Name: OnePlus
  • Device Name: OnePlus 6
  • Device Codename: Enchilada
  • Previous version of /e/OS: 1.10-dev
  • Device rooted: yes

My device also seems to be affected by the battery drain due to Media Storage, as reported by @Usem for his OP8T. I will see whether the problem persists.

EDIT: I have reverted to /e/OS 1.10 for the time being. I know that this is not ideal (and I had to do a factory reset), but I need a phone with a battery life of at least one day. I hope that the battery drain issue will be fixed in version 1.12 (or in /e/OS Android T).

3 Likes
Vendor Name: Samsung
Device Name: Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F)
Device Codename: klte
Previous version of /e/OS: 1.10
Device rooted: no

No issues so far, but no intensive testing because it is just the backup device.

Hi,
Just wanted to share my experience on that.
I have a FP3 and I was able to switch from dev to stable via adb.
I just didn’t know it was ‘not possible’ and it worked like a charm.
I’m definitely more prudent for someone else’s phone and I do not recommand the procedure if it’s risky.

But for public interest, I just sideloaded a stable build via adb sideload, and the phone booted normally.

I did it few months ago, because I was mad of a perf issue on FP3, with the OS upgrade test session (https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/qa/testing-community/-/issues/33), and a stable build was available in the topic, solving the problem. I’m now receiving OTA stable updates, when available.

If I’m correct, I also upgraded my phone from Q to R, on a dev build, with /e/ OTA. It was available, and worked. It’s only after seeing the feedback on the forum that I understood it should not have been possible

Hope this helped :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Vendor Name: Fairphone
Device name: Fairphone 3
Device CodeName: FP3
Version of /e/OS or Stock which existed previously: /e/OS 1.10-s-20230413279105-dev-FP3
Is the device Rooted / Not rooted: Not rooted

No issue with updating, now on 1.11-s-20230511288805-dev-FP3.
The following things work for me:

• Call / be called
  • Send SMS / receive SMS
  • Notification LED
  • Alarm
  • Internet via Wi-Fi
  • Internet via mobile network
  • Wi-Fi hotspot
    • Settings - System - microG - Self-Check: all ok, including location permissions
    • Settings - System - microG - Location modules - Mozilla Location Service: enabled, configured for using Wi-Fi and Cell
    • Settings - Advanced Privacy - Location: Exposed
    • Settings - Advanced Privacy - Manage my location: Use my real location
    • Settings - Location - Location Services - Wi-Fi scanning: enabled
    • Settings - Location - Location Services - Bluetooth scanning: disabled
    • Settings - Location - App location permissions - “Allowed only while in use”: Apps are listed
  • Compass
  • Screenshot
  • Main camera (original FP3 Camera module, not +) photo + video
  • Selfie camera (original FP3 Top module, not +) photo + video
  • USB connection to PC / MTP
  • MyPhoneExplorer 2.0
    (nightly 27.01.2023 - for sync with Betterbird instead of Thunderbird)
  • Bluetooth (music playback, data connection)
1 Like

Vendor Name: Fairphone
Device name: Fairphone 2
Device CodeName: FP2
Version of /e/OS or Stock which existed previously: /e/OS 1.10-r-20230417279828-dev-FP2
Is the device Rooted / Not rooted: Not rooted

No issue with updating, now on 1.11-r-20230512289175-dev-FP2.
The following things work for me:

• Call / be called
  • Send SMS / receive SMS
  • Alarm
  • Internet via Wi-Fi
  • Internet via mobile network
  • Wi-Fi hotspot
    • Settings - System - Advanced - microG - Self-Check: all ok, including location permissions
    • Settings - System - Advanced - microG - Location modules - Mozilla Location Service: enabled, configured for using Wi-Fi and Cell
    • Settings - Advanced Privacy - Location: Exposed
    • Settings - Advanced Privacy - Manage my location: Use my real location
    • Settings - Location - Wi-Fi and Bluetooth scanning - Wi-Fi scanning: enabled
    • Settings - Location - Wi-Fi and Bluetooth scanning - Bluetooth scanning: disabled
    • Settings - Location - App access to location - “Allowed only while in use”: Apps are listed
  • Compass
  • Screenshot
  • Main camera (Camera module 12 MP version 2) photo + video - needed an additional reboot to work
  • Selfie camera (Top module version 2) photo + video
    (Camera records completely black video from the moment surrounding light is too dark or changes into too dark when moving … years old issue I already had with Open Camera on LineageOS, can live with it.)
  • USB connection to PC / MTP
  • MyPhoneExplorer 2.0
    (nightly 27.01.2023 - for sync with Betterbird instead of Thunderbird)
  • Bluetooth (music playback, data connection)
2 Likes

Redmi Note 8T

Vendor Name: Xiaomi
Device name: Redmi Note 8T
Device CodeName: ginko / willow
Version of /e/OS which existed previously: e-1.2-r + e-recovery 1.2
The device is: Not rooted

The OTA update from e-1.2-r to e-1.11-r was successful. However, e-recovery 1.2 was not updated to e-recovery 1.11. I had to install this manually afterwards. At first glance, Redmi willow is functional.

BTW: The Xiaomi firmware as well as the device codenames are different for the Redmi Note 8 (ginko) and Redmi Note 8T (willow).

1 Like

Samsung Galaxy S9+ (SM-G965F)
Just updated (OTA) from 1.10 to 1.11-q-20230514289715-dev-star2lte, no issue.

Apart that it didn’t solve the “GPS nearly never working in Naturalist and Trackbook since e-OS 1.2” issue : https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/5984.

1 Like

Is updating the recovery enabled in Settings - Updater - (three dot menu) - Preferences - Update recovery?

Xiaomi Redmit 8T (ginko/willow) not rooted, update from 1.10 to 1.11

Update went through fine, but it booted after that, there was extensive flashing and flickering even on the SIM PIN entry screen already. After logging in, this continued with similar gliching, random apps being visible for a split second instead of what was supposed to be shown. It was at least somewhat possible to navigate the UI. It looked as if sometimes the wrong GPU buffer was accessed or something like that.

After manually rebooting the device (long press on the lock button, tap on “reboot”), everything was back to normal again. No issues as far as I can tell.

Google Pixel 3a

Most everything works fine, except I’m also having a battery drain issue. Normally, overnight battery drain is around 5%, a little more if there’s bad reception, but not much more. After the latest update the overnight battery drain has been major. For example, last night I went to bed with 94% battery and woke up this morning at 15% battery where normally I would have had around 90% battery this morning. I waited about a week to post this because I know there can be some battery issues after an update that work themselves out quickly, but this doesn’t seem to be correcting itself.

Indeed, 1.11 S Stable build has not been yet published for the FP4.

Should land next week…

Of course! When I use e-Recovery on a device, it is a mandatory default. Only when using Custom Recoverys like TWRP, OrangeFOX or PitchBlack the option is basically disabled.

• Vendor Name : Xiaomi
  • Device name : Mi 10T Pro
  • Device CodeName : apollon
  • Version of /e/OS or Stock which existed previously : e-1.10-s-20230413279105-dev-apollon.zip
  • Is the device Rooted / Not rooted : Not rooted

No issues with updating (OTA), now on e-1.11-s-20230511288805-dev-apollon.zip

Everything seems to work fine so far.

As always: Thanks for keeping this device alive.

1 Like

Update still not available for my FP4

Does say pending release on the dev post but last update i received within 3 days

Might not be released yet on the stable release channel, if https://images.ecloud.global/stable/FP4/ is any indication.

2 Likes

Hello,
I don’t know exactly when the problem started. But it seems to me that it has been since the update to 1.11-S. I use a Oneplus 5 (cheeseburger):

Every now and then I have high utilisation due to the media storage and the battery capacity drops quickly.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Kind regards

2 Likes

Just a wild guess: You probably rarely reboot your device (except for the obligatory reboot in the course of an /e/OS update)? My assumption is that following a reboot, Media Storage will rescan your device for media contents which might take some time and energy if there’s a lot of the latter stored on it. Once that scan is completed, battery usage from media storage should drop to a low level again.

On my own device (that holds 200+ GB of music), I have stopped this problem by using VLC and switching off that automatic scan in VLC.

I restart regularly, after three days at the latest.
I have 45 GB in use, out of a total of 128 GB.

I also suspected VLC. But it seems to have had no effect.
After installing 1.11, I noticed that some apps asked for permission to access the memory again.

ok, I actually meant to recommend VLC in this respect because it allows you to disenable the scan. My actual “suspect” for keeping Media Storage “busy” would be the Music app (or any other media player that will not allow to disenable the scan). But I guess in your case the load sounds manageable and might not require what I did (basically I’m navigating my music folder-based only).