Feedback for v1.19.1

Settings > Search Recents leads to RECENTS BUTTON and Short and Long press actions.

It is quite possible to switch off Recents action; sounds a bit like what you are saying? @irrlicht

So I used that delete button and it disappeared. Everything worked fine.

Sounds like an interesting approach. But the search expression “Recents” doesn’t lead to any result in my case (FP3), not a single one. Note: I’m still on S. Also the other device which works well (FP3+) doesn’t show results.

I wouldn’t say it’s switched off. I some very rare cases I see the list. But only once in two weeks or so. Also the behavior on the home screen is different. When I don’t have an app running and I press the square button on the home screen it should show the notifications screen and a message that there’s nothing to do. I never see this. Instead I see a mini picture of my home screen, like any other app. But I can’t then close this. I have not only a missing function, I have a different function on this button. But using this option could “reinitialize” the button.

BTW: also controlling the device over two buttons is disturbed and does not work as expected.

Meanwhile I think about a complete reinstall. I have two other things which do tenaciously not work on my device but on the other one. The other device is a year younger than mine and has half as many updates.

My Recents button choices are on the same page as Navigation bar. Android Q.

Ha, today I used the easy-installer to do a complete reinstall of /e/ on my device. The easy-installer installed (without letting me any choice) 1.19 - yeah, damned, I had already 1.20 before.

But this 1.19 was interesting. All my issues haven’t been there. Especially the square button behaved absolutely as expected.

Then I did the OTA update to 1.20 which was suggested by the /e/ internal updater. But in the result I have now immediately the issues, all exactly as I had them before, relevant is:

• the square button doesn’t work properly
  • creating a new SMS in the Messages app doesn’t work

Note: I have currently no other software on the phone, not a single app, all is plain /e/.

Argh, what to do now?

Sounds ominous indeed.

Is 3-button navigation set in Settings - System - Gestures - System navigation?

Yes, it is. But also the 2-button navigation is disturbed, when I select this. I also get almost never a list of running apps there and changing from one app to the other is always an adventure.

I made a step forward. I recapitulated all the things I did after updating from 1.19 to 1.20 OTA. Indeed I changed some minor settings, also developer settings.

My problems seem to be caused by a developer setting named “Don’t keep activities” (in the Apps section) which is on by default. I switched this off. That was not good because several system functions are probably based on that “activities” knowledge. After I switched it on again I have now immediately also a proper square button behavior. And creating a new SMS in the Messages app works also good again. (Don’t ask, how these two things belong together …) That’s it.

2 Likes

Direct download link changed in the course of the general overhaul of the Builds page: https://ota.ecloud.global/dev/FP3/e-1.19.1-t-20240113373116-dev-FP3.zip

Vendor Name: Fairphone
Device name: Fairphone 3+
Device CodeName: FP3
Version of /e/OS or Stock which existed previously: [dev version]
Is the device Rooted / Not rooted: Not rooted

1.19.1 completely installed in 1:24, though it had multiple break-offs in spite of keeping the display on.
It ran smoothly with a slightly increased battery usage.