Feedback for v1.8

Thanks again - looks like I have to report the issue & either install old version or wait for a new version and see what happens.

On old (pre-v1) versions, I was getting the impression that some processes – including system updates – were getting strangely lazy when the screen was off. Ever since, I’ve been acting paranoid, and for each system upgrade I turn on the “Caffeine” tool to keep the screen on during the whole process (while lowering screen brightness to avoid consuming tons of energy uselessly, though).
I would not be surprised if other users told me that this is extremely silly, though. :laughing:

Currently installing. Still getting the “percentage remains at 100% during ‘preparing for first boot’” visual glitch.
It took a normal amount of time for me (FP3+). Perhaps even slightly less than usual.

1 Like

FP3 user here.

Just updated to 1.8.1. Update went well. It was a bit wonky (visually-wise) due to switching apps before launching the update, but after a reboot, everything was fine and I received no error messages.

I still have an issue with data, i.e. apps complain about having no Internet. Toggling data off and on again solves this issue. My phone carrier is Orange Reunion.

I think I must be the only one affected by this issue (i.e. the only one with this carrier, and who’s using /e/OS).

1 Like

I had a similar experience. On a newly installed device I have 0 Trackers found in every application on it. And I know from some app’s that they use trackers. Anyone else seeing the same?

Samsung
S9+ refurbished bought at e.foundation
1.7 to 1.8 OTA update
not rooted

All works very well.
Thanks!

1 Like

Hi,
I just downloaded this last OTA update on my Oneplus 8T (e-1.8.1-s-20230203257074-dev-kebab.zip ) and after the install reboot it displays the bootloader screen and no way to finish the installation.

1 Like

I’ve updated several smartphones and tablets with /e/OS-Q v1.8.1 GSI and am very happy with the results. I’m already looking forward to the S (A12) and R (A11) versions of /e/ GSI.

1 Like
Fairphone

FP3

Device CodeName

1.7 stable

Not rooted

No reoot notification after installation, rebooted manually.

Now there is a Problem with apps using storage. Downloads will fail with both Firefox and Browser. The files APP won’t show internal storage at all. When trying to use the SD card apps are denied writing priviliges. Is there a way to fix this?

Fresh install of /e/ OS today on a Samsung Galaxy Note 9.

Current version /e/OS 1.8.1 20230206257879-crownlte.

Since install I haven’t been able to open the browser and repeated attempts yield ‘browser keeps stopping’. Tips? Tricks?

Thanks

1 Like

You probably have energy saving switched on when the screen is off. I had that too, two hours were normal. - Set the screen switch off delay to 30min for the update, this keeps the screen alive but also the processor at full speed. Since I do this I never had an update running for longer than 20min.

3 Likes

Fairphone
FP4
/e/OS 1.7s → /e/OS 1.8.1s
not rooted (I think)

It seems to be good so far!
Also really appreciate improvements done to the PDF-viewer :heart_eyes: Comes in handy!
Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello,

Vendor Name: Samsung
Device name: Samsung S9 SM-G960F
Device CodeName: starlte
Version of /e/OS or Stock which existed previously: 1.7-q-dev-starlte
Is the device Rooted / Not rooted: Not rooted

Just update to 1.8.1-q-20230207257879-dev-starlte and everything work perfectly :slight_smile:
EDIT : Installation time (without the downloading phase) took like less than 3 min. Great job !!!

BTW, ccording to Geal concerning the webview (see under):

We’re aware of this. The issue with the the WebView is due to the fact that we had some dev team reorg, and that there is someone else in charge of the Browser build, and it takes some time.
It will be fixed in the coming weeks though.

Has the webview been updated for this version? I didn’t find anything about it in the realease note

Version 1.8.1

• Samsung
  • Galaxy A3 2016 Exynos
  • a3xelte
  • Is the device Rooted / Not rooted: Not sure

All good, thanks a lot!

1 Like

Samsung S9+ SM-G965F
(purchased in /e/-shop)
not rooted
just updated from
1.7-q-
to
1.8.1-q-20230203257075-star2lte

e_star2lte-user 10 QQ3A.200805.001 e,g.root.2023203.135109 dev-keys,stable-release

allways the same pbm with bliss as annoted here.
all icons are reorganized and the launch bar empty.

Arnaud

1 Like

Install /e/OS 1.8.1-s but still no notifications for french medias again :confused:

Vendor Name - Xiaomi
Device name - POCO X3 Pro
Device CodeName - vayu
Version of /e/OS or Stock which existed previously - 15.1
Is the device Rooted / Not rooted - not rooted

I found that the stock Gallery app has a glitch. When open, it does not immediately showed the content of picture folders. It stayed blank for about 3~5 seconds then I got all images correctly displayed.

The stock Files app also has a glitch, some files only showed as Downloading…
I have no idea why. It stayed like that

Current solution: I have to use a different Gallery (simple Gallery app) and Files app (simple Files app).

2 Likes

Using a rooted Moto One 5G Ace with /e/OS v1.6
I looked over the change log for v1.8 and was unable to locate any references to the overlay issue. Can you tell me the overlay issue I reported here was addressed?

This Gallery app error exists since I know /e/ (0.10).

Fairphone 3+ (FP3)
1.7r stable
Not rooted

Update went smoothly and completed in 20 minutes. (Rebooted before updating, set screen to stay on & didn’t use until update complete.)

Very pleased to have seen no issues so far.

Just the ongoing minor annoyance that the upward swipe gesture still does not return Bliss launcher to home screen. First seen reported in v1.5 feedback.

Samsung S7 (Herolte)
SM-G930F
/e/1.8.1 (dev-Version)
not rooted
Same Problem as with V1.6 and V1.7 - Wifi cuts off when screen is turned off.
Issue reported with possible work around and some debug information:

https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/6595