Feedback for v1.9

endor Name : Fairphone
Device name : Fairphone 3+
Device CodeName : FP3
Version of /e/OS or Stock which existed previously : /e/ OS 1.8.1 R
Is the device Rooted / Not rooted : Non rooted

Hello,

I wanted to give some feedback too for the new update. Apart from the fact the I hate the new style of android 12, I noticed the following changes:

• positive: The gallery finally works again as in showing photos AND videos and the same category. This had bugged me for quite some time!
  • negative: My WiFi doesnā€™t work properly. I read through all the comments and couldnā€™t find someone else reporting this, so maybe this is on my end, but I actually wouldnā€™t know how.
    • After like an hour or so, my WiFi suddenly loses connection. When I turn the phone back on, there is no icon in the top right corner and WiFi connection is not there. I have to manually open the connections and tap WiFi for it to reconnect. I know that the WiFi is down during the time because when I reconnect, all the messages I missed arrive all at once.

Thanks for all the hard work you put into /e/OS!

Hi all,

Fairphone 3
E/Os/ 1.8

Iā€™m surprised with email.
I donā€™t see in my phone mails sent via web.
And in mail web, I donā€™t see mails sent with my phone.

Is it normal ?

Thanks a lot for all job done.

Vince

One possible reason could be that the web client copies sent mails to a different folder than the Android client.

1 Like

Hi, thank your for the information you provided. So, following the instructions in the howto I found out that Iā€™m on 1.8.1-R-dev.

Thereā€™s no 1.9-R-dev build available, so Iā€™ll be waiting =)

Nevertheless thanks again for your help.

Hello,

I just updated my SM-G965F ( Samsung Galaxy S9+) to version 1.9-q-20230310268292-stable-star2lite, Kernel Version 4.9.218.

When my phone rebooted my notes app was empty and it appears to have deleted all my notes.

Is there any way I can retrieve all my previous notes? I had months of notes saved. Is there a folder I am able to restore these from? I just noticed my murena cloud storage was full which appears did not sync them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi,

I have the same problem. I am unable to find all my missing notes. Did you come accross a solution to this yet?

Thanks, O.

Vendor Name: Google
Device name: Pixel 4a
Device CodeName: sunfish
Version of /e/OS or Stock which existed previously: R 1.8.1
Is the device Rooted / Not rooted: Not rooted

No issues detected after update couple days ago

I tried to remove my account from my phone and reconnect it.
It seems to be OK now.
Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Hello.
After update, Notes app was still installed but not at same position on screen.
When I open it, it downloaded all notes.

Vendor Name: Fairphone
Device name: Fairphone 3+
Device CodeName: FP3
Version of /e/OS or Stock which existed previously: 1.9-s-20230310268290-stable-FP3
Is the device Rooted / Not rooted: Not rooted

Got an error message on boot without apparent consequence, otherwise no issue so far.

Could you give a step-by-step version of what exactly you did?

The ā€œforcingā€ part is just a question of resources, effort, and how much you want to complicate inheriting changes from the Android base.

If vendors wanted, they could replace almost the whole UI of their own Android OS and do their own thing. Of course this causes serious complications when implementing changes, security updates and Android version upgrades from the Android base. But prominent examples out there doing this would be Samsung (One UI) and Huawei (EMUI).

Hi, unfortunately after updating to this version I had problems with many apps crashing. It turned out that all these apps were based on webview and for some strange reason no webview could be selected under the developer options. So there was no webview available to the apps. Thanks to Neo Backup I noticed, that the system app Bromite System WebView was at version 92 after the system update, whereas it had seen version 108 before. After downloading and installing Bromite System WebView version 108 my problems seem to be resolved. I just installed the update as a user app and it was chosen as the default webview after a reboot.

Vendor Name: Fairphone
Device name: Fairphone 3
Device CodeName: FP3
Version of /e/OS existed previously: 1.8.something (whatever update came right before)
Is the device Rooted: yes

After 2 days of use, I noticed Android 12 also brought a lot of good improvements. The UX is pretty good, altought some parts of the UI Iā€™m still not fan, it looks like a lot of lost space and unpractical. Also, not so fan of the woobly effect. Itā€™s seems like everything is little more snappy. Maybe better memory management. Overall itā€™s still a move forward I guess. I can get used to it. I only wished I could change the blue color to something more personal.

I second the impression that the whole UI is a lot more performant than in previous Android versions.

Samsung
Galaxy S5neo
SM-G903F
1.9-q-20230312268823-dev-s5neolte
Not rooted.
The foundation.e.camera V1.50.1 crashes at start.
Before upgrading it worked as it should, the version I cannot say anymore, it was the last released.

It would seem that Galaxy S5 neo is affected by Camera app fails on update to 1.9 (#6782) Ā· Issues Ā· e / Backlog Ā· GitLab. You might add a comment there, or test the proposed fix, or watch to see if it will be fixed in 1.10-q.

• Vendor Name: FairPhone
  • Device name: FairPhone2
  • Device CodeName: FP2
  • Version of /e/OS or Stock which existed previously: e-1.8.1-q-20230206257879-dev-FP2
  • Not rooted

As of today, there is no 1.9 image for Android Q on FP2 on /e/ image ROM download yet. (In contrast to Android R which is marked ā€œbetaā€, though.)

The upgrade from 1.8 to 1.9 went much better than 1.7 to 1.8.

However, there were still a few caveats.

• Samsung
  • Galaxy S8 (SM-G950F)
  • release before update: /e/ 1.8
  • Not rooted

Symptoms:

• Notification ā€œFinishing system updateā€ with the progression bar at random stages is constantly displayed (only for 2 days and 3 reboots)
  • Camera saves pictures with a green overlay (since upgrade from 1.7 to 1.8)
  • Unable to receive any SMS for 2 days until he upgrade really completed
  • Device keeps rebooting randomly (especially when external power is connected)
  • unable to update any application (for 2 days - until the upgrade completed)

But thereā€™s a huge improvement on the upgrade from 1.8 to 1.9 compared to the previous upgrade (1.7 to 1.8). The only very nasty thing that remains is that greenish pictures (except when taking them via whatsapp)

• Vendor Name: Oneplus
  • Device name: Nord
  • Device CodeName: avicii
  • Version of /e/OS or Stock which existed previously: [e-1.8.1-r-20230205257804-dev-avicii.zip]
  • rooted

I just did the upgrade to Android S (e-1.9-s-20230311268558-dev-avicii.zip) manually via adb, and everythingā€™s fine. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like