Feedback for v2.0

Hi,

I recently upgraded my Oneplus 5T to /e/ e-2.0-t-20240507399779-dev-dumpling and i noticed two issues:

1. When I try to phone with the default app, it crashes.
    com.android.dialer, version 23.0
    I don’t know how to get logs to investigate the problem.
    I tried another app to call (Emerald dialer from fdroid), the behaviour is quite weird. I can dial, when I phone, the app disappear, but the phone call exists and i can phone. But i can’t hang up, since the app disappear.
    When the called one hangs up, the app briefly reappears.

2. termux doesn’t seem to get any connection.
    ping answers:
    ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
    telnet 80|443 leads to a connection timed out, while my browser correctly access the website hosted on the gateway.

Any insight?

Hi,

I have experienced an issue today after the update to “2.0-s-20240514 stable”.
For the first time, I have tried to create a hotspot, but the PC initially refused to connect to it, and after some trials, it connected but declared that there was no internet connection (true, I could not load any webpage on the browser).

Initially I thought there was an issue with the VPN on the phone (OpenVPN), therefore I have tried to disconnect it. To my surprise, nothing changed, and therefore I tried to browse from the phone: no page displayed. Unfortunately, I did not check on the phone before trying to tether the PC…

Back home, I have tried to connect the phone to my wifi network, but again, it was not possible to browse (even by disabling the VPN). I am sure that, before yesterday, I could browse from home with VPN ON.

OpenVPN displays always the message “waiting for usable network”, both on wifi and on cellular data. The same VPN works on other devices, therefore I am wondering what I could have messed up today on the GS290…

Any suggestions, please?

Thank you in advance

• Vendor Name: Xiaomi
  • Device name: Mi A1
  • Device CodeName: tissot
  • Version of Stock which existed previously: V10.0.9.0.PDHMIXM - Global (Android 9.0)
  • The device is Not rooted

In /e/OS-T V2.0 e-2.0-t-20240508399779-dev-tissot are integrated:

• The new BlissLouncher v3.0.1-beta with new wallpapers
  • MicroG-Services V0.3.1.240913-10
  • FM-Radio v2.0

The /e/ information on Unlocking the bootloader in the /e/OS documentation is still wrong!

The internal /e/ Updater app does not find the new release V2.0 despite 50 taps on the prompt to search for /e/OS-T V2.0 and says: ‘No new updates found’

The manual update V2.0 at least works via Local update.

Same display issues with tablet here as well however working well otherwise:

• Samsung
  • Galaxy Tab S6 Lite
  • gta4xlwifi
  • v2.0
  • Not rooted

My experience of the Camera app on a Samsung is that one can get a run of error prone exposures perhaps commencing with a low light or other “stressful” session. For me this was nearly always fixed from Camera app > Settings (top right) > scroll right down to Settings manager > Reset settings. I tend to favour SecureCamera from GrapheneOS.

Welcome @e.18vif to the forum. For support you might include your device, Android version and build type (if possible as described here [HOWTO] Give complete /e/OS version info easily for support, answers, comparison etc or in the format of the build you were trying to install).

I might tend to prefer another ROM on my S9+ :slight_smile: . From what I remember both back camera were never available on dev builds (maybe on the old stable version they were… I don’t recall).
I think it’s a /e/ OS file manager/access issue rather than “pure” camera app issue. All the pictures that are taken are displayed almost instantly on the small circle in the lower right side; it’s just that they are not accessible if you tap on them… you view the previous picture… and the last picture taken is available only after 2-3 taps back and forth (on the viewer). I took today a succession of ~6 pictures and the last one was displayed… after launching again the camera it didn’t show the last picture… the more you use the camera the worse it performs in terms of availability of of picture/s.
It’s not an issue with available memory as I use usually just the dialer, the browser and the camera. As I said this behavior existed in the past also on Sony phones but now it’s much worse. I don’t know if this “degradation” is related to Bliss Launcher v3 or it’s just a bad coincidence.
I think (no guarantee) that these issues have started with Android 13 builds.
I’ve cleaned the cache and now also reset the app to defaults but same behavior. Still, I don’t think it’s the camera app at fault as Aperture was exhibiting the same behavior (and it’s a different code).

I do remember a combination of troubles just as you mention!

One thing I used to avoid was “Storage Access Framework” and save to SD card as this seemed to degrade accessibility.

There have been gallery posts like Gallery app Lag.

Gitlab search Gallery Backlog / Issue

Over time various updates sometimes caused Gallery to behave better; so it is quite possible that you are observing some regression as you associate another camera app.

important addition/change:

because of the still-present issue with 5G sometimes crashing the UI I have switched back to 4G. I also gave the phone a reboot for good measure. My battery life is now completely awesome… with medium use I get a full 2 days out of it.

Vendor Name: Sony
Device name: ** Xperia 10**
Device CodeName: kirin
Version of /e/OS which existed previously: e-1.20-t-20240222382228-dev-kirin
The device is Not rooted

In /e/OS-T V2.0 e-2.0-t-20240508399779-dev-kirin.zip are integrated:

• The new BlissLouncher v3.0.1-beta with new wallpapers
  • MicroG-Services V0.3.1.240913-10
  • FM-Radio Version 13

The /e/Updater only finds V1.21, but despite tapping the update search dozens of times, no OTA update to version /e/OS-T V2.0 is displayed: No new updates found. I had the same user experience here

The manual update V2.0 at least works via Local update.

I was in the middle of composing a longer reply asking how to revert back to the previous stable version, but Firefox updated from 126.0 to 126.0.1 (Build #2016023311 and I have not had any of the problems for a few days now. Firefox was a common element in this unwanted app unloading.

One other thing to note is that CPU-Z indicated I had about 20% free RAM (out of 3840 MB) with these problems. Now it’s at about 40% free after the upgrade to 126.0.1. It seems to be something with Firefox chewing up a lot of memory in 2.0, although I am surprised there is such a dramatic prefomanc drop even with 20% (~750 MB) left. I would have expected to need to get down to something like 5% before background apps start being terminated without warning. Or at least some notification, like I get with a low battery.

Unfortunately confirmed, the soft reboot bug (UI suddenly crashing and showing Murena Logo + Pincode entry) is still present WITH 5G DISABLED. I just had it happen yesterday morning - confirmed that the uptime was unaffected hence soft reboot.

What I find more worrying is that I haven’t really read anything about a planned fix, and it has persisted through multiple OS updates/revisions? Can they actually fix it?

Are you aware of the Gitlab issue FP5 - Random crashes to bootanimation & back to lockscreen #7678. It seems to read that a fix will be tested in v2.2-beta.

Are you able to use telemetry to get a log to add to the issue?

Willing to, but I don’t have that option (developer options) in my system menu.

Go to Settings > About phone > Build number and tap on it seven times. That should make the developer options visible for you in Settings > System.

1 Like

Hi,

I tried to connect to the gitlab to report these issues, but i can’t create an account due to my email adress (which is self-hosted with a personnal domain name).
Do I have to create a commercial useless address to create this account ?

Thanks!

It happens for many users:

Source: https://doc.e.foundation/support-topics/report-an-issue#getting-an-error-message-in-new-id-creation-on-eos-gitlab

Getting an error message in new ID creation on /e/OS Gitlab?

• Some users may get an error message, while attempting to create a new ID on the /e/OS Gitlab
  • The error message may ask you to contact Murena at helpdesk@murena.com.
  • In case you run into such an error, please send a mail with the following details
    • Full Name:
    • Desired username:
    • Email:
  • Create a Helpdesk ticket for GitLab account creation
  • Let us explain the reason behind this error. Some time back we had an issue with a large number of dummy IDs swamping our servers. As a preventive measure we now allow registrations from a limited number of email domains. Users wanting to register with their private email address or say their Gmail address, can send a request to helpdesk@murena.com and the team will create an account for them.
1 Like

Oh, busted, i didn’t read all the page :sweat_smile:
Thanks!

Let me point out, that this implies location service just not available. This is severe. It removes one of the most valuable features of a smartphone.

If you own an S9+ I would strongly advise against upgrading to version 2.0.

This issue needs fixing fast. Or I need to buy a new phone…

My PHEV watchdog app sometimes crashes (with error) on the S9+ but it was the same before updating to v2.0… I don’t remember having other apps that crash on it, although i use very few (and rarely) other apps.
Same app doesn’t crash on a Oneplus 5 running Lineage OS 21 (android 14).