First impressions on V.1 - power consuption & battery heat

Since the previous thread regarding battery drain with 1.0 was closed, I’ll share my own findings here:

I have a FP3+ and noticed a clear worsening of battery life since upgrading to 1.0
I noticed that the Signal messenger started to feature prominently in the list of app’s power usage, although I only use it rarely.
So I have two suspicions:

1. A more or less parallel release of Signal worsened battery life for phones using micro-G (this could be disproved easily if users without Signal have the same issue)
  2. A change of micro-G causes the increased battery drain for all apps that use a certain API, with Signal being an example

I would describe my Signal use in the same way and I can‘t confirm on a Fairphone 3 running
1.0-q-20220527189323-dev-FP3 and Signal Version 5.37.4.

Even had a bit of Signal use today, Signal battery usage since last full charge 9 hours ago is given as 2%.
Ok, it might be prominent in the sense that it is listed, but I find this moderate given i don’t use Google push notifications, which should increase Signal battery usage.

On my side, after about weeks with 1.0 on a Samsung Galaxy S9+, on the one hand, I didn’t noticed at all the battery drain or phone slow down issues experienced by others.
On the other hand, I do experience the reduced range of the screen luminosity slider … but it’s not a big pb for me.
So … congrats, all fine, good job, hats off :slight_smile: !

2 Likes

The FP3+ camera issue is a bit more annoying than I initially thought. The other day:

• First attempt at running the camera app: black picture. Closed the app.
  • Second attempt: idem.
  • Third attempt: error message telling me that another process is using the camera already (ID 0), as if the previous attempts had spawned some kind of zombie process squatting the resources. Indeed, the :camera: logo was staying forever in the status bar, even with all apps closed.
  • Had to reboot to get out of this situation, knowing all too well that the other 1.0 bugs may cause this to fail as well and force me to use the recovery menu or to remove the battery.

Kinda frustrating when you just wanted to snap a quick picture of something silly. :laughing:

1 Like

Hi
Same with my Oneplus Nord. Heat if in usage and battery for 1 day, with v0.19 it was 2 days and with v0.23 1.5 days.

Hello everyone
-Oneplus Nord, stable v0.23 worked well (more battery usage than before but acceptable)
-May v1.0 stable installation error, no further effects
-June v1.0 stable installation process like expected but got “Qualcomm crashdump mode” softbrick at first boot, restored phone with msm-tool procedere to stockrom, lost all data
-After reading in the forum i installed v1.0 stable and recovery with adb

Now, with privacy off, heat and battery drain. Barely 1 day of battery (5-7% loss on idle with betterBatteryStats), with v0.23 it was 1.5 days, with v0.19 2 days. Tried restart multiple times. It doesn’t seams to be drain from an app but the system. Battery usage while idle is almost the same as in usage
Hope they can fix it.

Cheers

Continuing the discussion from First impressions on V.1 - power consuption & battery heat:

Hello Manoj,
our Fairphones 3 and 3+ are unstable. advanced privacy is enabled, using Ecloud, now called murena.
Sometimes no internet over wifi, works again after restart.
Phones are switching of and wont restart only after removing battery.
After an incoming phonecall the phone is dead. restarts only after a hard reset, battery remove.
Phones are slow.
No upload to Ecloud.
App Lounge does not working properly. Starts very slow and/or stops regularly.
Light battery drain, have to charche a bit more often.

3 Likes

I can confirm the issues described for FP3 V1.0 on Android 10.
Most annoying is that the phone switches off each time when one tries to call via Threema or WhatsApp.

Moving most of the threads’ reg reports of issues post v1.0 release …this is to make it easier to track and respond. The developers have been informed about this and are working on resolving the issues. Will update on the progress.

6 Likes

Langis in my case, absolutely unremarkably.

Hi everyone,

v1 was installed yesterday on my FP3, I should have read comments first !

I have a massive battery drain, heat from the battery, and I lost wifi connection today.

I had to reboot, but it didnt switched on back, even manually. I had to remove the battery and it finally worked.

The camera wasnt working after reboot there was this message “grave erreur”, I closed the app and reoponed it and it worked.

I use ecloud, a vpn and I lost wifi connection while using bluetooth, is it linked ?

Thank you !

Hi, same here for me…
You should first deactivate completely Advanced Privacy it may help, at least for the battery drain (I don’t experience this issue).
Also I have read elsewhere that the battery drain may be related to the Signal app (I don’t have it installed), maybe try to remove it to see what happens.

Let’s hope the devs will come up with a fix soon

Thanks @Manoj.
For all the non-technical people like me, i have a question: is it safe to remain (or go back) to version 0.23 ?
I mean, are there essential Android security issues taken care of in v.1.0 that make upgrading necessary?

Please remember, there are many non-technical people who simply NEED their /e/OS-phone every day for essential things in their life. This must be the highest priority.

Thanks.

2 Likes

It is safe to stick with 0.23. I would recommend doing that until the new functionality in v1.0 has been better tested and the many problems fixed.

1 Like

Hello.

First of all, after update from 0.23 to v1.0, I disabled Advanced Privacy with ADB, rebooted and then turned on wifi/data’s/location. All works fine as usual (with Tracker Control and Shelter).

Link to @AnotherElk’s tuto in one of my last posts…

1 Like

Package name is foundation.e.advancedprivacy …

1 Like

Thx for that suggestion but could you please state the name of the device you are using? Seems like most affected devices are Fairphone 3 models.

1 Like

Samsung A3 2017 (a3y17lte) with GSI.

I simply pointed that v1.0 without AdvancedPrivacy works fine for me. Perhaps you could try this instead (or before) installing back 0.23…

When updating to v1.0, I tested this workaround because of lot if issues reported here about A.P.

Renember that config (hidden) files can persist from an install to another, so you have to prefer a clean install with ‘format data’ and as much manual setting as possible. Backup could transfer bugged configurations.

Good luck.

A simple suggestion : /e/ dev team should ask all their users how do they feel with the v1.0.
Because here, we can hear a lot of complaint, but I’m pretty sure most of the users don’t have any problem (I’m one of them). And as usual, we always hear those with issues the most loudly. That’s bad advertising.
It should be good to know how big is the part of those with issues.

3 Likes