FP3: Latest Update 2020093076095 makes phone going to blackscreen / freeze

Hi,
yesterday I installed the latest /e/OS on my FP3.

Today it went to black screen while phoning. I had to remove the battery and reboot it.
After that, it went black after using the browser. I hat to remove the battery and reboot it.

Is this issue known?

What can be done to resolve it?

Is it possible to roll back to an older version of /e/ ?

Thanks!

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

You mean keeping the power button pressed for about 15 seconds does not force a reboot for you?

The Fairphone 3 is an A/B device. It has two slots for the OS (A and B). While you use one slot, updates get installed to the other slot in the background.

If you are familiar with the fastboot command …

fastboot getvar current-slot … should give you the slot which you now use and have issues with.

fastboot --set-active=a or fastboot --set-active=b … will set the slot for the next boot. If you set the other slot not in use right now, you should be able to reboot into the slot with the OS state before the update.
The data partition is shared between the two slots, so the data will be the same and hopefully not affected.

2 Likes

exactly - it does nothing.

oh, thats really great! was not aware about it. Will give it a try. Thank you very much.

Just some update. Yesterday I closed some open apps (slide them away). Suddenly all gets stuck and the FP3 said “System ui is not reacting”. After stopping it (the dialog had an option to do so) the FP3 was unusable. It is clear to me that if I stop “system ui” this happens.

It seems like that I am the only person who has problems with it :wink: Might depend on installed apps etc.

I try to roll back today via fastboot.

Hm, if I:

adb reboot bootloader

I got into fastboot mode.

BUT:
If i then use
fastboot getvar current-slot, it says:
< waiting for any device >

Its a driver-issue -> Windows (https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb)
Perhaps I should run this with a linux-distro not @windows :wink:

And another one.

fastboot getvar current slot

-> current-slot: b

fastboot --set-active=a

-> Slot a does not exist. supported slots are:
nothing standing here after this

btw. device state is locked, if this is relevant.

Sounds like an incompatible version of fastboot, go here https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools download and try again.

2 Likes

Yes, same error message over here, current platform tools fixed it …

fastboot worked.

I was on current-slot: b

i did a:
set-active=a

and a:
fastboot reboot

Version @phone is still the same 20200930

Hm… it was worth a try.

Will it always boot form “A” Slot now?

Yes, until the next OTA update changes that … or you via fastboot, or the phone after several unsuccessful boot attempts on slot A.

I’m not sure why the same version would be on both slots. Did you confirm you’re on slot A now? Did you update manually perhaps?

If you were on slot A on an older version before, and then did an OTA update to the 20200930 version, then the 20200930 version couldn’t be on slot A, as the OTA updater shouldn’t be able to update the active slot.

Hi,
fastboot still says that I am at current slow b. Do I have to write the change somehow?

I mean: After I do a

fastboot --set-active=a
Setting current slot to ‘a’ OKAY [ 0.020s]
Finished. Total time: 0.034s

Edit: Tried this again … now it says: Cant load Android system. You continue to get this message, factory data reset and erase a device.

Try Again,
Factory reset.

Now its getting some kind of a thriller. I like this very much lol :wink:

Factory resetting now… (make the FP3 clean (sorry I mean great) again… I should anyways have done this earlier) :wink:

Now I am at version 20200828.

I assume something does not work at my first try switching the slots.
Then there might be an compatibility issue between the versions, cause it does not boot? (possible?)

Now I start configuring the FP3 again. :wink:

Anyways learned some things about the phone -> 2 Slots.

THX!

PS: The FP3 is a great device. I bought it at release and it can cover all my needs. In combination with /e/ it is even better! Thanks for that!

3 Likes

And another update: Problems still persisting. Phone get stuck sometimes when a call comes in and I try to answer it. MicroG Services crash from time to time…

So it might be another issue and it seems like it has nothing to do with the latest update of /e/

I do not really know what went wrong with the last update but I can say that for me it works perfectly fine :slight_smile:. I never had any of the problems that were described in the forum (e.g. booting errors) and I also use a FP3…

I am unsure whether it was the update, as said, cause I rolled back to an earlier version yesterday and still have got issues. Might be hardware-related.

Yes but as we use the same device it seems also kind of strange … either you have a damaged hardware or maybe “something in the background” is configured wrongly

I am thinking in the direction of damaged hardware…

The good thing is it’s a FP3 so you can easily and also cheaply repair it, however it might be very hard to locate the damaged part …

If you happen to have Fairphone Angels with Fairphone 3 expertise and parts in your vicinity, you could ask them whether a parts swap to identify a hardware defect could be arranged.

Else reinstalling Fairphone OS, confirming the issue persists and contacting Fairphone support would be the way to go.

Hi,
just reinstalled FP-OS and updated to the latest version. Doublechecking how FP3 is “doing” now.
I will come back to you with any news.
Thanks!