FP3 seems slower than FP2

Well you can see it, and if you can find an older smartphone with /e/ you can compare

I dont have older /e/ smartphones. :slight_smile: Can you make a video with an external camera?

Maybe /e/ is basically slow on the FP3, but nobody knows because there is no comparison to the older FP2. But would the e.foundation then sell devices with it?

Sorry I dont have time to make and post a video but I have reported a bugreport and I will try to get the log, and then we will see what /e/ team says. What I can share is the memory app usage, about 50% used, I donā€™t know if it is a normal use :

On a linux system is the best memory usage full memory usage.

Samsung s4miniLTE /e/OS pie 9 RAM=1,5go

Hello.

/e/nougat unofficial, with all background datas Off (except phone)

So after some investigations I have found the solution ! In fact it is the ā€œAnimator duration scaleā€ which is slow !
So go in Settings > System > Developper options and click on ā€œAnimator duration scaleā€ and select the " .5x " speed (instead of 1x) go in the File app and you will see that it is really faster !
If you do the same with ā€œWindow animation scaleā€ and ā€œTransition animation scaleā€ it will also be a little bit much faster, but not so much.
Iā€™m proud to have found the FP3 Beast Mode ! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

So, can you confirm your phone is now, say, as fast as the FP2?
Indeed that is a serious point for meā€¦ For instance, OsmAnd reacts honestly when moving around?
Thank you -your experience is essential!!
HervƩ

I just tried out these settings and I honestly canā€™t say I notice any difference. But then my FP3 didnā€™t feel slow in the first place. Do you have a large number of files on your phone (SD card)?

Clearly the display of the new Screens/Windows (in fact the duration of the ā€œanimationā€) is super fast when the animation duration is set at .5x speed, even faster than the standard configuration than the FP2. I recommend to keep Window and Transition animation at 1x speed.

So what I noticed is that the Display of the standard configuration of the FP3 is slower than the one of the FP2. Note that it doesnā€™t answer to your question : faster or slower.

FP3 is clearly more powerful, released 4 years after FP2, 4go RAM, a well balanced CPU, currently I donā€™t have a real feedback on heat and battery drain (my major complain of FP2) when you use a consuming app (games in my case).

I have /e/ on my backup Fairphone 2 now, too, and comparing with the Fairphone 3 I canā€™t confirm the problem.
But itā€™s good to know thereā€™s some setting which could help :+1: .

OsmAnd works totally fine on both phones for me.

1 Like

Yes I have a lot of files on my FP3, not on the my SDcard but it seems the same.
Unfortunately I canā€™t upload my video where you can really see the difference !
Are you using /e/ on your FP3 ? It is possible that on Fairphone OS it may be faster than /e/.

Yes, I tried with /e/ on my FP3.

Like AnotherElk said: maybe not a general problem but good to know there are settings one can try if and when it happens. :slight_smile:

As I said in my initial thread, it is slightly slower, but in my case I use the FP2 launcher app and in this case there is clearly a king of ā€œslow motionā€ animation.

I think what the OP did compare is (1) FP3 with /e/ vs (2) FP2 with Fairphoneā€™s own OpenOS (which is the one I have).
My concern is, I wouldnā€™t buy /e/-based FP3s it they appear slower than OpenOS-FP2sā€¦
Fairphoneā€™s OpenOS did rock on FP2sā€¦

Judging by the video given in https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/1274

@Alt0216: Could this be the ā€œScreen lag when unpluggedā€ issue?
Could you check the animation on the 1x setting while charging the phone? ā€¦

https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/1245

@Alt0216: Which OS are you comparing with on the Fairphone 2?

I have eelo installed on both my FP2 and FP3.
Plugged or unplugged, with a standard 1A or the Fairphone quick charger, still the same speed.
As mentioned in the second thread, this is the UI (User Interface I guess) which is slower/laggy not the phone itself, and it can be solved by changing the Animator duration speed.

2 Likes

I also have the screen lag issue, since I installed /e/ on my FP3.

Is there already a solution or work-around for this problem?
The work-around of @Alt0216 doesnā€™t work for meā€¦

EDIT:
I solved the problem with the help of the official FP forum.

2 Likes

I also experience a non smooth behavior when not connected to charger. For example on webpages then scrolling it is not smooth. When connecting to charger it isā€¦

Hi guyz,
Be aware that as per the last OTA update (26/06/20) I donā€™t have anymore slowness effects ! Itā€™s fast and itā€™s good !

5 Likes