FP3 seems slower than FP2

Yesterday I have flashed eelo on my FP3 and today while using it, typing my password, or navigating the explorer app I found it slow.
So I compared with my FP2 and it is slightly slower !
I tried some changes, camed back to Bliss laucher, removing the only Widget, stopping Orbot VPN mode … but nothing changed.
The only change compared to yesterday is the SD card addition.
Anyone of you experienced this slow motion ?
Do you think if it can be an hardware or a software issue ?

1 Like

Is wiping /dalvik and /cache partitions is a possible option on the FP3 if there is no permanent TWRP ?

I dont think that I can access TWRP until installed (there is a topic on Fairphone Forum). I also removed the SD card and reboot, nothing changed bien sûr …

That’s not quite it.
You can’t use TWRP until you have unlocked the bootloader (which forces a factory reset).

And when you have unlocked the bootloader, you would typically not install TWRP on the Fairphone 3 but just boot it with fastboot when you need it.
Installing TWRP on the Fairphone 3 means altering the boot partition and this can have unwanted side effects, so if in doubt it is better to leave the boot partition alone.

If interested …

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/twrp-for-fairphone-3/56995

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/used-to-the-fairphone-2-dont-do-these-fairphone-2-things-on-the-fairphone-3/57721

3 Likes

How do you make /system, /data partitions backup and restore on the FP3 ?
With my olds devices I have many possible environments ( one for child’s, one for me, the stock one, and I switch in 5 minutes)
or so I can flash a ROM for testing a different edition and then restore mine.

2 Likes

Have a look in /settings /dev options /memory usage by applications…

OK, so it’s better relocking the FP3 bootloader later than the strict /e/install process.
When you have installed all your favorites applications, setup all your preferences and have created backups.
Thank you.

What for?
Locking the bootloader forces a factory reset as well, so your Apps and data would be gone.
And restoring the backup with TWRP would need an unlocked bootloader.

You could also go for an adb backup :slight_smile:

OK
I am not in that case to have a FP3,
But i am curious…

1 Like

ADB backup is deprecated and restore doesn’t work reliably (seen this myself, but it’s all over the internet, too).

1 Like

It worked the one time i tried it…
Thanks for the info

Fair enough. Congratulations :wink: .

1 Like

When the OS asked, did you incorporate the SD card into Internal Storage, or did you leave it as (removable) external storage?

In the former case you are handing over the integrity of your whole Internal Storage to a rather flimsy SD card, which will probably somewhen fail (I have a few lying around already which can’t be written to anymore) and might take the whole Internal Storage with it.
And if the card is on the rather slow side it might cause performance problems.
I don’t know why /e/ still has this feature, Google themselves removed it from recent Android, so the stock Fairphone OS doesn’t offer it anymore, at least not via an easy tap on a button.

In the latter case … is the issue gone when you remove the card again?

1 Like

So Android Platform “consume” 875Mo of memory, Tor Browser 406Mo Android system 167Mo and after it’s lower than 100Mo for the last 3 hours … for a total of 1.9 Go i.e. 51% of memory ! When I check the last day, 12 hours and 6 hours values are almost the same.
Concerning the SD card, I use it as an external storage and removing it didn’t change anything.

I presume you have shut off the device,
Then rebooted
Could you create a bug report and share it ?

Don’ t receive any bug report … Do you mean create or send a bug report and share it with you ?

I can’t analalyse it cause I am not so tecky but another guy could…
I advice you to copy it to your ecloud share it and send the link by Private Message,
but not to me, sorry…

I’ll see tomorrow what I can do …

We need a benchmarking tool for FP3. Now I don’t know what OP thinks is fast or slow.