FP4 camera resolution 48 MP?

Hello, I searched this forum but did not find anything about it: Is there a way to set the image resolution in the camera app to 48 MP with Fairphone 4? The maximum resolution displayed in the settings is 12 MP. If 48 MP is not implemented, will the native resolution be supported in the future? Or is there a chance to manually install the FP4 stock camera app? Thanks for any information!

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

No way

1 Like

Edit: the following is not correct in the sense that I failed to read the title and thought of the FP3+ not FP4

The thing with the 48MP is a nice marketing trick. Except for very few edge cases, nobody ever needs 48MP, but still MPs are one of the main advertising points of smartphone cameras.

The Fairphone camera has an 48MP sensor, but the pixels are averaged together in sets of four to improve image quality (more light captured, better edge detection). As far as I know this is done in the camera module itself.

As a result, the end user visible pixel count is 12MP and IMHO there really is no need for more.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info. So this is as with FP3+? Camera2 Probe also reports 12 MP, so the API probably will not allow for more. You are right, it is sufficent for average use. However I would have liked to do some significant digital zooming…

Shame on me for not properly reading the title…
I indeed thought of the FP3+. Research on Fairphones website yields that you should have access to the full 48MP.

1 Like

FP4, /e/, openCamera and this project…I think you are on the wrong way

1 Like

Hm, why should I? They offer the Murena FP4 with the same specs as the original FP4… :thinking:

https://esolutions.shop/shop/murena-fairphone-4-eu/

Anyway, sesitivity would only be higher if the sensor is larger (but I can’t find any info on that)…

1 Like

What I meant to say:
It’s not just the hardware that matters. An incredible amount is also done with the software. As far as quality is concerned. See google with their Pixel devices.
/e/ relies on the OpenCamera. It just doesn’t get the maximum out of it.

Since you’re using /e/, you no longer have the original camera that was specifically adapted to the hardware. But the OpenCamera. And therefore only a compromise.
And therefore problematic for your project.
Therefore "wrong way

The specs can say whatever you want. If the implementation of the software does not use the potential.

That’s why I, and many others, rely on the Gcam port.

That was personally directed against you.

3 Likes

@FairphoneHulk So you think the Murena FP4 comes with the same limitation? Honestly, I would be more than a little disappointed if I was to buy it from their shop, regarding the information given…

Hi @Edmund I had a 48MP camera - in a 9mm device - for a while and stopped chasing the “higher resolutions”. While I found some 48MP images taken in strong light quite interesting, I did not actually see any improvement in detail. When I search for articles to confirm what I and @ljahn are saying they are mostly full of adverts and trackers and do not give the whole story in few words. This is the best I can plagiarise, attributed to Rob Layton, Bond University, Australia.

It’s really a matter of quality over quantity when it comes to the relationship between smartphone megapixel count and image quality, old marketing continues the myth that the higher a smartphone camera’s megapixel count the better the image quality. But this is not necessarily always true as so many other elements; from sensor size and image processing to neural network computation and machine learning, [these] are much more critical in modern image generation. Sensor arrays that are larger and deeper will produce better quality images than sensors having more pixels that are smaller and not capable of absorbing as much light.

2 Likes

They did their work on the Open Camera. Because you can use the wide angel lens.
But the basis is Open Camera and they have to live with all the algorythms and filters, etc… of Open Camera. So, thats why I do not expect something better then the original Open Camera which is quit only an alternative for me.
I compared the pictures.

Original FP4 rom:
FP4s original Camera is as good as the Wichaya Gcam port with only limitations that Wichaya cannot use the wide angel lens.

/e/ OS:
Wichaya Gcam port is exactly the same quality then in FP4 original rom. With same limitations.
Open Camera has much more pure quality. The only thing is to use wide angel lens. But how usefull is it, even the pictures are absolutly scrappy

Maybe you want to try the Wichaya Port:
Works out of the box without any config or modding

1 Like

Thanks guys for the answers. I did not really checked the stock rom camera in detail, so I am glad to hear from @FairphoneHulk that the quality of the gcam port is comparable.

My line of thinking was, that if the Murena FP4 is advertised as having 48 MP, that there at least would be work under way to achieve this in the future. I still believe in this…(although I have no clue how this could be done).

As for the use case: I occasionally observe birds and read coded color rings of seagulls wintering at Zurich lake. I managed to take readable pictures for documentation using a 12 MP smartphone , but then you really need to get close to the bird (3 - 4 m).
(Edit: This beeing just one example among others, why high res pictures can be useful: to be able to enlarge parts of the picture to gain more information).

Don’t get me wrong: I like the /e/ OS very much on the FP4, it is the best and most consistent experience with a custom rom I ever had (I tried several ROMs on several devices…).

That is quite a narrow use case ! but a benefit of a smartphone for this is that you may well find an app that does do that one job really well and a different app for other types of shot. The downside of smartphones is that users demand of manufacturers and devs that the device will do everything to a high standard.

/e/'s version of OpenCamera lags but I suggest it is worth following the progress of https://opencamera.org.uk/ as well as other devs who particularly wish to exploit your device.

1 Like

I wonder whether it may be possible to produce a custom build of /e/OS which includes the FP4 stock camera app. I build unofficial and custom ROMs to the Sony Xperia XZ1 compact (lilac), and they include the stock Sony Camera. But I inherited that functionality from the upstream unofficial LOS ROM, so I don’t know the details of how it is done.

It doesn’t look like the official FP source is open, but there is some useful stuff in the WeAreFairphone git repositories. And the FairBlobs git repositories has the firmware binaries from FP4.

Of course the /e/ FP4 Kernel and devices trees are available, and it may be possible to find out how /e/ go about removing the FP4 Camera. Maybe worth a dig about in those repositories, particularly

So I guess it may be possible, but I’m afraid it’s probably beyond my capabilities at the moment. But someone keen and motivated could have a go at it :slight_smile:

1 Like

The developer of OpenCamera said:

Open Camera supports all resolutions (and aspect ratios) that are exposed by the camera driver to 3rd party applications. In some cases, a device might have higher resolutions only available on the stock OEM camera, annoyingly.

https://sourceforge.net/p/opencamera/discussion/general/thread/11140040/

Most likely this also applies here, since Camera2 Probe also reports 12 MP only. Still I wonder if the camera driver will be improved?

Edit: I assume that they got the driver from Fairphone anyway? Then this would probably be more of a bug, or, let’s say, an issue on the side of Fairphone?

1 Like

it appears so.

from a comment on the Fairphone forum that apparently I’m not allowed to link to for some reason:

Also the full 48MP picture quality and the ultra-wide lense are inaccessible. This is a problem of the Camera2 API implementation. The reply from support is that this is not intentional and it will be addressed in the future.

2 Likes

At least here is the link to the respective thread:

1 Like

So it can be concluded (as far as I can understand the matter) that the present limitations on 3rd party camera apps are imposed by the Camera2 API implementation (which I assume to be part of the device driver), and thus apply to all camera apps likewise. Since the driver most likely is from Fairphone (who, in turn, probably got it from the camera manufacturer), there hopefully might be improvements in the future, if Fairphone keeps working on it (as is suggested by @noodlejetski 's citation of the Fairphone forum).

As @FairphoneHulk pointed out, here must have been some tweaking of OpenCamera by /e/ in order to make the ultra wide camera available without using the Camera2 API. I don’t know how far this “tweaking” goes, but to implement proprietary driver functions in OpenCamera for any device probably means to maintain a fork for it for years to come. I assume this is not the intention…

Thanks again for all the interesting input!

Now we have an issue on this here

2 Likes