FP5 rebooting occasionally since /e/os 1.18 upgrade

Have set notification history on and checked every unexpected GUI restart on what’s happening before/after. The last four restarts have all been immediately followed by the App Lounger downloading and installing updates. I get the strong impression that the App Lounger triggers the restart instead of vice versa (otherwise there would also be restarts without App Lounger coming in afterwards, due to there being no updates available).

This thread is now listed as Fairphone > support > FP5, but isn’t this an e/os bug? Shouldn’t it be in a different thread?

The issue have been fixed by Fairphone in the Fairphone OS version A.141 released the 5th Feb 2024.
Maybe it will be included in the 1.21 murena upgrade next month?

3 Likes

I had heard somewhere else as well that disabling 5G would solve the issue and I can confirm that since I did that, I have had no more spontaneous reboots. Would be great if that fix is included here, too.

How do I disable that? I cannot find any setting regarding 5G. I’d be very grateful, since the restarts are starting to annoy me.

In your settings, look for Set Preferred Network Type (at the top you can enter a search term, so you get to the setting directly). There you find a long list of sets of network types it will accept. Look for NR. That means 5G. So all the sets of accepted network types that start with “NR/…” will connect to 5G when it can. Choose the same set of protocols but without “NR” to disable 5G.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Mine is now set to “LTE/TDSCDMA/CDMA/EVDO/GSM/WCDMA” instead of the option it had upon receiving it from Murena (the same string, but preceeded with “NR/…”).

Don’t know all the network types, but gathered that NR stood for 5G. It did the trick.

1 Like

Security patch date is 5 feb 2024 on 1.21-rc (aka, A.144), unfortunately the problem is still there, albeit less frequent. I got my first crash after 2 days of use, I’m now on my 4th day, with no second crash.

I’ve never used 5G, and got short reboots frequently. Mostly those reboots happens when im using the camera and when the auto rotation kicks in, it crashes. Or while using Firefox, and (just my experience) flipping the FP5 sideways, the system makes a short reboot.

After update to 1.20-t the “rebooting” problem isn’t solved but occurs not every day.
FP5
Regards

Still have the problem, even with the 5G off (but it’s less frequent). Someone knows when the A.141 patch will be release for /e/OS?
It’s a PITA to have this kind of problem on a 700€+ device!

We don’t care about Google security patch. We need e foundation to integrate Fairphone’s patch.
v1.20-t is based on FP5.TT40.A.131.20231130
The reboot bug have been fixed in the FP5.TT45.A.141 5th Feb 2024 Official Fairphone update
The last official update is FP5.TT46.A.144 11th March 2024

/e/OS is 4 month behind Fairphone’s official rom.

1 Like

According to Gitlab, 1.21 will come with the TT45.A.141 update (we’ll be one patch behind the official ROM), and as such should fix that pesky bug.
I enabled the test build and am currently runing 1.21-t, so far no more reboot.
But I agree that /e/ should try to integrate Fairphone patches faster, especially considering the anti-rollback feature.

3 Likes

Nice!
I hope it will be available very soon!

You can already try it if you enable the test channel (that what I did), or you can wait for the stable build to be moved to the stable channel. So far, no more crashes.

1 Like

Thank’s, I have tried it and there is a ready for release version I think (the 23rd march, after the RC4).
I hope it’s good now :crossed_fingers:

Yes, that should be the right build. It will soon be moved to the stable repository.

2 Likes

The rebooting bug is still here :expressionless:

1 Like

I confirm that 1.21-t does not fix the rebooting bug.

1 Like

Yep, bug still there and kicking…

1 Like

Hi @Manoj. Is there any work done on this bug recently?

It still occurs on the latest 2.0 rc, and the ticket got no answer for quite while.

We’ll be very happy to provide with any log, given instruction how to, but given how impacting randomly loosing data because of those reboots, I’ll soon sent mine to Fairphone support for re-imaging to get FPOS back.