GIGAGSET GX290 (Rugged phoned)

Dear developers.

I have been browsing the internet, if there is any custom ROM that supports rugged phones. Could not find any. Now I saw, that /e/ is running an GS290. Would it be possible to create an image for Gigaset GX290 as well?

Device: Gigaset GX290 (rugged version)
Android: Android 10
Other Roms: Did not find any
Device specifications: https://www.gigaset.com/de_de/gigaset-gx290/

Regards,
Roger

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

9 Likes

Yes please for this. The chipsets for the GS290 and GX290 look identical on the website so my guess is it would be fairly straightforward to adapt it, but I suppose that is easy for an outsider to say.
I can imagine that there is a lot of crossover between the people seeking privacy and escape from big tech and outdoor adventure seekers. The GX290 is not only rugged but has a huge battery which would suit someone camping who might still want some connection or maybe just GPS and phone for emergencies.
Can I also suggest Unihertz phones (also based on MediaTek chipsets). They have small phones which suit people wanting to escape smartphone addiction (one reviewer helpfully said ‘you won’t want to use it and that is the point’ :grinning:). They have a rugged line, the Atom and the Atom L/XL models. But also very small phone non-rugged phones like the Jelly/Jelly Pro/Jelly 2. These are a lot cheaper than the rugged/waterproof versions and a backpacker will probably already have a drybag for money, passport etc. Keep up the good work.

5 Likes

This is what’s needed! I’m looking desperately for a rugged phone supporting de-googled after changing 4th screen in XperiaXA2 and …had enough :frowning: This is a gap on the market and I hope the modification from GS to GX version might not be much. Would buy this in instant :heavy_heart_exclamation:

4 Likes

Hi! I’d also love to have /e/ on the GX290. And I really think it must be easy because Gigaset itself offers the same. ZIP for both the GS290 and the GX290 as you can See here:

Must be the same Hardware, right?
5 Likes

Would be really nice, since there are no outdoor phones available with lineage os or /e/.

3 Likes

I know Samsung phones with IP67 and IP68 waterproof certification. For example Galaxy S5 and higher.
There are outdoor suitcases for these phones available.(spigen Rugged Armor Cases, etc)

1 Like

@judydudi Thanks for your reply. But an IP68 phone with outdoor suitcase would not be the same for me. Normally those rugged phones can stand a little more “roughness” like drops from 1.5 meters, coldness and sand. Had one in the past which I took everywhere: canoeing, cross-country skiing, etc. Dropped that on rocks, sand, snow… No problem. But was Android 5 (!) Is now a MP3 Player im my kitchen. My present phone (non rugged but /e/ phone) I leave at home when I know things could get rough… A compromise like you recommended would be okay. But a real rugged phone with /e/ would be simply perfect. :-)9

4 Likes

Yes, this is what´s needed. Or did it work yet. I think GS290 and GX290 are mostly the same. Have somebody tested to install /e/ ?

Nope. Haven´t installed yet. But today I asked Gigaset if they could tell that the two phones (GS290=GX290) are alike. Let us see if they answer, or if they are totally puzzled by that technical question…

Wow… the reaction from Gigaset was fast. Here is what they told (translated from german to english)

My Questions:
Are the phones GS290 and GX290 totally alike?
Is the only difference of the GX290 that it has a rugged cover?
Do you know where the technical differences are?

Their Answers:
There are minor differences between GS290 and GX290:

• The GS290 has 1GB more RAM than GX290
  • The GS290 has a slightly better camera
  • The GX290 is rugged and has a better battery

So far so good. Has anyone an idea, what this means for the GS290 image? Is it usable for GX290, then? Is it worth a risk?
That would be perfect…

Recently, the GX290 Plus was released. That version looks even more similar to the GS290 with its 4GB of RAM. If a GS290 image would run on the GS290, then Sailfish OS and Ubuntu should too! That would be amazing.

Hi!

I’m also interrested in the GX290 Plus.

But it seems like this device isn’t “mainstream” enough to get supported by /e/ or others (like Lineage, …)?

What a shame. Would be great to see this nice outdoor phone with a better OS.

The resolution is different:
GS290 2340 x 1080 Pixels
GX290 1560 x 720 Pixels (GX290plus is the the same)

I don’t know if that would be a barrier to creating a custom ROM or not, but it is a difference. I’m surprised Gigaset didn’t mention that themselves.

Hello,

I have a GX290+ myself. With the help of others I recently managed to compile and flash lineage 17.1. The device is booting. Steps have been documented here Lineage 17.1 on GX290 ¡ GitHub

Am trying to compile with /e/, but am being too nooby.

Best regards

Sebastian

Hi Sebastian, welcome to the /e/ community!

I know that there would be support for an Unofficial GX290 build. Good work on your documentation to date.

If you were to open a thread using perhaps a New Topic in the section Build /e/ , support telling us how far you got, perhaps there are some here could help! :slight_smile:

Bon chance.

I wrote a Wiki pulling together some of the things I have learned since I started making unofficial builds of /e/ OS ROMs. You may find some of it useful

2 Likes

@petefoth
Thanks for your response. When compiling manually after envsetup.sh one has to call lunch. Is it possible to do this from outside into the docker environment passing build_type variable etc.? I have assembled a manifest, but I have to go through lunch.

I’m sorry but I have no idea. I never needed to do that when I was using Docker regularly. When I did use it, it was always ‘fire and forget’, and if he build didn’t work, then make a change then start again from scratch.

Now I almost always build without Docker, using either

If you need to call lunch, or tweak things between builds then either of these would probably be better for you than Docker

@petefoth
Here is the recipe I used. It is booting and seems OK so far.

1#Init repo
repo init -u https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/os/releases.git -b refs/tags/v0.17.1-q

2#Defining .repo/local_manifest/eos.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>
    <remote name="fdroid" fetch="https://gitlab.com/fdroid/" />
    <remote name="sfX" fetch="https://github.com/sfX-Android/" />
	<project name="GS290-dev/proprietary_vendor_gigaset" path="vendor/gigaset" remote="github" revision="lineage-17.1"/>
	<project name="GS290-dev/android_device_gigaset_mt6763-common" path="device/gigaset/mt6763-common" remote="github" />
	<project name="GS290-dev/android_kernel_gigaset_gx290" path="kernel/gigaset/gx290" remote="github" />
	<project name="GS290-dev/proprietary_vendor_firmware" path="vendor/firmware" remote="github" revision="lineage-17.1"/>
	<project name="GS290-dev/android_device_gigaset_GX290-unified" path="device/gigaset/GX290-unified" remote="github" />
	<project name="erfanoabdi/android_device_mediatek_sepolicy" path="device/mediatek/sepolicy" remote="github" />
    <project name="steadfasterX/android_vendor_e" path="vendor/e" remote="e" revision="v1-q" />
</manifest>

3#Adding device/gigaset/GX290-unified/vendorsetup.sh

export EOS_DEVICE=GX290
export EOS_BRANCH_NAME=v1-q
export EOS_USE_CCACHE=1
export EOS_CCACHE_SIZE=50G
export EOS_SIGNATURE_SPOOFING=restricted
export EOS_RELEASE_TYPE=UNOFFICIAL

4#Defining device/gigaset/GX290-unified/lineage.mk

# inherit vendor e
$(call inherit-product, vendor/e/config/common.mk)

5#Building

source build/envsetup.sh
lunch lineage_GX290-user
mka eos

6#Flash as per instructions for GS290 Install /e/ on a Gigaset GS290 - “GS290” using adb 30.0.5 as per https://dl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools_r30.0.5-windows.zip. I had trouble with 30.1.X, but it worked after downgrading.

7#After fastboot reboot the device boots correctly.

I will report when flaws have been detected during productional use.

2 Likes

Great stuff - well done. It may be worth publicisng it in the Unofficial builds category, so that other users of this device can try it out