GIGAGSET GX290 (Rugged phoned)

Meanwhile the GX290 PRO is out there somewhere Gigaset GX290 PRO - the business smartphone for extreme conditions | Gigaset with unbelievably still 1,560 x 720 pixels screen (same as GX290)

Yes, this also seems to be what the Volla Phone X is based on. If Volla can flash their own OS on it and make it work with Ubuntu Touch, I’m sure /e/ can be made to work on it. Especially since the internals are essentially the same as the GS290 which /e/ sells.

Is it keeping the sony sensors for the camera after unlocking the bootloader for installing e/?

I own a GX290 plus now for a while and it is the only real outdoor phone I have seen so far. Not to compare with any Samsung or equivalent. IP86 is one thing, MIL STD 810 G is just another level. Alloy frame, power bank functionality, wireless charging - all there. I use it on my offroad motorcycle for all kind of purposes under ALL conditions.

If I just could get rid of the preinstalled OS and use the beloved e.foundation just like on my FP3+

If e.foundation would make an official image, I would support this by purchasing another e Backer worth 128€. :grin:

BR
Uwe

hey. i’m looking for this /e/ on my gx290…would be nice.

Hi @woodpunk82, welcome to the /e/ forum. Please check out the understated URL in this post Gigaset GX290 Plus - #2 by schoeller

Hi there,
I’ve made a good backup from my ROM android 9 and tested it twice, it works.
So, back to stock is one of the first requirements of developing any further isn’t it?
Where can I drop this file (1.5 GB tar.gz, 5.5GB uncompressed ) ?

1 Like

androidfilehost is frequently used by developpers and maintainers for sharing binaries, but gitlab could be a good place as a source, if modifications have to be done.

Ah, I’ve requested upload permissions at AdroidFileHost, lets wait and see.

Here is the ROM backup for GX290 (not plus)

1 Like

Did anyone manage to build /e/OS for gx290 yet?
I would be like to test the build, so if possible please share the link.

@petefoth
@SuzieQ

compilation recipe may be updated as below tested on Ubuntu 22.04LTS. WSL2 not working so far. No clues. Please note the addition of the main developer.

Recipe for Eos 0.23.9-r:

repo init -u https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/os/releases.git -b refs/tags/v0.23.9-r
mkdir .repo/local_manifests
curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/schoeller/local_manifests/main/eos.xml > .repo/local_manifests/eos.xml
repo sync --no-clone-bundle --no-tags --optimized-fetch --prune --force-sync -j$( nproc --all )
repo forall -j$( nproc --all ) -c 'git lfs pull'

device/gigaset/GX290-unified/vendorsetup.sh:

export EOS_DEVICE=GX290
export EOS_BRANCH_NAME=v0.23.9-r
export EOS_USE_CCACHE=1
export EOS_CCACHE_SIZE=50G
export EOS_SIGNATURE_SPOOFING=restricted
export EOS_RELEASE_TYPE=UNOFFICIAL

device/gigaset/GX290-unified/lineage.mk:

# inherit vendor e
$(call inherit-product, vendor/e/config/common.mk)
ccache -M 50G
source build/envsetup.sh
lunch lineage_GX290-user
mka eos
3 Likes

is there any way one can make this into an automated OTA-setting without compromising the developers comments?

??!!
Where does that text come from? (Which github repo?)

All is based on GS290-dev.

The NOTICE file in that repo appears to licence all of the repositories for that developer under the Apache License 2.0, a permissive license that allows users to do (nearly) anything they want with the code, so long as they preserve copyright and license notices.

The text in the NOTICE file appears to forbid redistribution to /e/. The key part states …

Trees in this organization are licensed under Apache 2.0 under condition of ABE (“Anyone But /e/”).

… which is clearly trying to modify the terms of the license

But according to the Redistribution section of the Apache license 2.0

The contents of the NOTICE file are for informational purposes only and do not modify the License.

(my emphasis)

The text in the NOTICE file is clearly trying to modify the license - by disallowing distribution to /e/ - and that modification has no force (since the license states that the content of the NOTICE file is for information only).

As I read it, the code can be used and distributed however you want - including by /e/ - so long as you abide by the terms of the license and preserve copyright and license notices in the redistributed code, as allowed by the unmodified terms of the Apache 2.0 licence.

As an aside, I would be very interested to know why the owners of the GS290-dev repos don’t want their device tress to be used by /e/. Clearly there’s a story there :slight_smile:

2 Likes