Google hit by landmark competition lawsuit in the US

The US government has filed charges against Google, accusing the company of violating competition law to preserve its monopoly over internet searches and online advertising…

Read more about it here

Will that really make Google change its lucrative business model …well that is to be seen. I guess they will find a loophole in the rules

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

8 Likes

I think it’s great in that it will raise awareness in the general public about how deeply Google-dependant is our digital lifestyle nowadays.

However I don’t expect any major changes coming from this. The US government agencies have backdoor agreements with Google and other big companies to access and cross-reference their data for suveillance purposes (think NSA, PRISM and whatnot).

Furthermore they only focus on search engine & advertising, when in fact most of the strong-arm tactics happen elsewhere. I think they only have in mind their competitors and not the citizens and their civil rights. My impression is they would be perfectly happy if there were several companies following the same predatory business model instead of a large one.

Just my .02€

3 Likes

Totally agree with you @robertb, these guys are only concerned with gathering data (data lakes in order to tune AI algorithms) without having to pay for it… and making us feel like it’s for our sake… Even the original founders admitted that it was wrong… How such smart people can be so dumb sometimes (just in case they’re sincere… :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

I think one of the barriers to understanding is psychological. Many people seem to imagine things are happening where they see them happening (i.e. on the screen) and everything else is some sort of magic, Even if they concede that information may be taken from one of their devices, the existence of large data centres never enters their consciousness. I would like to think you are right, but I feel that, however well publicised this is it will go over the heads of much of the public.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 15 days. New replies are no longer allowed.