Google Pixel 4 stuck on e os s 1.17

Dears,

We are using three e os google pixels in our family. I recently discovered that the pixel 4 my wife uses is stuck on Version s1.17 and it can not find any update OTA.

1. what can be done to make it find the update OTA?
  2. what are alternative options without deleting all current data from the phone?

Thanks for looking into this.

Best regards,

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/OS the deGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

OTA V2.0 is available.
Alternative: Local update (download image from the /e/ website via eBrowser directly to the “flame”)

Manual upgrade without data loss:

1. Make sure your computer has working adb
  2. Enable USB debugging on your device.
  3. Run adb -d reboot sideload
  4. Run adb -d sideload e-2.0-t-20240508399779-dev-flame.zip

because latest “s” stable build was
e-1.7-r-20230110250404-stable-flame,
when you say "stuck on e os s 1.17" i guess you are on the DEV branch and talk about
e-1.17-s-20231111351092-dev-flame
https://doc.e.foundation/devices/flame/install

as @Xxpsilon says, dirty-flash could work nevertheless, but
BACKUP YOUR THINGS BEFORE ANYTHING !

Wasn’t flame also one of the devices which needed additional partitions? :thinking: Is that included in the recovery when it is flashed?

The version the phone “stays on”…is e-1.17-s-20231109350748-stable-flame.

Since that relase now 5 updates are availabel and have sucessfully been made for the pixel 5 we have in use and even the pixel 3 (there only 4) via OTA.

Thus my question was pointing to the fact that it seems the pixel 4 is not " receiving" the updates ota.

Hence, how can i update the phone without loosing data.

I understand a sideload can be an option,correct?

Best regards,

Making regular backups should be a matter of course - even if it seems annoying. A separate reference to a backup should therefore not even be necessary. If you don’t make a backup of your most important data before an update or upgrade, you don’t have to worry about data loss if something goes wrong, because something unforeseen can always happen - even with an /e/OS OTA update!

My last successful manual upgrade from /e/OS Q (Quince Tart) to T ( Tiramisu):

1 Like

Understood!

But i will not upgrade from Android S to Android T. I just want the most recent stable Android S update (being e os 2.0).

I will make a data backup but will hope the sideload will simply update it as wished and nothing more.

Best regards,

Since he is already, on S it is not necessary.

Sorry…what is not necessary?

To flash additional partitions.

As you wrote you are on 1.17-s-stable. Therefore you should be able tu update to v2.0

…Via adb sideload,yes?

I will report back once done

you have not received notifications,
but please try to actualise (10 times if necessary) in → settings → system uptader

Try what piero suggests

Dears, my apollogies…i was wrong as i seem to be unable to separate the pixel 4 my wife uses vs my work pixel 4!!!

Mine is on the android 12 stable tree but my wife is on “android 12 dev”!!! Hence it stays on 1.17 as that is the latest dev build.

My correct question would thus have been…

" can you dirty flash from android 12 1.17 dev to Android 12 1.17 stable?
Any experience doing it without assuming to reinstall all aps etc? "

Back up of the important data is done meanhwile.

Best regards,

TWRP should do the trick for backup “/data” except “internal storage”,
as wil you stay on the same android level you should be abble to recover “/data” after formating it.
don’ t restore “/system” as you will change it.

try it but you could be forced to perform a factory-reset if not boot…

Going from 1.17 dev to 1.17 stable, the process stops at about 47% saying “signature verification failed”.

I asks me to install it anyways. Hmmm here i am not sure what this means.
Isbthis something typical from dev to stable?

Thanks for the support.

Best regards

Stupid question maybe
…do i also need to update the recovery img from 1.17 dev to 1.17 stable?

In most cases this is fine.

Edit, you are going from stable to dev still

Updating the recovery is quite a good idea, not essential, but I would do it at this stage.

Going from dev to stable:)

Still you assume this error code 21 is no issue?

Sorry about missing your direction of travel to stable. The direction of the change does not affect my suggestion.

Not quite “no issue”, but it is a warning rather than an error at this stage.

In your place I would accept the warning.

I guess you have not done Format data.

If you do Format data, there is no guarantee that the warning will go away. Edit What you plan is not a “follow on” upgrade, and the change of build type involves different signing keys

signed by /e/OS dev keys
signed by /e/OS stable keys

… so this would seem a valid reason for the warning … however some builds throw the warning seemingly without an obvious reason but install just fine.