GS290 - is there a way to get back to factory Android?

Alright, thank you for your reply… I’ll bring my phone to a store to see if they can do something, because there is still the sound of active connection when I plug it to my computer.

1 Like

have you tried that ?
fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification boot boot.img

1 Like

Just for others who read along later, here is a screenshot from this mtktool version of sp-flashtool.

https://mtktool.com/sp-flash-tool-v5-1708

The screenshot shows the warning: Now Untick the Preloader option (flashing the preloader.bin can brick the device).

Message to reader, this may not be the manual for your latest version of SP Flash Tool. But it shows the importance of

Reading The Manual.

3 Likes

but I can’t access the smartphone. It is completly bricked. So there is no where to type commandos to.

But thank you

I just got mine and in the manual it says the phone contains Open Source software that can be downloaded from the main page.

Intrigued, i checked the URL provided in the manual:
https://www.gigaset.com/es_es/cms/lp/open-source.html

There are zip files, several GB in size, for almost every of their device models, GS290 and GS290X included.

I downloaded mine (14GB in size) and when i checked it i saw this:

I’m no android expert, but doesn’t this look like the full stock rom? Can anyone confirm? I mean… if the stock rom contains 14GB worth of Open Source code…

Also, checking under Settings>System>About phone>Legal, as stated in the manual, i see an endless list of files, most of them indicated to come from the Android Open Source Project.

As i said, i haven’t even worked on custom roms so i’m not an expert, but it looks like it uses Open Source Android as a base.

3 Likes

Hi @gunmask welcome and what a stunning first post!

This is correct and known. What is new to me is that they have at last published this, I see also an international edition.

I have no GS290 but thank you for sharing this.

I seem to have been over hopeful. …

this is the source code, you will need the firmware, built and signed by gigaset

https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/3429

1 Like

Thank you. This link is very helpfull. But I do not now which number I should use and downloud when I follow the link and come to the Gigaset custompage for firmware DL.

So anyone can build for the rugged model ?

1 Like

Excuse me for not being updated and have read all the new topics. But it has being a while and I had to learn Fedora linux and some basics about computers before retry to reinstall my bricked GS290 which has being in the draw since I bricked it while using Easy install but by mistake forgot to update to Android 10 from the 9 version which the Gigaset GS290 came with from Conrad e-store. Before bying a new ready installed from the Efoundation shop. I would know if someone had the same experience or if there is new updates or knowledge of how to reinstall the factory OEM by Gigaset. The link you @piero posted seems to lead to which OS OEM I am looking for but I am in doubt of which one I shoul choose and how to flash and the other procedures from here.

Please help

November 20, 2021
Yes, I also am in the continous loop. Updated all available OTA updates, then used the Easy Installer.
Reboot was oke, the new system was up and running, but wifi switch was grayed out and bluetooth app kept crashing.
So I did a manual installation with fastboot, using the version r30 of fastboot to be found here:
https://dl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools_r30.0.5-linux.zip
All images flashed well, but no system is booting.
I have finally flashed recovery to TWRP , this is working… but my guess is that boot.img does not have the right kernel to boot the system.
Does anyone have an alternative boot.img ?

1 Like

Interesting link your send me. It worked downloading the files but now I have to install them by the CLI at Fedora 34 Linux OS. I’m still learning. Couldn’t start my Easy installer. So will have to update it before I can go any further.

Hi @anon21640558 maybe this link is a good up to date review since your last visit Gigaset - GS290 - gs290 - Documentation Suggestions - #69 by mc21

It also includes the idea that the very newest 2021 update to the device is actually in advance of the /e/ “base”.

The "too new"idea also appears here. WI-FI Problem on GS290 after installation e/OS

I used platformtools like this:
./platform-tools/fastboot flashing unlock
./platform-tools/fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification boot boot.img
./platform-tools/fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
./platform-tools/fastboot flash system system.img
./platform-tools/fastboot -w
./platform-tools/fastboot reboot

1 Like

Nice. I will have a look on that :grinning:

it works perfectly !!! Thank you

1 Like

There are 2 stock rom boot images - hopefully you can access them?

Maybe somebody help me with my issue. After an unsuccessful firmware update, my Volla Phone was completely bricked. I am using SP Flashtool for reanimation it. But… I lost IMEI :(((. Almost all links in this article Volla Phone IMEI Repair | Rúben Carneiro (rubencarneiro.github.io) does not work. Also after failed update fastboot does not work on my device. I am succesfully connect to the phone, but when reboot in fastboot mode computer lost communicate with my phone and I can’t to unlock bootloader. Also when I am trying to get back to factory Android (firmware for Gigaset GS 290) SP Flashtool returned error STATUS_SEC_INSUFFICIENT_BUFFER. I’m desperate…

Hi,
the only way I found out - to do that - is to flash a Backup(from SP Flash Tool) of all Partitions from your device with mtkclient-main from Bjoern Kerler. You have to press a certain key combination after you connect your black screen device that mtkclient-main will find it. SP Flash Tool won’t do it in that situation.It is hard work to setup all correct drivers on your windows PC but It is possible to wake up the Phone again - so Good luck to you!
Best regards
Didi

If your carrier allows it, you can view your APN settings in one of the following locations: Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Cellular Network. Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network

https://www.apnsettingsandroid.com/2021/12/apn-settings-for-unlimited-data-usa-on.html