I attempted to install /e/ community on my wife’s new Gigaset GS290, everything seemed fine until it rebooted at the end, it is now a brick, any ideas?
I have the log available if anyone can help? I can’t get into recovery mode etc. Phone won’t power on,
The log is always interesting I’d say. That and the information which operating system you use on your computer.
fedora 33, followed this: Install /e/ OS Installer on Fedora using the Snap Store | Snapcraft
What is the best way to share the log file?
Two suggestions are in the log section of Howto troubleshoot issues with the easy-installer
also any suggestions to revive my GS290 paper weight?
That log looks completely fine to me. So unfortunately no hint here that points to the source of your trouble.
I don’t have a GS290 myself, so I don’t have a good advice on how to get it running again.
Usually I’d say, try to follow the install instructions for the stock ROM, but no idea if that exists. And it’s probably next to impossible when the phone doesn’t even power on.
I’m seeing this repeatedly:
[20707.869306] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0e8d, idProduct=2000, bcdDevice= 1.00
[20707.869318] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[20707.869323] usb 1-1: Product: MT65xx Preloader
[20707.869327] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: MediaTek
[20707.895979] cdc_acm 1-1:1.0: Zero length descriptor references
[20707.895993] cdc_acm: probe of 1-1:1.0 failed with error -22
[20707.975546] cdc_acm 1-1:1.1: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
[20710.542180] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 73
looks like the phone is in some kind of loop, but I can’t break out of it…
I don’t have a GS290 either. Did you try the search already? …
Just to understand… did you saw the “e” logo or not at all?
Yes, not found a solution for this, can’t connect to the device from linux or windows
Nothing, installer said it had completed, phone screen went black - dead.
Does the phone have a removable battery? Maybe taking it out for a while gets you somewhere new. I had something similar when I flashed my FP3.
I’ve managed to reinstall the standard gigaset phone OS with sp flash tool, will try again with /e, might use ubuntu or windows on the next try and I can’t figure out what went wrong before.
Be sure that your gs290 is updates to Android 10 before you try again.
Two simple things to eliminate, did you use the usb cable supplied with the phone? The GS290 manual specifies this as a data cable. Are the USB ports on your PC or laptop coloured blue, indicating USB 3?
I had the same behaviour few days ago when I installed mine…
In reality the original os was not erased, because my first try went wrong.
No reaction from the phone, black screen, like a brick, until playing with the volume/power button it comes back to live… (try to plug/unplug to usb port during this step, with the physical keys)
And there strangely, I saw Gigaset + Android logo as a new install, had to reset all the phone settings on the standard os (language, timezone, wifi,…), so I think we are missing one step on the provided procedure.
The unsuccessfull test blocked after the volume up procedure, but sincerely text is too small, it was impossible to read it.
When you have this “new chance”, you have to re-allow the usb permissions etc before to try again. I do not remember anyway if I had a little update around 100mb to be installed, maybe yes.
I can only suggest you to use Ubuntu and the easy installer (be sure to have a full updated version of Ubuntu before starting, and properly installed on your HD. In my case the Live versions didn’t finished well the process, the easy installer was returning unknowns errors).
I don’t think color of the port is a standard. You have ports 2.0 in blue and 3.1 in black. It depends on the manufacturer if they choose to follow the recommandations or not.
But it is not clear if it’s better to use a ss port or not for the os install…
So I was able to install e last night by using a windows 10 computer and the easy installer (beta), worked perfectly this time so I can’t offer an explanation as to why the first install using easy installer on Fedora 33 failed. Per comments above there were no clues in the installer log from Fedora.
My Wife is happy with her new e phone now, that is the main thing!