GSI for A11, A12, A13, A14 news updates

Just wondering. Any news on later version GSI ? The A10 Q won’t boot on newer phones and an e/os GSI would be great for unsupported devices.

1 Like

Currently - and probably for a long time to come - our only option is to install other “vanilla” Generic System Images (GSI) and equip them with MinMicroG

Ungoogled-GSI, LeOS is maintained by @Harvey186 an ex very active guy on this community.e.foundation forum.

https://leos-gsi.de/

is labeled “official” by @phhusson

Android 13 based GSI on XDA :
https://xdaforums.com/t/aosp-13-leos-ungoogled-gsi.4504181/

Android 14 based
https://leos-cloud.de/s/JFrFgLgSSTEMtmL?path=%2FLeOS-U

i promiss to delete this post when /e/ GSI will be released

Hi. thanks for reply. Looking forward to e/os gsi. hopefully soon :wink:
Im currently a lineage gsi on a moto g9 play. Its running perfect apart from signature spoofing not supported. I had a look at the MinMicroG but I dont understand what to do with it. I cant see any downloads or clear instructions.

I will download and try LeOS roms. thanks for the links.

@piero, I doubt that it will still be possible to delete your post, because the editability is very limited in time.

The developer of LeOS is undoubtedly a GSI expert. But his GSI design takes some getting used to and his implementation of microG is reactive.

@damod11, If you take a closer look at MinMicroG, you will also find clear installation instructions. There are several ways to install MinMicroG, e.g.: manually, via minimal microG installer, as a MagisK module.

It depends on which GSI you use. Not every “vanilla” GSI supports signature spoofing. Signature spoofing checker apps often do not work with GSI based on AOSP 12, 13, 14 and show an incorrect result.

GSI developers strangely rarely talk about MicroG, although their GSI versions support signature spoofing. You often have to do a lot of research to find corresponding MicroG information from GSI developers. Everyone is talking about the integration of GApps. A sign of how pervasive the Google ethos is.

Examples of GSI distributions with signature spoofing support that I have tested:

AOSP (TrebleDroid Builders); AOSP (ponces), crDroid (Nazim), LineageOS
TD-based - LineageOS 18.1, 19.1, 20.0 (AndyYan); pure AOSP 14 VoltageOS (chrisaw).

Modification is limited in time, but deleting is still possible.

LeOS’s implemented MicroG fork version is not a replacement for /e/OS-GSI for me, especially since various apps that use GMS do not work. Alternate MicroG versions, on the other hand, work as well as the /e/OS MicroG fork.

I am not consider it as a remplacement (no integrated cloud services and /e/ specifics features etc…), but a ungoogled workaround awaiting the /e/OS GSI that is promissed for several years…(since Harvey Leave/e/OS → LeOS : Lol)

@ronnz98 do you think reachable for you to take @Harvey186 's sources and try to build an e-1.21-t-UNOFFICIAL-GSI ?

/e/OS-T GSI will - perhaps one day - close a gap in the GSI landscape, as it allows especially newer device generations not supported by custom ROMs to be degoogled with /e/OS, even if not everything works one hundred per cent.

By the way: I have a Xiaomi Mi A2, which will probably be removed from /e/OS-R support in a few months { “For now we will continue building A11, but probably not for so long (and without security patches)” } equipped with AOSP 14 + microG suite 3.1.x. All basic functions and apps work. So the chances of a longer life are very high.

1 Like

@GaelDuval but not only,

For years, my opinion is that GSI could be a very interresting promotion tool, to attract new users /clients to discover /e/ unified UI and ecosystem (with the warning that not all features will be there), like a “demo version” : "test /e/OS ! " and then buy a fully compatible device.

v2.0 should be released in a month, we will see if the /e/team share my thinking and jump on that opportunity…

1 Like

Sorry, I can’t build GSI. I suppose its not easy either. If someone wants to help I can make I try…

1 Like

As always, it’s easy if you know how and can do it … :upside_down_face:

How to build a Project Treble GSI ROM from source?

1 Like

Concerning this link: Please note that there appears to be a security issue with xz-utils. (version 5.6.0 and 5.6.1)

See tweakers.net (Dutch) 31/03/2024 13:02 referring to a message of Andres Freund https://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2024/03/29/4

No it isn’t unfortunately. I know this how-to and also the one from Andy Yan. Did never succeed to do an /e/OS GSI. And ok, I did not try much…

https://github.com/AndyCGYan/lineage_build_unified

ok, tried those links. they wont boot as they are vndk and only will boot on a device where the rom version and factory stock version are the same android release. I found a spoofing compatible GSI. ColtOS A13 in here - https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/wiki/Generic-System-Image-(GSI)-list
Im only running this untill e/os release their own.

Is that really so? No, several GSI developers in the way you Generic System Image (GSI) list linked by you offer {a64|arm64}_{a|b}{v}{N|S} GSI images - in addition to vndklite. However, GSI versions with GAPPS are unfortunately in the clear majority.

I agree that GSI are a great way to have /e/OS run on potentially any modern device that can be unlocked, but I’m not convinced about using them to have regular people try /e/OS. Reasons:

1. it’s a complicated process, that can potentially fail
  2. it needs to flash the system and erase user data

To demo the system there are two things we could do (with more time):

1. have an online demo connected to emulators that we would provision on the fly
  2. have a locally running emulator with /e/OS. So users would just have to download an app and run it to try /e/OS. I’ve seen this already for a custom Android ROM, but I’m unsure the technology they are using (would be easy on a PC with QEmu, VirtualBox, docker…)
1 Like

I have had very good experiences with the /e/OS-Q GSI and really miss an updated version. But at the same time, I also understand that further development takes time and manpower. As these components are rare, /e/OS-T GSI remains a pipe dream.

Installing a GSI is not the same for every device, especially for devices that have been factory upgraded from stock Android 8.1 to 9.0 and 10.0. These versions usually do not support Android dynamic partitions (super partitions), so that the /e/OS-Q GSI installation could not be installed according to GSI /e/ installation instructions (for example fastboot reboot fastboot ).

Numerous GSI installations have only worked for me after multiple attempts (trial-and-error procedure). However, my example Xiaomi Mi A2 ~ AOSP 14 with MicroG-Suite shows what is possible.

1 Like