Help! Easy-installer process interrupted - how do I continue?

Hello.

All appeared to be going well. I had got through quite a bit of the easy-installer process, and then, my PC decided to overheat and shut itself off. The PC is back on with Easy-installer back up, and I have kept pressing the ‘continue’ button to where it says ‘Device detection Looking for your device…’ but then nothing happens. My Samsung Galaxy s9 is stuck on this screen (please see below), and I have no clue what to tap, or what to do to continue the process. Can anybody help please?

I am using Linux Mint on my PC, just so you know.

After looking at the installation guide for this phone, I have tried tapping ‘Advanced’ and then ‘adb sideload’ and this resulted in some action, but I am not sure what it did, if anything. When I repeat this (tapping on ‘Advanced’ and then ‘adb sideload’), I get two options: Wipe Dalvik Cache, and Wipe Cache. I don’t know which I would choose, if any.

I’ve got no experience with the easy-installer but now you are in the TWRP-Recovery-System. This is the instrument to install the custom rom (/e/OS).
You may try following this installation guide for flashing /e/OS at the S9: Install /e/ on a Samsung Galaxy S9 - “starlte” beginning with the section “1. Boot into TWRP”
As preparation you’ve got to install adb and fastboot in Linux Mint by the command “sudo apt-get install adb fastboot” (or follow this guide: Installing adb and fastboot on Linux PC)

Hello caos, and thanks for your help.

I have used the command you provided, but I do not see where you mean when you say “1. Boot into TWRP”. Right now my phone is on this:

You already are in TWRP, by default it has an automatic lock after some inactivity.
Swipe right and use the middle bottom button to return to main menu if needed.

1 Like

For the sideload you got to connect the phone with your PC via usb.
Then these are the steps following the guide:
"* In TWRP return to main menu, then tap Wipe

• Now tap Format Data and continue with the formatting process.Here a new screen may show where you will have to type Yes and confirm the action by clicking a button.

Caution: Format Data will remove encryption as well as delete all files stored on the internal storage. Remember to take a backup first. Check Requirements section above.

• Return to the previous menu and tap Advanced Wipe.
  • Select the Cache and System partitions to be wiped and then Swipe to Wipe
  • Sideload the /e/ .zip package.

Tip: Sideload requires actions in two places to be done. One on your phone in the TWRP UI and secondly on the connected PC which should have adb enabled. Also note the sideload process while running may stop abruptly around 50%. The console would show a message Total xfer: 1.00x. This would mean that the transfer has successfully completed.

• On the device in TWRP,

select Advanced, ADB Sideload, then swipe to begin sideload."

This is on the PC in Terminal:

• On the host machine, in the console , start the sideload of the package by typing
 adb sideload filename.zip

You got change into the folder which contains the zip-file (cd…) or paste the whole path (for example “/home/YOURUSERNAME/Downloads/FILENAME.zip”)
Tip: Change the filename to the name of the file you downloaded

• Once installation has finished, return to the main menu, tap Reboot, and then System"
3 Likes

As far as I can make out, the Easy-Installer has ceased working, and I am having to do things manually. The problem is that I am not sure what stage the Easy-Installer gave up the ghost, but it looks like I am up to the ‘patch’ point in the manual process?

Just follow the excellent post by @caos :slight_smile:

I’ve followed most of your instructions, but I’m stuck on the filename. What would the filename be please?

This is the file you’ve got to download here (in install guide):
grafik
For S9 you can choose between to versions, Q or Oreo. Which did you choose?

I didn’t do this part because Easy-Installer did everything for me. So I don’t know what the filename is.

If you choose Q dev
grafik
if you choose Oreo:
grafik
The file had to be saved on your PC. Maybe you got to download it (again)

Sorry caos. I am lost on this bit. Do you know where I can find the file on my PC (Linux Mint)?

You are at step 7) or 8) off this guide

You may search for it in your file manager or just download it again in your downloads-folder

Sorry, but how do I search a file when I don’t know what it is or what it is called? And how do I download it again if I need to? I didn’t really understand your previous post. Sorry - I am not very computer savvy.

It is probably stored in the “lasy instabler” folder

but you can download it from /e/ server :

stable https://images.ecloud.global/stable/starlte/ android 8 based

dev https://images.ecloud.global/dev/starlte/ android 10 based

If you Paste it to your device internal memory (after the wipe), you will be abble simply to use the TWRP install feature
like in step 8) of
an Unified Install Guide Project for /e/
or
[HOWTO] install /e/ on a Samsung Device successfully using Linux

I am not seeing anything in my ‘downloads’ folder. Does this mean it didn’t download in the first place?

If I am now having to choose, which is better, the ‘stable’ or the other one?

On this site:
https://doc.e.foundation/devices/starlte/install
You’ve got to klick on either “Q dev” or “Oreo Stable”
grafik
Q is a newer version and Oreo is older but more stable.
This is how you may download it.
Or you open your file-manager (nemo if you got Linux mint Cinnamon) and tab strg + f (search) and try the phrase “starlte.zip” or “e-0.19” to find the file that maybe easy-installer has already downloaded.