Help! Easy-installer process interrupted - how do I continue?

If both are giving that result both are installed. Fine.

So download the sha256sum file that sits alongside the .zip you downloaded.
Then open it in a text editor. In a Terminal run the command as I showed above.

You see that I was working in ~/Downloads as that is where the .zip file was.

Iā€™ve right-clicked the link for the sha256sum to open under a new tab, and asked to save the file in Downloads. This resulted in a box saying something along the lines of not being able to save it, but it appeared in my Downloads anyway, and when I click on it from there, I see it also does the ~/Downloads

Sorry - what is the command to put into the Terminal now? /tabitha/~Downloads and then use the copy and paste for this long .zip?

I did not really understand!

Can you simply start a Terminal. Do
pwd
I expect you to see your name! Do
cd Downloads
Letā€™s check you are in the same folder as your downloads. Do
ls -l
Those are both lower case L.
If you see both the file.zip (with a size of 900MB or so)
and the file.zip.shasum
you can just do
cat file.zip.shasum
then
sha256sum file.zip

In a Linux terminal you can do copy and paste by, Select text. move cursor to target position, press middle mouse button,

OK, I did all that. The file.zip has a number of 786101091, which I assume is the size of it.

I tried the two last commands you listed, and they both resulted in ā€˜no such file or directoryā€™.

please can you show the output of

ls -l

You probably have to change filename in the command

1 Like

What @Piero meant was you canā€™t just copy ā€œfileā€.zip You have to paste in the ā€œactual filenameā€.zip
Your command will look like the example I gave earlier.

Better?

Only a bit better!

Just so we get our terminology right, I asked for and demonstrated ā€œactual filenameā€

But you substituted path and filename.

You did not need path in this case as you already ā€œmoved intoā€ the directory you wanted to work in.

So I should type into the Terminal cat e-0.19etc.zip.sha256sum
?
The path is /home/tabitha/Downloads
?

Iā€™ve tried cat e-0.19-o-20211023142277-stable-starlte.zip.sha256sum and it seems to match

I find the screenshots hard to read. I see one time it failed, one time you got a result. My eyes are not good enough to tell why!!

Perhaps you could practice copying your output onto a editor, and try to get your output to mimic mine. If you get that to work, you could copy it here when it looks right. The output must mimic post #75

cat is just meant to be an easy way to generate line 1.

What I didnā€™t understand about that is the bit about lineage, as I donā€™t see that anywhere with what I have done on my PC.

Ok I understand that. I did not have your .zip on my computer.
So I just quickly picked up that checksum trace from my own ~/Downloads folder.
The veeery long string at the start of line 1 is the ā€œhashā€. Hash is the magic product of the checksum command.
When someone uploads a file, they take the hash and publish it alongside so any one can do their own checksum to verify it.

All the lineage bit is the ā€œactual filenameā€

OK. I am trying to understand. I will have a go replicating and copying it here in a moā€¦

9891ac79f1a1dc3c78cb73578c512c9e6786c0b65c8ab5d262063dbc61bdca7d lineage-19-o-20211023142277-recovery-a3xelte.img
tabitha@tabitha-HP-G62-Notebook-PC-:~Downloads$ sha256sum lineage-19-o-20211023142277-recovery-a3xelte.img

I feel sure you are going to tell me I have got this wrong, and I wouldnā€™t be surprised, as the recovery a3 etc. is not making any sense to me.

I am new to all this, so I am following you quite blindly. Thank you for your patience!

I feel sure it is time for a break!

You still have three choices, and it is still possible for things to go wrong, I am not in your chair!

• Restart Easy Installer
  • install via TWRP and SD card,
  • or install via TWRP and sideload.

I never saw your answer to my question, ā€œSo did the familiar Easy Installer interface appear after that screen?ā€ Post #51

Different written instructions look more intuitive to different individuals!

Remember you have the install instructions as given in the link in Post #2 to double check with.

Do you have platform-tools installed? If not, please use the latest version and not apt-get in Mint.

If yes, you would be in a position to pick up Post #6 again.

I think Iā€™ve done it:
after Downloads$ I put in sha256sum followed by the e-0.19etc.zip and there was a pause and it has turned out the same but with the hash in front of it, and the sha256sum gone. I think thatā€™s it?

Thatā€™s ok being patient.

I am following you quite blindly

Is less ok! To consolidate learning: To verify your download
we used the cat command on a text file to output the contents.

Then the sha256sum on a .zip file to produce a ā€œhashā€.

Then we compared the hash produced by the original distributor, with the hash you produced and found them identical.

If identical you verified the download.

I will be sure to check in tomorrow.

1 Like

Hey guess what? I have /e/ OS on my phone! Yay!
I knew I was near the end and thatā€™s why I wanted to try and finish it before going to bed.

Thank you SOOO much!

4 Likes